Gp2psx V0.35

rokdcasbah posted on Feb 9 2006 at 10:11 AM said:
i'm amazed at how fast this is running already. great work.

yeah, first i thought that the gp2x was not for 3D and would maybe be able to render psx-like games, that's all

now i see that it can EMULATE them, wich is amazing! :blink:

that makes me wonder how much power we have to make a specific 3d game , i guess we cat's reach the PSP's level, but it seems the gp2x is not so far from it :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
sand_man posted on Feb 9 2006 at 01:42 PM said:
mattyrb posted on Feb 9 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
Pixman posted on Feb 9 2006 at 09:39 AM said:
Didn't read through the whole thread, but: The 2nd cpu is STILL not used, right? Then there's hope. If it is used... well... pray.  :p

The second cpu isn't a great deal of use!

Of course it is. You just need to know what to do with it.

From what i've read it just seems full of bottle necks....

Well I've trying some games with the latest 0.35, games are mostly ripped with pocketiso, speed 300mhz:

Marvel vs Capcom: Works, however there's something strange that it freezes if sound is off, if you turn it on it keeps loading, so for testing ingame sound has to be turn on to get there. On frameskip 1 it's barely playable, 5-7 fps, and any more frameskip gives backgrounds turning to black from time to time. It's a pity since at frameskip 3 would start to be playable imho.

Capcom vs Snk pro: Same as MvsC, similar speed, same issues about backgrounds (this time blue background from time to time), sound off lets the game load though.

Marvel Super Heroes: A bit more playable than those other two, but still too slow to be playable.

Castlevania: SOTN : Improved over previous version but nowhere near playable. Got to dracula chamber and no issues.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Still slow, 5-10 fps, not playable for me.

XMan COTA : Freezes at Acclaim screen and stays there forever.

Darkstalkers 3 : This has to be the fastest of all the fighters tested but again not yet to a decent playable level.

Guilty Gear XX: Terribly slow, completely unplayable.

Megaman X4: About 10 fps, barely playable but looking good :)

R-type : Freezes at loading, I've heard it works around but my copy doesn't.

Tekken 3 : Freezes at loading game screen.

Secret of Mana: Works very decently but still not playable. Probably the one that works best of all tested.

Strider 2: Works, slow, again about 5-10 fps, couldn't jump ingame, but it looks great. Suffered some issues with backgrounds not being refreshed properly.

Summary: Some 2d games give background issues, frameskip is not balanced, 1 gives a nice boost while 2 and + gives massive missed frames and time warps. There's a strange issues with sound on Marvel vs Capcom. Haven't tested the memory cards but the games found them so they seem to work even though they found nothing to load. Overall, it's awesome to see some of those games working even on their current state, but there's a long way for them to be playable still, but keep up the good work :)

Suggestions: The fps i'm giving are my opinion from what I saw not the emu data given since I could only see those when changing frameskip with volume. I wish there was some kind of switch to turn fps visible always. Since these are early versions I would suggest to let fps always on to assess better the speeds.
There's almost no advantage on turning sound off, which for me this is quite strange, I was hoping that we could get much better performance without sound, but that's not the case.

That's it, I have LOTS of psx games to test but right now I will wait for a better version to make a massive test to see what really works and what doesn't. Besides I don't have the power supply so batteries are suffering badly with all the testing :blink:

Sorry what's the difference between frames per second (fps) and framerate?

rinuel posted on Feb 9 2006 at 07:28 PM said:
Sorry what's the difference between frames per second (fps) and framerate?

Paradox just likes nagging.

FPS is okay. He probably reads it as First Person Shooter but it means both things. And I am sure you all know PSX cannot be emulated even "at 5 first person shooters" so its clear :)

zodttd made it a strong point in his old topic that framerate is not the same as FPS, and that he will add a proper "Fps counter" in a future version

FPS is the total amount of frames per second
Framerate is the number of NEW frames per second, unchanged/repeated frames are not taken into consideration

If anyone can tell me how any of this games play, it will determine my purchase of a gp2x.

Any ISS Pro Evolution game or ISS Deluxe
Abes Exodus
Warcraft 2 !!!!
Pro Pinball (or any pinball game)
Vagrant Story
Parappa the Rapper

Heres a few I tested:-

No overclocking used.
All these are average speed in game with sound.

Ballitica = 9 / UNAI 13
Kurushi = 9 / UNAI 12
Prismland = 10 / UNAI 14

All in all it`s looking pretty damn good so far :)

timthepig posted on Feb 9 2006 at 01:44 PM said:
If anyone can tell me how any of this games play, it will determine my purchase of a gp2x.

Any ISS Pro Evolution game or ISS Deluxe
Abes Exodus
Warcraft 2 !!!!
Pro Pinball (or any pinball game)
Vagrant Story
Parappa the Rapper

I would just buy it... active developers=support/speed will be added continually, especially to the GP2PSX. Plus there are many other great things out on the GP2X already!

EDIT: Just remembered Parappa is supported quite well already

Pop'n Music (1st in the series, Japanese version) still runs at a painfully slow 1 FPS or so, even without music/sound, and has several graphical errors in the menu's and game.

I would practically sell my soul for this series of games to become playable - the most underestimated (outside of Japan) bemani series in my opinion.

parappa the rapper IIRC has major issues with music sync in most of the major emulators on all systems (although I believe there are some hacks that fix it).

I got sick of waiting for save points, so I'm working on a quick implementation of save states for GP2PSX.

Pop'n Music sounds pretty cool! I might have to go buy it and give it a test run. :)

I'm working on fixing some timing issues, and getting the assmebly code working better...

...but the biggest news so far is that I got hardware scaling working. Only issue is drawing the framerate text to the screen is tricky, and looks kinda weird when displayed now since I had to clear the screen, draw the text, scale down, wait a second, then scale back. Sheeze. One other issue, and it might ust be my GP2X, is that I can't overclock past 266 when using hardware scaling. I use to be able to get 275MHz, but the hardware scaler doesn't like that. So I'm debating whether I should use hardware scaling, which will help out people that don't overclock as much, or use software scaling, which will go slower for everyone, but people can keep their higher overclocks. So far I think hardware scaling is the way to go, especially if it's only an issue for my GP2X.

Once you implement a menu interface people can choose if they want scaling or not I guess.

sand_man posted on Feb 10 2006 at 02:56 AM said:
Once you implement a menu interface people can choose if they want scaling or not I guess.
Yes.
I think Harwdware scaling is really the way to go anyway. It even sounds better. :D

from what you've told us even without overclocking i would have thought we would reach good speeds anyway? with the stuff the other devs are working on for it

reaper79 posted on Feb 8 2006 at 04:40 PM said:
"Why couldn't we have had 400 mhz cpu instead of a 200mhz cpu and his retarded friend?!"

:lol: Someone should sig that :lol:

Back