It reminds me of the Pandora!

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
I wonder, is this audio thing going to be a problem?
On the mailinglist I read something about a capacitor that maybe has to be added. Hasn't that hardware already been produced?
Indeed the audio is far from finished on the software side (correct me if I'm wrong) and that will make it hard to pinpoint if problems are software or hardware. Kind of chicken & egg situation.

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
If i remember correctly, the Audio works perfekly fine, it was just an issue whit some prototypes, but dont nail me on this because i dont have that much knowledge..

There are some issues when using the vibra motor and audio and devs are currently hard at work to figure out why when using the vibra motor but also in other cases a noisey signal is being heard. There might be the need to add or remove a capacitor or something. In any case there are some audio issues that occur sometimes (always the most difficult issues), but the people working on it are narrowing things down, Im sure it will end up in a useable mode for the early units and will get better and better over time.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
The prototype unpopulated board I received had evildragon's signature on it, and HNSs intials in his hand.

You can get a phone's IMEI by dialling a special code into it's caller app. But I've used phones for over 20 years now and I don't think anyone's ever asked me for my IMEI.

Edit: It's an IMEI not an EMEI. Matty got it twisted in my head.

Last edited:

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
Maybe it's time for some official newz.

chicken & egg situation
That's hardly a mystery anymore, since Darwin. Point to the earliest individual, you'd be willing to call a chicken, and I'll tell you, it's mother was already an egg-laying thingy.
I don't think anyone's ever asked me for my EMEI
I'd think, it's rather the phone that get's asked. ?

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
That's hardly a mystery anymore, since Darwin. Point to the earliest individual, you'd be willing to call a chicken, and I'll tell you, it's mother was already an egg-laying thingy.
Yeah, but was the thing it laid an actual chicken egg? I've always assumed that was implied by the question, because obviously the modern chicken was unlikely to be the first bird that evolved, and all birds lay eggs. Thinking about it, I don't think bird's parents, the dinosaurs bore live offspring either, so they laid eggs as well. The differenence between the protochicken that laid this egg and the actual chicken its egg bore is likely to be relatively small, depending on how dramatic the evolutionary change was, which depends more or less on how smooth you believe evolution to have been thus far. I'd be tempted to say the egg belongs to the protochicken, since it made it, while the chicken within will eventually lay actual chicken eggs provided it's female.

I'd think, it's rather the phone that get's asked. ?
Yes, I think your phone provides it's IMEI whenever you place a call or send a text or connect to an APN, and probably the IMSI* as well. My phone probably does that regardless of whether I've read and memorised the code on the sticker on the box. So if there were no actual sticker it wouldn't prevent me from using my phone.

*IM = International Mobile. EI = Equipment Identify, it's baked into the mobile chipset in your phone. SI = Subscriber Identity, it's an artefact of your SIM card.

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
Ah yes it's all semantics... but then it turns into and egg-laying thingy and egg question.
Point to the first thing, you'd be willing to call an egg-laying thingy, and - in doing so - you've already determined, it didn't come from an egg. ;) (Or if you find, there were eggs before, but those just didn't get laid, then the egg was still first.)
Yeah, but was the thing it laid an actual chicken egg? I've always assumed that was implied by the question, because obviously the modern chicken was unlikely to be the first bird that evolved, and all birds lay eggs. Thinking about it, I don't think bird's parents, the dinosaurs bore live offspring either, so they laid eggs as well. The differenence between the protochicken that laid this egg and the actual chicken its egg bore is likely to be relatively small, depending on how dramatic the evolutionary change was, which depends more or less on how smooth you believe evolution to have been thus far. I'd be tempted to say the egg belongs to the protochicken, since it made it, while the chicken within will eventually lay actual chicken eggs provided it's female.
I didn't read the question as chicken or chicken egg, but if this is what was asked, then sure, what you said. Or not? To get the bounderies in focus, one could determine what mutations happened on the way from an accepted proto chicken to the modern chicken and decide which of those mutations make the modern chicken. Then there'd be one to be the first to have them all.
Then of course, the mother's genes that are involved in assembling an egg, which are only a subset of all her genes, could already have had all the chicken qualities you could ask for. In this case the one asking the question were to decide, if they see that as an chicken egg or not. All rather deterministic, still.

λ the β-Redex Reducer

β-Redex Reducing Member
Oh, it turned into a birthday thread :)
Thanks a lot, I'm not really celebrating it, but it was nice to see here :D
Hey, I also do not celebrate my birthday! Man, we have so much in common! You should marry my sister! I wanted to have the creator of the 3DS in my family but because the Pyra is basically just a rebranded 3DS the creator of the Pyra is also good.

• Haha
Reactions: rSl

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I had a chat with my TI contact today about some bridges. I asked him about the status of OMAP5432 and he checked for me.
So, the loooong time seems to be over. No more OMAP5 deliverable?
Well, usually, a manufacturer informs all their customers if a product becomes obsolete including a deadling - so you can buy any remaining stock and place last orders if need be, and TI has not yet informed us about anything like that, so they should still have remaining stock.

That said, they restructured a lot, so I would not put my hand into fire for them... they might've forgotten that (I really hope not).
I am not sure how many OMAP5432 Global Components did stock yet. The price calculation was for 2000 - but that doesn't mean they stocked these right away. We have at least 550 for the first production run.

I've dropped emails to my TI contacts and GC to find that out as well. Hopefully, it was just false news, as it would be a pretty bad timing now that we're in production.

I'm pretty much in a shock state right now until this has been resolved... if there really aren't any available anymore, I'd be pretty much done for...

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
If they ordered based on the price of 2000, that suggests they ordered at least 2000. Of course, those may not be delivered yet, and unpacked and logged, but I'd have thought they'd be in the channel somewhere. Don't sweat it, just make some calls to check the status and then lay back in the glow of a job well done :) Then get on to assembling and packing Pyras, of course ;)

Edit: Fixed spelling. Damn, must keep fingers in touch when I get excited ;)

Last edited:

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
If they ordered based on the price of 2000, that suggests they ordered at least 2000. Of course, those may not be delivered yet, and unpacked and logged, but I'd have thought they'd be in the channel somewhere. Don't sweat it, just make some calls to check the status at the lay back in the glow of a job well done :) They get on to assembling and packing Pyras, of course ;)
That might be true as well. Let's see how this turns out.

Swordfish II

Advanced Member
The prototype unpopulated board I received had evildragon's signature on it, and HNSs intials in his hand.

You can get a phone's IMEI by dialling a special code into it's caller app. But I've used phones for over 20 years now and I don't think anyone's ever asked me for my IMEI.

Edit: It's an IMEI not an EMEI. Matty got it twisted in my head.
IMEI is used when authenticating with a cell tower, but also when a phone is stolen. If you have it it can be blacklisted on all networks. I believe it is required to be included with phone documentation buut most companies just put it on a sticker on the box.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
That's true. I've only ever had one phone stolen from me, and that was an old work phone and I was drunk when it was stolen from a bag near me while I was asleep at a bus stop, so I never reported it. But yeah, I guess that might be important, because as I say, phones register their IMEI with cell towers when they place a call or make a text or even just check which towers are nearby and how strong the signal is. Hence they can be blocked by the tower if you know the IMEI.

As I said in my first post of this topic, I believe you can dial a number into the cellular chip and it'll respond with its IMEI. Apparently it's *#06#.