Release LibreOffice for Pandora

I'll take a look.

So java was needed ?

I was still on stable versions, so maybe java is now wiped out from 4.X.
I deactivated java, with --without-java --disable-odk

Repackaged, but i got a permission error.

What is your pnd making command ?

Mine is:

chown -R root:root ./pnd/

find ./pnd/ \

\( -perm 777 -o -perm 775 -o -perm 711 -o -perm 555 -o -perm 511 \) \

-exec chmod 755 {} \; -o \

\( -perm 666 -o -perm 664 -o -perm 600 -o -perm 444 -o -perm 440 -o -perm 400 \) \

-exec chmod 644 {} \;

pnd_make.sh -p libreoffice-slackware.pnd -d pnd/ -x pnd/PXML.xml -i pnd/icon.png
I just use 

Code:
pnd_make.sh -p libreoffice-slackware.pnd -d pnd/ -x pnd/PXML.xml -i pnd/icon.png -c

Very nice!  Thank you.

Is there any way to make the toolbar icons smaller?   I looked through the options but have yet to find a way.

The standard GTK open/save dialogue boxes are taller than the screen on my pandora.   *makes mental note to look for a way to adjust that*   Selecting the "Use LibreOffice dialogs" option under Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice -> General, results in dialogue boxes that fit nicely on the screen.

Might I suggest adding additional 'Application' entries to the PXML so that individual applications can be launched directly?

- Neelix
The many Application in the start menu, I'm not sure. You can open a file of any type with the launcher, or you can launch the application you want with just one click. Plus, don't forget you CANNOT have personnalized icon for differents apps in the same PND, so all apps will have the same "white libreoffice icon"  :unsure:

About the size of the icons and GUI, yes, there a bit big. I didn't include extra themes, but I haven't gone through the included ones to see if one is smaller. If someone found a nice one, I include it (and try to make it default).

About languages, I understand, but being French (and a bit egocentric, and somewhat lazy), I want LibreOffice multilingual, and don't want to multiply the number of LibreOffice PND. So I'll try the multilingual first. If the size if really too big, or there is a big demand to English (default is en-US by the way) only, I'll build one.

Also, for size of icons, look here:  130126-111203.png

Icons are much more adapted to the screen of the Pandora.

The many Application in the start menu, I'm not sure. You can open a file of any type with the launcher, or you can launch the application you want with just one click. Plus, don't forget you CANNOT have personnalized icon for differents apps in the same PND, so all apps will have the same "white libreoffice icon"  :unsure:

About the size of the icons and GUI, yes, there a bit big. I didn't include extra themes, but I haven't gone through the included ones to see if one is smaller. If someone found a nice one, I include it (and try to make it default).
This "one-icon-for-all-apps" PND feature is really annoying. Can this be changed?

About languages, I understand, but being French (and a bit egocentric, and somewhat lazy), I want LibreOffice multilingual, and don't want to multiply the number of LibreOffice PND. So I'll try the multilingual first. If the size if really too big, or there is a big demand to English (default is en-US by the way) only, I'll build one. 
My first language is german (well swiss-german). But I still prefer it in english. I don't like german translated software. ;)

I support the multilingual option.

Don't care about how big he PND will be.

:)
Anyway, adding extra languages just add a few megs (like 5Mo) to the PND, so it's not a big deal compared to the 128Mo of current size.

Now, I want to add dictionaries, so this will probably make the PND a bit fatter, but it's a must have I think...

Last edited by a moderator:
German and English dictionary is a must I think and of course other languages as well.

When installing LO through PanDebian it's more than 300 MB to download.

I think here's usability the main issue to take care of.

To be honest I'm not too worried about them all having the same icon, as long as I can launch directly into the specific application. I almost never see the launcher in normal use on a desktop machine.

Also, for size of icons, look here: 
attachicon.gif
130126-111203.png

Icons are much more adapted to the screen of the Pandora.

Cheers! selecting the small icon size helps. The size doesn't seem to vary according to theme, just the size setting.

As for dictionaries, could I please request an Australian English dictionary (or at the very least a UK English dictionary) having the spell checker try to enforce the bastardised American spelling of words like colour and honour would get old fast. ;)

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
As for dictionaries, could I please request an Australian English dictionary (or at the very least a UK English dictionary) having the spell checker try to enforce the bastardised American spelling of words like colour and honour is going to get old fast. ;)
Now, I don't know if I'm completely off the mark here, but wouldn't this be something that basically is about configuration - A few files in a directory somewhere? My idea, that I admittedly have no idea if it works properly, is that that could be done by someone else. ptitSeb doen't want to include every language file there is, since that makes the pnd unusably big (which is quite understandable). Most of us want to have it in english and our own language. However, most of us don't care much about these other weird languages - I mean, I would want UK (and possibly US, ok) english, and a swedish spellcheck dictionary, but I honestly haven't got much need of french or german. LinuxSWAT would want french, but not danish...and so on. We all want our own special variant - None really want to have all languages, because it'll take ages to download and oodles of space.

