Global Components did it again :)

^^^^^asfaik you will be in the second batch of 1ghz units to be sent out.I was in the first 20.alot more than 20 are being sent out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

I'm a preorderer from 2010 (I think it was 2010, don't even know anymore...) and I wonder whether 1GHz upgrades are accepted right now, because I'm thinking about upgrading from classic to 1GHz. According to ED's online shop, this would cost me 350€, right? Any rough estimate on how long I would have to wait for it if I ordered straight away? Not that I'm not used to the waiting by now, but I don't want to pay another huge amount of money and still have to wait months to receive it, as I read about some users whose upgraded Pandora did still not arrive after months, although this was a 512MB upgrade as far as I remember.

Yes, we're having 1GHz units at the GamesCom. And free Pandora shirts and pens for you guys :)

And you can finally punch me in the face because you had to wait so long for your Pandora :)
any chance i could get a pen or shirt sent with my 1ghz upgrade? ...maybe as a perk for the long wait before i made the upgrade (batch 2, 2010 preorder)

excited to get my pandora soon either way :)

I'm a preorderer from 2010 (I think it was 2010, don't even know anymore...) and I wonder whether 1GHz upgrades are accepted right now, because I'm thinking about upgrading from classic to 1GHz. According to ED's online shop, this would cost me 350€, right?

i was in the same situation i'am also a preorderer from 2010 (or 2009 i don't remember anymore lol)

financially i've made an effort and wanted to upgrade to a 1GHz unit. but when i learned that i had to add the VAT (112€ in addition to the 376€ upgrade cost) i abandonned. this extra charge was the knockout for me :ph34r:

but when i learned that i had to add the VAT (112€ in addition to the 376€ upgrade cost) i abandonned. this extra charge was the knockout for me :ph34r:

At least in EDs shop it says the price of 350€ (without new case) already includes VAT.

Yes, we're having 1GHz units at the GamesCom. And free Pandora shirts and pens for you guys :)

And you can finally punch me in the face because you had to wait so long for your Pandora :)
any chance i could get a pen or shirt sent with my 1ghz upgrade? ...maybe as a perk for the long wait before i made the upgrade (batch 2, 2010 preorder)

excited to get my pandora soon either way :)
+1!

Hi everyone!

Above all: Excellent news, ED! :)

So where are the naysayers?

Well, let me wail a bit...

I am an early 2009 batch one preorderer.

To support the project I also convinced other fellows to buy a pandora - they ordered through me - that's why I am in batch two, too.

I also ordered a premium pandora about the moment they came up - confirmed that order twice - yes - even in direct contact with ED.

Also in direct contact I asked for one of those half-defective CC-boards lying around at EDs place in order to code for the

rebirth-competition - got a confirmation but - heck - no board.

(So there was no competition for me as my project demanded real hardware-access unfortunately).

I upgraded to 1GHz through the "official" channels as soon as I read about that possibility and got no confirmation nor any response to my e-mails.

Finally - whew - I got "option"-emails for both my past batch one and two orders.

Well, I opted to upgrade the batch two units to 1 GHz and transferred the money.

No confirmation yet.

You know what?

I am up to this very day without pandora-hardware.

I think I did everything there can be reasonably done to get a pandora.

I have been patient.

Up to now I hardly ever urged or complained, but now I have the feeling that others get their 1GHz-unit sooner.

Apparently orders from July are ahead in the queue.

To put it into one single word - unfair.

I paid the same prize for the units as others, but I did pay most of it years earlier.

That's the simple reason why I feel that I should be ahead in the queue.

But okay, enough of that.

Aside from this post I'll keep staying patient, but hey - up to now I didn't even

receive the famous "did your address change?"-mail from ED.

ED - if you read this: My address didn't change.

You can send the units right away. ;)

And please: Improve your communications.

(Yes, I know about that e-mail-backlog of yours.)

Well, I am taking your new "dragon-box"-shop-system as step into the right direction.

Man, I continue looking forward to the day I'll get my units, and

afterwards I'll be hopefully able to pay my tribute to this GREAT

community with my feeble coding-skills.

And once again:

Thanks ED and Craig for your guts and long breath

thanks to all hard- and software developers of this great device

thanks to GC for doing such a fine job and

many thanks to the community.

It's always a pleasure to visit the forums.

but when i learned that i had to add the VAT (112€ in addition to the 376€ upgrade cost) i abandonned. this extra charge was the knockout for me :ph34r:

At least in EDs shop it says the price of 350€ (without new case) already includes VAT.

