Release It's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't bother me too much but I'm curious as to why there's a change in the tone of black across the lid and around the Pandora logo. Is it because the plastic is thinner or summink? And will this be sorted once the plastics are given the matt finish?

Screenshot of vid...

http://twitpic.com/stcj0

It has come a long way from throwing ideas around in a thread on this forum.

Congratulations Craig, Evildragon and the rest of the team.

pob1979 said:
It doesn't bother me too much but I'm curious as to why there's a change in the tone of black across the lid and around the Pandora logo. Is it because the plastic is thinner or summink? And will this be sorted once the plastics are given the matt finish?

Screenshot of vid...

this is what I was talking about

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
You are right when you say, that the Boot Time doesen't matter if the Pandora acts like the PDAs Powersave actions. (Devices are even "on" internal when you turn them actualy off) Problem is, onto the Pandora, things like suspend mode simply don't work and notaz sayed its possible that these things never can work fully (AFAIK). At least it needs a huge ammount of time because all the drivers need to support these functions. (I wonder why a driver does need to know such stuff)
Maybe a once mentioned script that downclock the Pandora and shut the screen off etc... can be a replacement for some time. :)

A smartphone doesn't suspend either, otherwise it couldn't receive calls. The 10 days were a quick calculation with exactly such scripts, not with a real suspend mode.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Getting rid of the X-Server and optimizing the Pandora, you could get the system to boot within seconds. However, there are so many good X-Apps you'd probably miss (FreeCiv, Internet Browser, Battle for Wesnoth, etc.)
Yeah, lets not get rid of X, that would cripple it at desktop/productivity apps as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4&feature=PlayList&p=C8D225A967F6286E&index=0&playnext=1
again looking at that picture of the real beast being built causes these reactions for people

fusion_power said:
At least it needs a huge ammount of time because all the drivers need to support these functions. (I wonder why a driver does need to know such stuff)
Why wouldn't it? When you suspend the system most peripherals are basically turned off and "forget" their state, when resumed something needs to bring them back to where they were before suspend.

To wit, at least the Panda is entirely customizable as well. YOu don't want to support bluetooth or this or trhat, hack a few configs and drop it. Or drop xfce entirely, or even drop X11 etc. Cut down the modules and tests in your kernel and go to a rudimentary menu amd you can be up and going in like 15 seconds (done it) and you can probably go much faster.. but its all a trade-off of what you want going on there :)

The very first boot takes awhile to set up a few things, and going to xfce desktop boot takes awhile as a bunch of services and things kick up; but a lot of that you can ditch if you want, or use pmenu, etc.

(And as ED/etc suggest .. when we add the minimal-power mode soon, it should make life a lot easier .. close the lid or hit a button and poof, its on quiet mode for a couple days, ready to wake up in a couple seconds.)

jeff

borgqueenx said:
whats the time at mweston his place? about 16:00? long tests....I am eager to hear his approval of the cases and to see more videos and photos. Snippet video 3 of pandora must still come!!!
15:07 right now

beavith said:
So, I'm just curious, if I were to order a Pandora, could I get it by Christmas?

Probably not, since the first batch is supposed to be full. There might be some slots now from people who canceled but I would have thought there was a line setup for them.

Exophase said:
beavith said:
So, I'm just curious, if I were to order a Pandora, could I get it by Christmas?

Probably not, since the first batch is supposed to be full. There might be some slots now from people who canceled but I would have thought there was a line setup for them.
In any case Craigix said that they would most likely only be shipping the first 1000 before Christmas and the rest right after. I would say that January is a definite possibility if you were to preorder now.

Paradox said:
pob1979 said:

Screenshot of vid...

this is what I was talking about

either a fix on the mould or either a cooling issue anyway, after matte ending it should dissapear

hmm, or maybe the test material was way too translucen you are looking the inner parts/structure

finty said:
It has come a long way from throwing ideas around in a thread on this forum.

Congratulations Craig, Evildragon and the rest of the team.

x68000 said:
Big thanks to all the dev team - You guys are ALL legends B)
+1 million to these :)

craigix said:
Right, where the fuck are those vapourware twats? I want to punch them in the face.
Well when you find them let me know. Because I would like to join in on the fun.

Also, you have been sig'd.

Anyways, I'm loving all the new pictures and video. Makes me wish I had the money to pre-order one right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back