No prototypes for GamesCom, but a Wifi Chip and a Pyra in the dark!

I would do everything to make the base model as cheap as possible (perhaps even go as far as giving it a smaller eMMC and less RAM)
We have that already. Instead, how about giving the premium model a larger eMMC and more RAM? x-P

How about we just add 5GHz. Stop with the fake cheapness and the "super" expensive model.

How about we just add 5GHz
Because there is no "we". It is EvilDragon who needs to spend the extra 14000EUR upfront to add it, not you, not me, not us, just him. He's asking people's opinions on whether they use it or no in an attempt to gauge whether it is worth it, to him, to add it now.

[x] 5ghz

I can't even use 2.4ghz wifi properly in my flat anymore because every neighbor has wifi it seems.

How about we just add 5GHz
Because there is no "we". It is EvilDragon who needs to spend the extra 14000EUR upfront to add it, not you, not me, not us, just him. He's asking people's opinions on whether they use it or no in an attempt to gauge whether it is worth it, to him, to add it now.
We, as in the people who are possibly buying it and it seems most people wants it. They shouldn't have to go through a 3G/4G wall to get it.

We don't want the device to become to expensive (for ED and buyers), but the 5GHz option should be available I think.

As some mention you could use USB if the option is not added.

Also: Congratulations ED!

We don't want the device to become to expensive (for ED and buyers), but the 5GHz option should be available I think.

As some mention you could use USB if the option is not added.

Also: Congratulations ED!
People already mention that they don't want to do that, especially when it's "easy" to built it in compare to other stuff.

802.11a runs on 5GHz, but is ancient tech when it comes to wi-fi (not sure what speed). Hopefully that chip also support 802.11n at 5GHz, which I assume is what people mean when they've been talking about 5GHz wifi.

802.11a runs on 5GHz, but is ancient tech when it comes to wi-fi (not sure what speed). Hopefully that chip also support 802.11n at 5GHz, which I assume is what people mean when they've been talking about 5GHz wifi.
802.11a runs at speeds up to 54 Mb/s (the same speed as 802.11g). This is a little over one third the speed of 802.11n with one antenna (150 Mb/s). Of course 802.11n  devices can switch modes and use multiple antennas to get varying amounts of speed up to 600 Mb/s theoretically. In practice I have had varying success with 802.11n.

802.11n can work on either 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz networks (for practical purposes, most 802.11a devices can also work on 2.4 GHz networks, because they also support either 802.11g or 802.11b (the latter being much slower)). I generally get more consistent results running at 5 GHz, regardless of which standard is used. That is, I tend to always get something closer to the maximum speed of the protocol (or protocol/antenna combination when it comes to 802.11n) when on a 5 GHz network, assuming the network is in range, while it is more likely to vary on a 2.4 GHz network, sometimes being close to the maximum, and sometimes not. This is doubtless related, at least in part, to interference on the 2.4 GHz frequency from other sources. 802.11a is fast enough for most single purposes, even though it is old. However, the Pyra chip would support the higher speeds of the 802.11n protocol, with a theoretical top speed of at least 150 Mb/s.

(Worth mentioning that the datasheet is mentioning 80 Mbps for TCP, 100 Mbps for UDP, no specific figure for 5 GHz)

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize this may sound a bit callous, but we're talking about 14EUR wholesale ~ 20EUR on a ~500EUR device. That is 4% of the price to ensure that the base model works for everyone with everyone's network.

If that 4% makes a difference to an individual on whether or not they should buy the Pyra - or if doing so means they would miss their rent payment, then they probably shouldn't be shopping for 500EUR handheld computers at this point in time.

For those viewing this as an elitist point of view - it isn't. It's a realistic point of view. People who can afford a 500EUR portable handheld computer are much more likely to want it 'fully loaded' than they are to want it 'stripped down'. Consider what happened to CC and Rebirth Pandora sales when the 1Ghz model came out. Even though the 1Ghz was priced MUCH higher, not many wanted the CC and Rebirth at that point.

Make the Pyra the best it can be within reason (20EUR bump is well within reason). I only see 4 'models' to offer differing only in the phone module used or absent. Otherwise, keep consistent hardware over the lineup.

1. No phone module.

2. European 4G.

3. US 4G.

And even then, #2 and #3 may be merged if an international/US combination 4G chip is used.

I may be wrong, but I do not think there's an international 4G chip. Also do you mean 3 models?

I may be wrong, but I do not think there's an international 4G chip. Also do you mean 3 models?
Correct - 3 models. My typo/bad.

To my understanding there are actually at least 4 versions of that 4G chip.

- European GSM

- US GSM

- US CDMA

- US/European GSM international

There may be more versions - someone could check the manufacturer's site for them.

The international one is likely the most expensive. Under the skin they're probably all the same chip with just different binary blobs running in them to provide/limit features.

I may be wrong, but I do not think there's an international 4G chip.
Well, depends on if we're tied to a specific brand/product line for the 4G chip... Qualcomm MDM9625M seems to support pretty much everything possible? (and is the only chipset I'm aware of that works with Google's cellular service here in the US...)

If that 4% makes a difference to an individual on whether or not they should buy the Pyra - or if doing so means they would miss their rent payment
Is this really a thing? Would you really miss paying rent - that keeps yourself (and possibly your family) housed and off the street - to buy a toy!? It might be a great product, but it's not life-essential

If that 4% makes a difference to an individual on whether or not they should buy the Pyra - or if doing so means they would miss their rent payment
Is this really a thing? Would you really miss paying rent - that keeps yourself (and possibly your family) housed and off the street - to buy a toy!? It might be a great product, but it's not life-essential
That was kind of his point.

Not for me, no. I never buy toys/gadgets/etc unless I can pay for them outright without putting my finances at any risk. However, that argument has been used repeatedly by other individuals as reasons to keep the Pyra as cheap as possible.

No matter how you look at it, the Pyra WILL be an "expensive" niche toy/tool/gizmo/gadget. There seem to be two modes of thought on it.

1. Make it as technologically advanced and as capable as possible within reason. This mode of thought could end up with pricing in the 500-600EUR without 4G and 600-700EUR with 4G.

2. Make it as inexpensive as possible at the sacrifice of capabilities. This mode of thought could end up with pricing in the 450-550EUR without 4G and 550-650 EUR with 4G.

My thoughts are - don't save me 50EUR to deliver a Pyra that is less than it can be. Spend the small amounts needed to give it true 802.11n 5Ghz networking. Put in the fastest >=16GB NAND chip that the project can acquire. Preferably as fast as the circuit can allow (~200MB/s). Use the gold plated conductor versions of the ports so that we never have to worry about corroded ports resulting in bad connections. Spending more for capability and quality is a -good- thing. Don't cut corners on capability or quality.

Back