Personnally, I upgraded my preordered pandora to a 1Ghz in the ED shop and I paid only 269 EUR including VAT. Here is the explanation in the email I received mid july :

"The full price of the 1GHz Version of the Pandora is 599 EUR (incl. VAT).

When you ordered the Pandora, you paid 330 EUR (256 MB RAM, incl. VAT).

So the upgrade price for you would be 269 EUR (incl. VAT)"

I don't know how much you paid on your preorder, but 488 EUR for the upgrade seems quite expensive to me.

If I understand correctly:

* To get a 1GHz unit, you must pay for an upgrade or cancel a preorder and order a new one

* The 512 RAM upgrade is present in all Pandoras now

* The new cases are available to preorders

So if I have that right, what does this mean for the preorderers from batch 2? I'm fairly early in batch 2, and the last time I e-mailed Jacquelyn, there wasn't even an estimate of my queue position due to things changing a lot. Have things calmed down enough for me to e-mail her again for another estimate? I preordered in January of 2011 if memory serves. I was initially #1600-1700 of batch 2. After a bunch of people canceled their orders I ended up being 1200-1300, and the last concrete update I received was 600-700.

I don't mean to be impatient, because I know I made it to the party later than people who've been waiting since 2009. It's great to hear that production is finally going smooth. But what does this news mean for the preorderers? New units mean faster shipping for us as far as I can tell, but... maybe something automated that could allow us to check our queue position would be great.

All I know is I've wanted to contribute code and alternate OS development and whatnot to this project since I heard about it in 2009 or so, but the lack of hardware to toy with has put a damper on my enthusiasm and ability to contribute. As a result, I feel that I can't truly be a part of the community until I get a unit. I'm sort of like a bystander, watching people get theirs, watching developments arise, but being utterly incapable of joining the fun until I get mine.

I was lucky I was able to afford mine, too, or I'd gladly pony up a little bit more to quicken my order. But hey, that's life. I'll continue to wait since I think this hardware has lots of untapped potential... but my enthusiasm for it is slowly eroding. I hope I can get mine this year.

Personnally, I upgraded my preordered pandora to a 1Ghz in the ED shop and I paid only 269 EUR including VAT. Here is the explanation in the email I received mid july :

I don't know how much you paid on your preorder, but 488 EUR for the upgrade seems quite expensive to me.

I forgot to add the VAT in the EUR order, that's why that was a special deal, basically. I should've been higher, but as I only sent out that offer to my preorder-customers, I took the bite and accepted it.

I am an early 2009 batch one preorderer.

To support the project I also convinced other fellows to buy a pandora - they ordered through me - that's why I am in batch two, too.

I also ordered a premium pandora about the moment they came up - confirmed that order twice - yes - even in direct contact with ED.

Also in direct contact I asked for one of those half-defective CC-boards lying around at EDs place in order to code for the

rebirth-competition - got a confirmation but - heck - no board.

I just checked that - true, I totally forgot about that board back then.

It was the time just before production began, so I was totally stuffed with work (didn't expect it to be THAT much!)

The next mail I saw from you was that you wanted to upgrade to 1GHz. I didn't reply to that one, as I know I'll send newsletters about how to upgrade soon anyways :)

You got that newsletter, as I can see in my bank account ;)

Everything here worked fine, you just didn't make it into the units until now, but when I come back from the GamesCom, it looks you should get your two units right away.

Thanks a lot for your support.

I know eMailing me is a bit of an issue. That's why I create such official things like the way how to upgrade - that works out without issues.

If you get different eMails, it takes a lot more time to work through them.

So rest assured: The official upgrade way worked and you shall get them soon :)

I forgot to add the VAT in the EUR order, that's why that was a special deal, basically. I should've been higher, but as I only sent out that offer to my preorder-customers, I took the bite and accepted it.

that offer is still available or not?

I currently own a 1st gen 2nd batch openpandora and its really awesome! however the 600mhz cpu does not meet my need so hopefully with any luck my wife has order me a new 1ghz unit! so excite! I love what you guys do craigx and evildragon !!!! also awesome news about global components ability so facilitate the production of such a fine product!

that offer is still available or not?
I'm guessing not.

It was for those that got the cheaper price by accident. They can't afford to give that deal to everyone since it was never the intended price.

@ED: Thx, that's what I wanted to hear. :)

Have a lot of fun and success at the GamesCom!

I'd love to visit you there, but I get no vacation that week. :(

Perhaps next year...

Back