A small photo story

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Time for a new summary of the stuff that has happened :)

Well, as mentioned, we're mostly working on the display now and preparing for the GamesCom (where we also want to present the Pyra with a display, of course)

Let's start with...

1. The Case

The shoulder button area has been changed and looks a lot more usable now.

Of course, a test will tell us that.

Bsr5l_pCEAA6gs0.pngBsr6ldgCIAABwob.pngBsr7k6fCQAA1wjc.png

Not much more has happened here, as we're mostly waiting for the final PCB and LCD.

2. The PCB

Mainboard Rev3 is finished - which is already pretty advanced. It will be used to find design flaws, bugs - and then hopefully, Rev4 will be last.

The PCB will be populated next week, here is already a picture of the PCB:

freshpcb.jpg

Next up is a little photo story :)

Nikolaus bought himself some equipment (a stencil printer) to be able to populate prototype PCBs himself at home.

He used one of the current display PCBs to test it out - and here are some neat pictures :)

a. Testing if the component fits (without solder paste)

DSC01963.jpeg

b. Putting the stencil into the stencil printer

DSC01965.jpeg

c. PCB and stencil adjusted

DSC01966.jpeg

d. Testing on normal paper (to be on the safe side ;) )

DSC01967.jpegDSC01968.jpeg

e. Applied to the real PCB

DSC01969.jpegDSC01970.jpeg

f. Doing manual pick and place (with a small tool to help having a calm hand)

DSC01973.jpeg

g. Parts properly put on

DSC01971.jpegDSC01972.jpeg

h. Next step: Put it into the (pizza) oven to bake the board.
Worked perfect - no short circuits, PCB is already tested and working :)

DSC01975.jpegDSC01976.jpegDSC01977.jpeg

So, next step: Get the Displays to work :)

3. The GamesCom and other preparations

Askarus and me have been working on our GamesCom Booth.

Here is a small overview of what our booth most probably will look like:

gc.png

Additionally, I've opened up the Pyra section in the DragonBox shop.

It will be filled with some merchandise products soon.
I'll also put the actual unit on there (of course, it can't be ordered yet), as the shop supports notification eMails, so everyone who has interest in the device but doesn't want to follow the development can inscribe himself into the notification list and get an eMail when ordering starts.

See you soon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Additionally, I've opened up the Pyra section in the DragonBox shop.
It will be filled with some merchandise products soon.
If tshirts are made will they be black with red logo like the mug?  I may try to pick one up when the Al Pandora cases ship.

So, what is inside the booth?

Nice to see how to board is made. Also good work if it worked the first time.

Can't wait to see it.

I think the shoulder buttons still need a re-design. It's not clear what is R1 and what is R2. Also the notches of the buttons look a bit too deep. Maybe it's still fine without them.

I think the shoulder buttons still need a re-design. It's not clear what is R1 and what is R2. Also the notches of the buttons look a bit too deep. Maybe it's still fine without them.

It seems to me that the larger primary button would be R1 and the smaller would be R2..
If this is the case it will be very easy to remember.  If the top ones are 1 it will be easy to remember because they are on top if we just make a mental note.  

I am pretty sure after a few minutes playing it will stick, so markings may not be needed.  If I am playing a game and can't remember which hand is left I am not going to turn the Pyra around to figure it out.  Same with the 1 and 2.

Thanks EvilDragon. These are the kind of updates that show management of the project is on-the-ball and progress is being made. Kudos and congratulations and thanks again for keeping us informed every week!

It seems to me that the larger primary button would be R1 and the smaller would be R2..
If this is the case it will be very easy to remember.  If the top ones are 1 it will be easy to remember because they are on top if we just make a mental note.  

I am pretty sure after a few minutes playing it will stick, so markings may not be needed.  If I am playing a game and can't remember which hand is left I am not going to turn the Pyra around to figure it out.  Same with the 1 and 2.
Now that I actually looked at a playstation controller it seems the 2's are on the lower trigger... I guess perhaps go with the standard..

Now that I actually looked at a playstation controller it seems the 2's are on the lower trigger... I guess perhaps go with the standard..
On playstation controller the 2's are just as easily accessible as the 1's.
But on Pyra the top ones are going to be really close to the lid when it is opened, making them a bit less easy to press, I imagine. So for that reason they probably shouldn't be the primary shoulder buttons.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Pyra accessoire that only consists of a very small bluetooth module, arduino and a rgb led that you can wear as kind of watch that shows the status led so you don't need to get your device out of the pocket to check if you have mail or the battery is running low etc?

Back