Website
www.zodttd.com
Updated to v0.18
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=315288
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=315288
Hello...

Back in the mix with GP2PSX v0.16:
http://www.friggingames.com/gp2psx016.zip

So I spent the past time implementing the dual cpu feature into GP2PSX. It worked, and I had an async blit (drawing) routine. Thing is, it barely made a speed improvement. It could be the way I used it. I'll have some people look over the code. So for now, dual cpu use has been removed from the code, as it caused a few glitches here and there.

This release uses the old GPU core, now that it's been updated to support 3D rendering. It's compatibility is higher than the last GPU used.

You may notice up to TWICE the FPS compared to the last release, on frameskip 0 (now 0 is the default).

The L2/R2 button mapping is still not implemented. I'll look through the PSX docs I have for their map info.

Btw, someone asked how much I've made in donations and if it paid off my GP2X. Answer, not paid off, but 3 kind people have donated. I'm planning a future release for people who donated, so they can check out a milestone release like this one in advance.

New in this version:
- PSX rootcounter timers have been simplified allowing for further optimization of timings.
- Speed increase of almost 2x in some games.
- Due to speed increase, frameskip 0 is now the default.
- Back to the old GPU now with a 3D engine working.
- Better compatibility.
- Alpha blending enabled in the GPU

I'll keep an eye on the compatbility lists/wiki out there so I can see if this new release is in the right step.

Case in point, you'll see approx. 60 FPS with 0 frameskip in some areas of some games (2D areas as far as I've seen). Let me know if this is occuring in your games...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow sweet... I was literally in the process of copying Final Fantasy Tactics to my SD to check out your PSX emu, when I wandered in here and saw this post! Will let you know how it fares. Many thanks!

Thanks, I'll be making a small donation once I get my GP2X. I'm sure a lot more people will once their personaly faviout game is playable. I'm waiting for FF7 to get above 10fps with sound before I make a larger donation.

This is really great. I'd be happy to help out later when the code is not moving so much. :)

Im so going to test this once I rip apart my fftactics ^.^

Edit: Which program i use to do it? Ive tried PocketISO does that one do good?
96 meg fftactics.

Herm.. t hangs at the 'loading game without hle emulation' screen..

I mustve done something wrong when ripping since u said fftactics works :0 What settings do I do in PocketISO sir?

Playing FFT right now... A little slow (okay, pretty much unplayable), but still much faster, and very awesome. :D

Ummm... well... here is how it is for me. I tried DOA and Megaman Legends 2 with and without HLE and it crashes as soon as it loads (just a black screen for and you have to hard reset the gp2x). I was not able to test FF7 since my batteries ran out of juice. I would like someone to test it also to make sure.

zodttd, what graphics were you trying to blit with the 2nd cpu? if it's a plain bitmap residing originally in linux RAM, and you have to copy it to cpu2's memory before blitting it, wouldn't it be slower by definition (assuming all throughputs are equal)? Now, if it's a blitting routine that just draws a shape (ie, where not much info needs to be given to cpu2 for it to accomplish it), then I'd expect some improvement.

But... if you can have both processors use memory > 32MB (or whatever the cutoff is) for data, then something like simple copying to the framebuffer could possibly be faster if the 2nd cpu handles it, letting cpu1 do its own thing mostly from local cache memory, etc. (as long as the overhead in coordinating it is less than the gain, plus you'd have to make sure cpu1 doesn't change the data until after it's copied)

Are there any graphical artifacts? If it is running slow but with perfect graphics that is a really good point :D

Youre doing some amazing work Zod good sir! I'll test it soon as I can... and I'll donate in January, pwomise! Big family and girlfriend and xmas mean that not even a mugger could get any money from me this month :p

thanks for the new release zodttd, but many games dont work anymore for me, several dont even start or 3d is not working.
have to try more games!

hmm, compatibility is not higher than the last one with HLE fore me, many games crash which worked before and 3D is missing again in SidebySide.
argh i cant test the better speed ;)

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I'm desperate for my unit to arrive!

I will start ripping and testing my collection of rpgs and tactics games as soon as it arrives.

I don't have a GP2X (yet) but I think it would be useful if someone would make a faq for some ppl on how to convert games using pocketiso or whateva.

P.S. Great work man, can't wait till I get some cash together to buy a GP2X. I hope strider 2 works.

Back