Let's talk colors!

For you clear case guys - how about going a big step further?

How about glow in the dark polycarbonate? It should be easy to spot on the night stand and develop a nuclear looking green glow after gaming.

With the idea of mixed-parts, having something like that as just the outside of the screen/lid on an otherwise other colored case could be cool too.

Example of glow in the dark polycarbonate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-in-the-Dark-Polycarbonate-Cup-/111760961396

ED - is that even theoretically an option? If you want to test it, I would be good with a glow in the dark, in otherwise clear or opaque, for the whole case or just part(s), for my prototype.

Black, grey(silver) and white would be my first choices (I think these 3 should attend just about anyone), after that, some hardcore colors like yellow, green and orange should be super fine.

ED said there may be multiple colours available for the mass-production. Even if that's only two, perhaps he will have a "business-esque" colour and a more blatant-disrespect-for-eyeballs colour.

I'd like an light gray, or off white Pyra.

Failing that, a deep red or dark gray would also be awesome.

Do we know yet what the custom finish options will be or is that waiting on finished molds?

The only thing I don't think I could stand is a fake metallic enclosure.

People talk about the tackiness of translucent plastics, well that may be but at least it's honest. To me when you take a material like plastic and try to make it appear silver or metallic (like the pandora case) it's the most disingenuous form of design possible. I have never seen a plastic case that looked right as faux metal. Right up there with faux-wood panelling if you ask me. Material authenticity should be respected, otherwise your device comes off looking like a prop in a bad sci-fi, IMO.

I think metal-LIKE colours are totally acceptable though; greys etc. Just keep them matte and don't glitter them if you ask me (not that anyone is).

The Pyra logo will be frosted white I guess? Either that or clear (Could be cool?)
Anyway,I hope it's a tight fit so that the top of the lid almost feels like it's one piece.

I keep on thinking that the case color has to fit with that white pyra logo.. still leaning towards white although I really like that gun metal grey one too... but then... with a white plastic pyro logo on the cover... dunno... :p
Until I get some choices I guess I'll ponder on... :)

If the case is easier to replace (screen & ribbon) and the custom colours can be ordered in reasonably low numbers this could be an excellent source of income for ED.

So, the material we're using for the Pyra is the transparent one you've seen in the video yesterday... nearly unbreakable Polycarbonate.

Wikipedia said:
Products made from polycarbonate can contain the precursor monomer bisphenol A (BPA).

Manjula - Simpsons - Season 21 - Episode 'Pranks and Greens' said:
There is only one thing which is more dangerous than perfluorooctanoic acid: plastics with bisphenol A!

He will poison us all! :eek:

xD

So don't fill my Pyra with water and drink from it... Got it.

Black, dark grey or dark red are likely best. White is a bad idea as it shows dirt and scratches (and most noticeably dirt in scratches) rather badly.

If you remember your basic wave theory, you should remember that blockages that are less than the wavelength behave as if they're not there wrt wave propagation. The wavelength of even 5GHz wifi is just over 6 cm by my calculations, so sub-millimeter bits of metal in a case should have no effect whatsoever.

The first, among many concerns I have with this, is that the object in question isn't half a wavelength away.
Also wavelength goes up as frequency goes down, so at <5GHz, which applies, its worse.

I think this is typically the reason to put antennas in the lid, as you aren't obsctructing coverage with the base nearly as much as vice versa.

My vote is matte black, white, gun metal type grey and translucent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White is a bad idea as it shows dirt and scratches (and most noticeably dirt in scratches) rather badly.

I disagree. The Pyra will have a protective coating so there wouldn't be scratches in the first place.
Plus, you might actually like to know when your Pyra is dirty, right ? "Don't put it in your mouth, my dear !" xD

I actually would like more of a milky white than snow white, that would solve the possible dirt issue and be somewhere in-between Apple classy/classic white and retro light brown/dark beige.
Kind of a modern twist to old computers. I like the idea, that kinda sums up the Pyra after all.

The only thing I don't think I could stand is a fake metallic enclosure.

People talk about the tackiness of translucent plastics, well that may be but at least it's honest. To me when you take a material like plastic and try to make it appear silver or metallic (like the pandora case) it's the most disingenuous form of design possible. I have never seen a plastic case that looked right as faux metal. Right up there with faux-wood panelling if you ask me. Material authenticity should be respected, otherwise your device comes off looking like a prop in a bad sci-fi, IMO.

I think metal-LIKE colours are totally acceptable though; greys etc. Just keep them matte and don't glitter them if you ask me (not that anyone is).
+1

Fortunately, ED don't seems to be aiming for something like that:
The mass produced case will have a nice, decent color with matte scratch resistant coating and maybe a tiny little bit of metallic (just to make the color look good, I'm not aiming for a metallic look!)
And I don't think to glitter them make them necesseraly look metallic,
pocketbook-inkpad-dark-brown.jpg
It doesn't looks like anything else than plastic.

Still ED have to be careful with that anthracite, you never now if the product will look like what you had in mind, so they better know that he don't want a fake metal looking color.

Last edited:
black or gunmetal grey what be great for me. as for white: i hate apple devices... and generally don't like my electronics in white, so not an option for me. If there is a choice between a couple of colors, all will be pleased I guess.

I hated the silver paint job on the ghz pandora. I actually ordered a black case for mine and replaced it because the black case looks way more refined. Now I have to watch out not to mix up my CC and ghz units...

But I guess I am not telling anything new here, AFAIK almost noone liked the cheap paint job anyway. If it had been done more like ED is planning it now, it might have been decent looking. I am excited to see some colors in actual plastics, maybe I will find a new favorite.

Back