(also, I think most of us find the necessary i18n thing needed here is spellcheck dictionaries, not necessarily UI translation, which means mora languages takes up more space)

So, would this work.

- ptitSeb handles the main app. Compilation, configuration, pnd-ing and so on. When it is updated, he updates and uploads the canonical minimal libreoffice thingie (say, with US and UK english and whatever more he wants to put in there).

- Other people maintain international versions. That is, when ptitSeb has uploaded a new version, perhaps I download the pnd, unpacks it, add dictionary files for, say, the nordic languages, removes french, repacks and uploads as "libreoffice, nordic spelling". With proper credits, of course.

- => PROFIT? Or at least, everybody wins :D

Or am I solving a non-problem? Is it easy for me to, for example, add the swedish dictionary to the appdata dir and be done with it? In that case, perhaps all that is needed is a "How to add your own spelling dictionary"-wiki entry is all that is needed?

@Moxie: *shrugs*  I see where you are coming from but it seems to be a moot point: :)

Now, I want to add dictionaries, so this will probably make the PND a bit fatter, but it's a must have I think...
That being said, I think the simplest thing if we wanted to add a language that doesn't end up in the PND would just be to find a source for the files, then find where to put them in appdata on an as needed basis. Repackaging the PND just seems needlessly complicated. Perhaps if ED can give us a place to upload tarballs, we can put together language packs to be untarred into the relevant appdata folder which automatically put everything where it needs to be. If you really wanted you could wrap such a tarball in a PND which would autmatically untar it to the right location, then add that to the repo. :)

- Neelix

I don't care how big the PND is.

No problem to solve.

If you want to save space can't it b done via appdata folder?

Download specific languages in the appdata folder.

maybe a PND that lets you choose which language you want to install.

Hey guys this PND took like 3 days to compile for PtitSeb, so please be considerate before asking him to recompile stuff to save space and so on. It's not like it takes 10 mins to do.

Thank you.

It's true that LibreOffice is a beast. Tu give you an idea, even when I don't recompile anything, a simple make & make install take 20min on the Pandora (20 min is the time to compile PPSSPP from scratch, a make & make install for PPSSPP take 10sec when not rebuilding for example).

The languages are not easy to externalize in my point of view. There are many files in many places, plus there are part of the compile process.

I'm now having difficulties with Spelling Dictionnaries. I don't get why they are not installed. I think I will create a build 02 without dictionnaries, but with multilanguages, and take a break from LibreOffice (having to wait 20 min when I change a coma in the options, plus the PND'ing is a little boring). I'll get back to LibreOffice if I (or someone else) have an idea (maybe I need Java, it's look like it's needed for LanguageTools, but not for the integrated spelling) or when stable version will be out.

Fair enough.  Where can the dictionaries for it be found?  We can always try adding them via appdata and playing with the configuration.

- Neelix

Here are the "en" en.zip dictionaries that come with the sources, in zip format. Inside are all variants of English... If you get it to work, please document it. Also, a Build 02 is coming soon (multilangual, + extra samples and templates)

Attachments

• en.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 160
The dictionary could be modular? because it would be more interesting to face language, who need not have German dictionary in Portuguese and so on, if you can just download the dictionary and added the part in appdata, would be very good.

MarTinazzI​

New build on the repo, with some language added. As you can see, it's barely bigger. No dictionaries yet, so a way to use them as still to be found...

Build 02

-----------

• GUI with some languages.

There are a few finnish users here. We dont all want translated software, but if it is an option (like from the menu or based on the system LC_* or LANG), then might want to add that - the code should be "fi" or fi-FI ...

Wow, overwhelming coolness. Seb, you should drop the "ptit" prefix. Your contributions to Pandora have been anything but. This is a great and needed addition to Pandora's software library. It almost steals my vote away from CodeBlocks. But not quite. Your work on CodeBlocks has provided the benchmark of utilitarian awesomeness.

Also, it's nice that the toolbars can stack vertically as well. Now in Writer I have the second toolbar stacked vertically on the left, and there is a nice comfortable amount of editing space now.

Excellent work! This is the kind of software that amazes people when showing off a Pandora.
Yeah, CodeBlocks has a similar effect. "What...? You can code on that thing? Seriously??"

Back