Let's talk colors!

I'll be interested to see how the transparent prototype cases look. At least one of those should have the matte finish, if not all of them, and I'd expect that sort of surface to make the clear material look slightly smokey, which might be interesting to look at.

Yes, you can get quite a bit of that if you sand the inside of the case.

1 So polycarbonate is recycled (CDs) and can be recycled again (?)

"Products made from polycarbonate can contain the precursor monomer bisphenol A (BPA" from wikipedia, is worrying.

2 This leads me to believe adding colour will weaken, (if only ever so slightly) the case?

3 Colour sounds more complex, in turn possibly leading to issues with recycling or production.
Especially "metal" sounds like something that sheilds wireless signals.

4 And basic polycarbonate is even cheaper to produce? Could be win-win.

Clear is cool, as I can take off a part, and plastic-paint the inside if I want it to have a colour.
Many colours and possibilities there.
This, as with a solid colour, wont wear down.

5 So how good is this polycarbonate over time? Same properties as a CD?

Cam it be

Last edited:
I'm a major fan of the Translucent Plastics as well. That would be incredible to truly show off all that hard work with the PCB. Not to mention it would be entirely illuminated with the LED's at night.
Regardless, if that's not an option i'd like to cast my vote for a "Bold" color. Something not just black like every other device ever made; ever.

But great work ED, please keep us up to date when we can be expecting the first pre-orders to be taken.

Guys, have you thought about light bleeding ? Transparent would be cool yeah, but almost unusable for anything because of the screen and the LEDs, even with the keymat blocking most of it.

So How does the coating work ? Will it add thickness ?
Can it be put on the backside + logo ensemble instead of separately so that it glues it together a bit more ?

I'd like myself in the following order :
milk/cream/off white, or c64, or gunmetal, or whatever you like as long as the secondary color is matching the keymat/nubs (except for the c64).

One of the first software to be developed on Pyra should be a stress tester :
recording how many times/how far every button/every nub has been pushed/has traveled would be nice for testing purposes.

Overall, I as much as everyone here can't wait for the next steps ! Keep going, keep on being awesome ED !

Hot Pink! Please oh please I want a hot pink bullet-proof Pyra xD. I'll give it an anime desktop wallpaper like a true neck-beard elitist xD.

Other colors; Latte, Clear, & Crimson.

Last edited:
we've decided to use 3 readily existing ones
What are those ?
Personal wish => something in the purple or yellow direction
realistic wish => matte black or a grey tone
no white => looks bad after a while
no transparent thingy => light leakage
Transparent cases are more prone to leak radiation and cause interference with other devices. It's why you don't see transparent products anywhere but by cheap companies.
Exactly, and don't forget the UV light from the sun entering the case from the outside oxidizing the soldering points

Last edited:
Yellow could be very cool indeed, thatgui.
I don't care too much about the color, I'm happy to learn that the plastic will be of high quality and the color is directly in the material so won't be changed by scratches.

I think i would be happy whit a normal black, as long its got this screetch restistend coating and goot better quality than the Pandora Case,
but i even god uset too the Pandora Case,
sure its not the best quality but as it survived about 4 Yeahrs under my reign it wasnt that bad at all

Light can have all sorts of unintended consequences for electronics... https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/xenon-death-flash-a-free-physics-lesson/ may well not happen... but it needs considering and testing - before you get onto the long term effects of ageing - that said even clear polycarbonate should block UV to some extent for example.

That said if the extra testing and keyboard light baffle don't add extra time and cost, then it could make an interesting option, if only because its not black or white...

Especially "metal" sounds like something that sheilds wireless signals.
If you remember your basic wave theory, you should remember that blockages that are less than the wavelength behave as if they're not there wrt wave propagation. The wavelength of even 5GHz wifi is just over 6 cm by my calculations, so sub-millimeter bits of metal in a case should have no effect whatsoever.

I have to say, I think God Ginrai had the right of it - I reckon this looks fantastic and it received 14 likes when I posted it originally.

PYRA_DarkGreyNoisy_Black.png

-Neelix

Last edited:
Look I'm not arguing about light leakage with a transparent case, you're right the lights will shine out of the case. Whether that is unusable remains to be seen, personally I love stuff like that. As for the UV criticism I'm pretty sure polycarbonate is opaque to the UV spectrum.

That all being said, it's pretty obvious that a clear enclosure is not what the masses want. I think ED should save himself the headaches and make opaque white and black cases and call it a day.

Back