Nubs and a Schedule (2010-11-04)

It's amazing how the Pandora was designed, created, assembled and shipped in only Two Months. ;)

As a batch2'er, I'm really happy for the rest of batch1 finally getting their devices after such a long wait. I'm even happier that I won't have to wait that long for my Pandora.

It's amazing how the Pandora was designed, created, assembled and shipped in only Two Months. ;)

As a batch2'er, I'm really happy for the rest of batch1 finally getting their devices after such a long wait. I'm even happier that I won't have to wait that long for my Pandora.

True... those delays have been annoying and exhausting... but while we're moving slowly, we're moving forward :)

Batch 2 truly shouldn't cause as much trouble as Batch 1.

Are all the nubs going to the board company,

what would happen to people who needed replacements, would the entire board be replaced or does craig ( or somebody in UK) have the skills and equipment to re-solder a new set of nubs on)

We've got a lot of boards where the nubs will be replaced. They will be shipped to the board company to be replaced, it takes a lot of time to replace them without a proper tool.

Why would this mean the end of the Pandora? You said a few more broken nubs in the post and this would happen or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would this mean the end of the Pandora? You said a few more broken nubs in the post and this would happen or something?
Out of the 900 units produced with the initial nubs is what he meant. If all 4000 Pandoras were manufactured using those initial production nubs, it would have greatly hindered the success of the Pandora. The fact that only 900 units have been made and production was halted to fix this issue of nub quality has allowed the Pandora to stay the course and break the Two Month™ curse. That's my thoughts on it.

Out of the 900 units produced with the initial nubs is what he meant. If all 4000 Pandoras were manufactured using those initial production nubs, it would have greatly hindered the success of the Pandora. The fact that only 900 units have been made and production was halted to fix this issue of nub quality has allowed the Pandora to stay the course and break the Two Month™ curse. That's my thoughts on it.

The production halt also helped OP to find and solve other problems with the Pandora. It seems to me that the Pandoras produced from here on will be actual retail quality, rather than a sort of 'public prototype'.

Think so as well. They might be a few days late because they really want to do extensive testing... but HEY! After two months, they're there! And working so far! :D

Damnit, ED. You should know better than that.

Also, it's been (more than) two years, now, not two months.

4000 Pandoras with broken nubs would mean A LOT of additional costs for RMAs!

Think about it: Craig sells worldwide with some shipping costs of 40 - 50 USD sometimes.

They need to be send back, repaired and send to the customer again.

That would add up to 400.000 USD shipping costs (well, if all 4000 units were broken).

I'm happy that not all of the 900 are broken, as thould would already have lead to crazy shipping costs.

So, yeah, luckily, only 900 units were shipped so far.

I can't recall we started shipping units two years ago? :eek:

Well, you did start shipping well over two months ago.

In fact, it was almost six!

However, I was referring to the "after two months, they're here" comment, which you've been saying for (more than) two years, now.

The production halt also helped OP to find and solve other problems with the Pandora. It seems to me that the Pandoras produced from here on will be actual retail quality, rather than a sort of 'public prototype'.
Yeah, my unit after getting LCD replaced is ten times more solid than the what I received initially. I really hope these nubs are solid and the boards start shipping to the UK ASAP.

Well, you did start shipping well over two months ago.

In fact, it was almost six!

However, I was referring to the "after two months, they're here" comment, which you've been saying for (more than) two years, now.

Errm, yeah, but I was talking about since the Nub manufacturer found out what's wrong and started to fix it.

That was approx. two months ago.

Errm, yeah, but I was talking about since the Nub manufacturer found out what's wrong and started to fix it.

That was approx. two months ago.

I beg to differ. Two months ago we were already in another batch of testing, but it still wasn't good enough.

The nub company first decided there was something wrong after some more extensive testing which was four (!) months ago. For them to be testing at that point, they must have had good evidence that something wasn't right. In fact, we had these suspicions almost FIVE months ago.

Yes, I'm glad the nub company has been very good about fixing the problem (read: their fault) without cost to OPT. Yes, they could also have taken a lot longer about it. But we're still not out of the woods yet, because they haven't been installed and tested on the boards by the board manufacturer. And don't tell me that it's been all sun and roses. Sometimes time flies, but it hasn't slipped by so quickly for some of us.

I wondered how long it would be before these boards turned into GP32X

Personally, I think the realistic view is that at most 1000 more units will ship this year. Naturally, we all hope it will be more but history has taught us otherwise.

I'm kinda wondering though, how will these 1000 units be distributed amongst Craig, ED, Fatih and spare parts? Just so I can estimate my chances of getting a Pandora.

Ok dilemia time.. for me anyway.. I want to take at least some form of retro gaming device on my USA trip in 4 weeks time Dec18.. I was hoping I'd get my Pandora by then back in Oct it's cutting it VERY close that I may not.. I am approx 1100 - 1200 was told back in Feb.

Now I'm not going to throw a tanty that I may not receive it before I go and sure as hell not going to cancel my order cause I still want it baaaaad, I ordered in the first wave.

So my backup for this dilema was to order the icontrolpad and take that, but that has a similar issue, Ordering starts on Nov20.. and production starts after that? Or are they already being made, and Nov20 will be acutal units for sale? I unfortunatley put my hand up too late for a beta test unit, I work for a mobile carrier.

Failing that should I get a *cough* Caanoo and use that until I get back? Bit pricey for 3 weeks of use.. Where is the cheapest place to get it from? Hmmmmmm

or maybe a Wiz?

Ok dilemia time.. for me anyway..
I'm not saying you did, buy in case you did, don't base your decisions on my frustrated rants please.

The last official schedule I have seen is this one.

Another quick update:

First nubs have arrived at the board factory, will be soldered to the boards and tested.

The rest (all needed ones) should follow soon.
This shows that they started two days late (which was known due to a delay at the nub factory.

I don't know the exact number, but I think it's only 200 to make sure they really work.

They will be placed on retail boards, so those at least will be some real new units then.

If they work without any problems, the rest of the nubs should follow next week.

We tried to get more samples to have higher amount of units to build, but the nub company is being triple careful (well, no wonder, they already scrapped 20.000 nubs, now they want to do any check they can to make sure they are fine). I also think it's a good idea - more broken nubs on the next few thousand boards would surely mean the end of the Pandora, and that's something we all don't want (hopefully ))
In this post ED states quite uncertainly that he thinks it are 200, we don't have any actual numbers yet. According to the schedule, they should ship 1000 boards on the 24th. So if you're still optimistic after the last two years, I suppose they can still make it.

I choose the more pessimistic interpretation partly because of what has happened in the past, partly because I'm really frustrated and partly because that's just my character.

Ok. I'll try to shut up a bit about this and await shipping news of the board factory instead, hopefully we will have some real numbers then. I should be able to shut up for one week, right? :unsure:

And ED, I still would really like to know how you are going to divide the upcoming 1000 Pandoras.

Back