GamesCom Video and Remaining Tasks

The rotator chip was the low power "guaranteed" solution that works even if we couldn't get the 3D to work.

Thanks, I didn't know.

Shapeways will CNC or 3D print whatever plans you send to them. Including making stuff out of metal.
http://www.shapeways.com/create

ED could totally have a Pyra ring.

Or, worse case, he just straps an elastic band to a logo plate for the Pyra lid, and uses that (with some wood, or metacrylate, or Al or whatever between the logo plate and his fingers). I think it would take a few more drops of wax, maybe... (too big)
:p

ED could totally have a Pyra ring.
Yeah, but I think a printed one from shapeways will simply not do. I can think of two approaches: a casted signet ring or a classical build, like hammering a silver/whitegold/palladium ring and solder the logo on it, which will be made of red or yellow gold.
The later I can do the former will require to accumulate some skills I want to anyway...
(Let's say: If you do the crowdfunding for material I'll do it)

I'd love a simple white (or brown uncolored) cardboard box written on by hand.
It would be exactly the opposite to all the locked down stuff made by slave labour in Asia with shiny and thoroughly designed expensive boxes.

It would be eco friendly, humble, personal and unique.

although you'd have to feel sorry for ED, now we have him hand autographing every single Pyra box, my his hand is gonna cramp!!!

Sealing wax won't work though, unless the box is designed for it. Otherwise the seal will have to bend 90 degrees in the middle.

Perhaps someone know the youtuber Dave Jones (EEVblog).

I like the "bullshit free" packing of his multimeter.
This are simple white boxes with a nice little logo on it.

A white box with a simple black Pyra - logo + model description would be nice (and much cheaper then multi color boxes).
Perhaps a simple stamp would do the job.
Additional would be a design like this a unique characteristic between all this over the top colourful boxes.

One ring to rule them all... Dragon. Evil. Hellollo!
vfjqiv.jpg

One Pyra to rule them all.

How about having two packaging options?
  • A free (to the customer) box made from plain cardboard with a pyra logo stamp (maybe a date stamp as well?)
  • A really nice box for keeping and storing your precious in. You can get Indian Rosewood (Sheesham) boxes of an appropriate size for about £20 ($32, €24) - possibly less in quantity.

I opt for "a box" most other packages seem less practical.

I've changed my mind. I also want it in a box. I originally asked for my Pyra to be air-delivered to me by a flaming comet or a hot-air balloon, but now I see the error of my ways. So if I pay a few thousand more dollars can I have it delivered by Unicorn? I refuse to believe that the old Atlantis Post Office is no more!

I will use the Pyra with my old SD cards, to test which and how many Linux distros could run on it, yes, just test and demonstrate different distros one by one to other people.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Unquestionably the Pyra needs a proper retail style box and I'm certain Ed will do this. He did it with the rebirth Pandora units. It makes sense; not having a proper box might close certain commercial avenues; no sense in that.
I'm hoping end of September/mid October for the final down-payment. My money is sitting and waiting and I'm getting an itch to play games and muck about with a device like the Pyra.

And some more inofficial Pyra Gamescom Video Footage from 30:20 on (Talking about the Pyra begins at 29:40):

the guy on the right seems pretty excited about the pyra :) i loved his reactions to ED listing random features in the gamescom vid, it was like watching a kid pulling toy after toy out of a bottomless treasure chest :D

best comment though (from the woman in the middle): "... or you can hit someone with it" xD did that with my pandora once, would not recommend (R trigger got stuck and some paint was lost in the process).

Feat. ptitSeb and Askarus !
They were drawn over there by the presence of a camera. :p I didn't see @Askarus in any pics, so I thought he wasn't there this year.

This reminded me that I asked around in a chain used bookstore location we have locally that also has retro gaming stuff if they could carry new products in their store, or if that sort of thing is a corporate decision. They said they get sent all the new stuff from the company and their main location. That doesn't mean we can't get them in the store by other means (although someone will lose money that way). If ED is interested I can give him more info, but it sorta doesn't seem worth it. There is another place locally I will visit that I can try to get interested. Either way I think that would probably only result in tens of units sold, and the price may scare these people off, since they normally look for relatively low cost items.

best comment though (from the woman in the middle): "... or you can hit someone with it" xD did that with my pandora once, would not recommend (R trigger got stuck and some paint was lost in the process).
There's an interesting story to be told!

there are other features on the Pyra? i thought self-defense was the only reason to get one???

There's an interesting story to be told!
not that interesting, sadly. some guy at university kept making unfunny comments about pixel art and programmers, and since i'm a programmer doing pixel art in my free time (he knew that btw), i wasn't amused. i saved my snes emu state, closed the pandora and hit the dude with it. he blocked the second strike with his watch, so now my lil pandy has a scratch :/
funny enough though, after getting hit with the thing, he asked what it was and what it could do, and was pretty impressed :)

Back