Psx Running On The Gp2x

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
Updated 12/05/05

Hi again,

I've updated GP2PSX to version 0.09. It's a fairly good update though, considering I've added a file menu of sorts, and a faster blitter.

Not to mention...Framerate indicator as well as frameskip options! Yay!

But wait...drumroll...there's MORE! That framerate indicator will now read 60 FPS on some titles!

********* GP2PSX RUNS SOME GAMES AT 45-60 FPS WITH ONLY 1 to 3 FRAMESKIP******

BUSTER BROS COLLECTION was the first game I tested to run at 50+ (yes PLUS!) frames per second smoothly in gameplay. This is with frameskip at 1 or 3 depending. Not too shabby eh? ;P

I'm testing Final Fantasy Tactics now and there was some graphical issues with the intro screen. Those will be sorted out soon.

Suikoden 1 works now too! I had to slow down the emulator to get compatbility up, and this is one of the newly working games. Otherwise Buster Bros would run at 60 FPS. :/ Also, keep in mind the faster your SD card is, the quicker the ISO buffer will fill, the faster the game will play. I test GP2PSX on a 66X SD card. There's a 150X card I have my eye on. :)

There's plenty of bugs to be fixed, as compatibility is still low. But it's catching up.

I ask that someone once again starts a compatibility thread for GP2PSX like what was done for the Zodiac version. Hopefully this time we'll see some working playable games pop up! I'm going to go back to the Zodiac version eventually and fix the bug that was slowing down the emu so much and see if it gets the Zodiac a working PSX emu. If so maybe even hydro thunder will work (nerys!).

So to go into more detail:
1. File Menu - It's a little corny looking but it works. When GP2PSX loads, you will see a file menu to choose your game. It will only load .Z, .ZNX, and .BIN files. There's a small bug in it currently that makes it list the .table files without the .table extension. The .table file is always the second file of that name. Anyways, press the X button to choose your game. :)
2. Games run MUCH FASTER due to a bug I've been trying to track down now for ages. It caused the emu to go into a loop doing nothing constantly. This is why the emu went fast but seemed to only show a frame each second. :p
3. Better support for games - More games are starting to work, or at least begin to.
4. Framerate/Frameskip - Use the volume up/down to change the frameskip. Framerate will appear at the top left of the screen as well. Hope this helps. ;P
5. A faster screen blit / screen stretch - It seems some games I like to play use some of the odder of screen widths the PSX supports, so I kept the stretch function, but made a check to not use it if the screen fits the GP2X, duh. :)

Grab GP2PSX at: http://www.friggingames.com/gp2psx09.zip

Btw, I'll see what I can do to get the logo put into the emu. It didn't make it into this build. :/

Next to come:
- HLE for faster emulation and no need for a BIOS
- Better compatibility
- Faster GPU core.

There's still room for improvement, but I think this release will show you a good game or two to play, fullspeed. So things are looking up for the GP2X. ;)

Hi All,

As you may know, I ported PSX to the Zodiac. I now have that emu running on the GP2X. It's in a very early stage so many games don't work and if they do they run sort of slow. I'll release it soon. :)

Things that will help me the most would be code for a good scaler as mine doesn't work well. Also, I have no idea how to do a menu system for picking games. If you can help let me know.

zodttd posted on Dec 2 2005 at 05:25 PM said:
Hi All,

As you may know, I ported PSX to the Zodiac.  I now have that emu running on the GP2X.  It's in a very early stage so many games don't work and if they do they run sort of slow.  I'll release it soon. :)

Things that will help me the most would be code for a good scaler as mine doesn't work well.  Also, I have no idea how to do a menu system for picking games.  If you can help let me know.

You should be made a guru for ur ttd alone but now ur trying psx! :p

EDIT: can you give me a link of the zodiac emu?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man good luck with this, I only get 25FPS at 624mhz on my Pocket PC so i will be impressed if you get it running well enough to be playable, I only use the PPC one for Rage Racer heheheheh (My favourite PSX game)

Flexinoodle posted on Dec 2 2005 at 05:33 PM said:
Man good luck with this, I only get 25FPS at 624mhz on my Pocket PC so i will be impressed if you get it running well enough to be playable, I only use the PPC one for Rage Racer heheheheh (My favourite PSX game)

Are u sure mate? I get PSX running at full speed (50ish fps, i know its not 60 but still its not noticibly slow.) on a 500mhz computer with bare bones.

zodttd - making a menu up is the easiest thing in the world ;) Well, porting to gp2x should be fairly easy too, but making a menu easier still.

If you're still stuck whenever I get my 2x, you can use my simple menu system; I'm sure others have them as well of course.

But really, its just..

Draw a box
Draw text for each option
If drawing the 'current' option, highlight or reverse it

Watch for events; if stick hit, move 'current' var + or - 1
If button, do something.

Not much code :)

jeff

the excitement i feel is unfathomable... metal gear solid on a handheld...

:cries:

Drak posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:38 AM said:

Are u sure mate? I get PSX running at full speed (50ish fps, i know its not 60 but still its not noticibly slow.) on a 500mhz computer with bare bones.

Erm i did say Pocket PC which is an ARM CPU the same as the GP2X, A 500mhz desktop CPU is way way way more powerful than either of those ;) (For starters it will do floating points)

very cool. i'm still a bit skeptical, but a decent psx emulator for the gp2x would just make it even more worth it.

Drak posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:38 PM said:

A PocketPC processor and an x86 processor are two completely different monkeys. They are each designed to do different things well. Not to mention that the emu you were using was probably specifically written for your CPU, while the PocketPC port was just that - a port.

Back on topic - that is freaking crazy. I never expected PSX emulation this quickly (or even at all). I figured maybe in a year or so somebody would come up with a port that ran at like 3fps just as a proof of concept. Top notch Danny, top notch!

zodttd posted on Dec 3 2005 at 01:25 AM said:
Hi All,

As you may know, I ported PSX to the Zodiac. I now have that emu running on the GP2X. It's in a very early stage so many games don't work and if they do they run sort of slow. I'll release it soon. :)

Things that will help me the most would be code for a good scaler as mine doesn't work well. Also, I have no idea how to do a menu system for picking games. If you can help let me know.

Why do you need a scaler? The GP2X is 320 x 240 and so is the PSX :huh:

sand_man posted on Dec 3 2005 at 03:16 AM said:
Pocket PC also has a 3d accelerator :/

No it doesn't
The new Axim X50 does and there is only one game that supports it so far, Windows mobile didn't even support 3D chipsets until the latest version which i dont even run.
That is the only PocketPC currently available with a 3D chipset.

For the record
Running at 208mhz ARM 12-15FPS
Running at 624mhz ARM 25-30FPS
These figures are for the PocketPC PSX emu running Rage Racer which is apparently quite slow on the Pocket PC (Gran Turismo is supposedly twice as fast on the above specs)
Axim 30 624mhz ARM 64meg

EDIT* Just wanted to add a sad tale to remind people to support the devs of this stuff, The guy who did the PocketPC emu has had 30,000 downloads and only twenty donations :( , I am one of those twenty and i only use it for one game.

Back