Outstanding dosbox performance on custom built dosbox with optimisations for Pyra.

It's not "playable", at least not on my CC Pandora, sadly. I know Dungeon Keeper very well, played it to death on PC and on CC Pandora it is definitive far away from full-speed. SlideShow does not count as playable. ;)    Maybe it runs great on the 1GHz Pandora but I don't have one. ^^"

I figured i'd test another game..

Here's tomb raider. Ptitseb would love this one. No 3D acceleration or anything. I switched the graphics to high mid game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs7qae864jkzi8p/tombraider.m4v?dl=0

It's not "playable", at least not on my CC Pandora, sadly. I know Dungeon Keeper very well, played it to death on PC and on CC Pandora it is definitive far away from full-speed. SlideShow does not count as playable. ;)    Maybe it runs great on the 1GHz Pandora but I don't have one. ^^"

Dungeon Keeper FX works fine in Wine on x64 hardware.. However on Exagear it doesn't seem to work :(  I've got the GOG version of Dungeon keeper gold, i'll try it out later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played with the 3dfx module and openglide (on the Pandora anly for now). And in fact, with glshim, it works.

It's too slow to be useable on the Pandora, but it will be interesting on the Pyra.

I have visual artefacts also, not sure if it's openglide or glshim, (I think openglide), but that's a start...

Also, the lfb emulation (and the read part of it) seems quite slow, I have to check how this is emulated...

View attachment 12655

redgard4.png

screamer2_1.png

screamerally1.png

I worked a bit on DOSbox / openglide.

I have fixed the issue when you set "lfb=write" (huge speed up in the Screamer games) where the 2D bliting are to big (the "Screamer 2" title in the above screenshot).

Both Screamer are not playable on the Pandora anyway.

But I still have a big issue with Texture Mapping. It can be seen in both Screamers screenshot, but it is even more visible with Tomb raider: Unfinished Business. FPS seems good on this one, but the texture issue make it unplayble. I suspect the issue be in the texture coordinate handling of glshim, where only s and t are used, and it seems w (the 4th parameter) is important with glglide. I'll have to change quite a few things in glshim to change this (I wanted to do it anyway, to try support hardware cube maps).

trub1.png

Thanks a lot for continuing to work on the Pandora! Those of us who won't switch to Pyra (at least not now) are grateful :)

Looking good :)

Even tomb raider is looking better, particularly that environment/background - it's still perhaps a bit more tessellated than it originally was, but it's a lot better than it was, meaning that game apparently had two problems, one of which is now sorted.  Now it just looks like some of the gouroud shading seems to be done upside down or back to front or something.  Wonky normals or a fritzed lightmap would be my guess.

Wow that look realy good.

I have here a Dosbox Win95 Image.

When you release a TestPND with Dosbox 3DFX then i would be glad to test some early 3dfx Windows Games like RedlineRacer :)

This does mean that dosbox is making use of the pyra gpu. Or this is only being tested on the pandora?

Anyhow, impressive work, this is very promising.

This does mean that dosbox is making use of the pyra gpu. Or this is only being tested on the pandora?

Anyhow, impressive work, this is very promising.

I believe Pandora only at the moment. Still need GPU drivers for the Pyra.

Depends which 'this' you're talking about.  I suspect Wally's testing on an OMAP devboard, but Ptitseb's 3dfx changes he's testing on his Pandora only.  I'm not sure though.

Linear Frame Buffer. On the 3Dfx, you can get access to the Frame Buffer (the actual 2D picture that will be shown), using gruLock function. You can then draw on it like if it was a 2D screen, then you gruUnlock (or you forget it in the case of Caramgeddon) to release the LFB. This is use for all GUI / 2D elements (like tachometer, position, mini-map for racing games).

On OpenGlide, those effect are quite expensive, even when not doing the read (that is emulated using a glReadPixel that kill all performances on mobile GPU), the LFB (that is 565 BGR format) is 1st converted to BGRA (using a colorkey to get transparencie), and then the changed zone is drawn on the screen. The LFB is 2048x2048 so even just the "write" process is quite cpu intensive.

I have to work on that, but I would first like to fix TR glitchy shadows.

You are THE man! Is there any chance to try Carmageddon and see if this fix the graphical glitch it have?

http://dosgamer.com/carmageddon/

EDIF: Oh ASDFG... Why I was so excited with the last screenshot that I didn't read the whole thread XD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back