Release Fullspeed Amiga Emulation On Pandora!

hobbyman II said:
AMOS

oh yes! AMOS please!, that would be awesome, all I ever want is a BASIC compiler with graphical ability, stuff OOP, OOPS for wimps who cant` code :p (Joke...I just hate the whole OOP thing..codes LINEAR right?, just get used to it, when you do it`s easy as pie :D )
The source code for AMOS is available. How about a Native port for Pandora?! Sweet! lol

maybe you could make UAE launch on boot and provide workbench as the gui, awesome B) :pandora1:

Hehe I thought of that. A nice little retrospective launcher plugin that could launch Pandora apps directly from workbench. It would be a terrible waste of resources though, not sure how well your Pandy apps would run with UAE as a background task.

Better off trying to Compile AmiWM for ARM Linux and using that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
A500. It's a quick port of UAE4all for GP2X that I did :p
Oh you ported it, Notaz!! Then I'm convinced it's in good hands.
See any chance of harddisk support in the future?
Actually, the picodrive, you did for the SE p900, is what made me aware of gp2x & :pandora1: and brought me here. Amazing how well you got it working on that phone with its hardware limits.
You surely know how to optimize.
Interested to look into Atari ST emu too? ... since its one of the same processor family, you are so familiar with? ;)

I was thinking of waiting for the second batch but this makes me want one of the first ones! Although someone did ask wether sound was being emulated aswell.......is it???? I'd be gutted if Project X was only running that fast if the sound was turned off........also, I noticed on Project X that the weapons bit at the bottom of the screen wasn't visible, is that just me or is the WHOLE screen available? The GP2X couldn't fit everything in!

Pocket Workbench, Pocket Amiga Dos, Pocket Deluxe Paint, Pocket Personal Paint, Pocket TV Paint, Pocket OctaMed SoundStudio, Pocket Protracker, Pocket TurboCalc, Pocket Wordworth, Pocket Final Word, Pocket FinalCalc, Pocket BlitzBasic, Pocket Scala, Pocket Vista Pro, Pocket Cinema 4D, Pocket Real3D, Pocket Adorage, Pocket Imagine, Pocket MainActor, Pocket Pixel 3D Pro, Pocket Professional Page, Pocket Superbase Personal, Pocket Final Writer, Pocket PageStream, Pocket Final Data, Pocket Page Setter, Pocket WordPerfect, Pocket LightWave, Pocket Brilliance, Pocket Comic Setter, Pocket Photogenics etc

my god I was only thinking about the games - but this would be superbad!

:D

Rick

Babrios said:
notaz said:
A500. It's a quick port of UAE4all for GP2X that I did :p
Oh you ported it, Notaz!! Then I'm convinced it's in good hands.
See any chance of harddisk support in the future?
Actually, the picodrive, you did for the SE p900, is what made me aware of gp2x & :pandora1: and brought me here. Amazing how well you got it working on that phone with its hardware limits.
You surely know how to optimize.
Interested to look into Atari ST emu too? ... since its one of the same processor family, you are so familiar with? ;)

Full speed amiga emulation - great to have on Pandora. Skeezix is dealing with Atari ST emulation.

Username said:
Never played the Amiga. Is it good?
It was an excellent machine. Heres a little showcase video :)

Commodore Amiga - 100 games in 10 Minutes

Pleng said:
hobbyman II said:
AMOS

oh yes! AMOS please!, that would be awesome, all I ever want is a BASIC compiler with graphical ability, stuff OOP, OOPS for wimps who cant` code :p (Joke...I just hate the whole OOP thing..codes LINEAR right?, just get used to it, when you do it`s easy as pie :D )
The source code for AMOS is available. How about a Native port for Pandora?! Sweet! lol

maybe you could make UAE launch on boot and provide workbench as the gui, awesome B) :pandora1:

Hehe I thought of that. A nice little retrospective launcher plugin that could launch Pandora apps directly from workbench. It would be a terrible waste of resources though, not sure how well your Pandy apps would run with UAE as a background task.

Better off trying to Compile AmiWM for ARM Linux and using that :)

As for the source code of Amos, it is written in 68000 Assembly language. A better bet would be sdlBasic.

I'm involved with a project that aims to implement the Amos language in Low-Level Virtual Machine which will be much more portable than the original Amos. Our project is called Mattathias (named after the son of the prophet Amos). If you are a coder and want to get involved, join the LLVM developers' mailing list and download the source. Having a complete and functional JIT compiler for the ARM processor would really help us out.

I like the AMOS language and I'd like to be involved in this once we have the Pandora shipping, AMOS would make a fantastic Pandora programming language for a built in system (ie code it on the Pandora itself).

craigix said:
I like the AMOS language and I'd like to be involved in this once we have the Pandora shipping, AMOS would make a fantastic Pandora programming language for a built in system (ie code it on the Pandora itself).
PM sent.

@Pleng

...Nah! I meant more like just shutting down the Linux GUI and just running the Pandora solely as a pocket Amiga, I mean, the Amiga did have a whole truckload of applications in its own right, anything you can do on a PC you can do on an Amiga for a fraction of the CPU speed.

@Craigx & Samurai Crow

.... OMG! my head just exploded :blink: , native AMOS? , I need to lie down for a little while :huh: :lol: (umm! would that be AMOS Pro or the original AMOS? either`s cool, but Pro making Arm exe`s would rock)

Hobbyman

hobbyman II said:
@Craigx & Samurai Crow

.... OMG! my head just exploded :blink: , native AMOS? , I need to lie down for a little while :huh: :lol: (umm! would that be AMOS Pro or the original AMOS? either`s cool, but Pro making Arm exe`s would rock)
It will take months to finish and has taken years in the making (having started over once or twice) but Mattathias should eventually be able to do everything that AmosPro could do (minus the Peek and Poke functionality, that doesn't work in a memory-protected environment like Linux). The catch is that we'll need good support from the LLVM team to get it to work on as many platforms as we'd like to. Since LLVM is included with XCode 3.1 on the Mac, we should see some support from them sooner or later. The hard part is getting it to support extensions.

hobbyman II said:
@Pleng
...Nah! I meant more like just shutting down the Linux GUI and just running the Pandora solely as a pocket Amiga, I mean, the Amiga did have a whole truckload of applications in its own right, anything you can do on a PC you can do on an Amiga for a fraction of the CPU speed.
Remember the Amithlon amiga emu on PC?
It was based on a heavily modified x86-Linux-Kernel.
The Amiga-OS accessed the hardware directly via drivers, and there was a translation layer for the 68XXX code.
Edit:Or it was a CPU-emulation with a translation layer for the rest of the hardware so the amiga OS could run on top of it.
That made it much faster than any other Amiga-Emu. You could boot directly into it and not only did you have a much faster Amiga, but with the drivers you had an Amiga with superb graphic/sound/network-card.
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/emulators/amithlon.
http://www.garycvl.f2s.com/about.html
http://x86amiga.awardspace.com/

Could that approach to Amiga emulation be considered for the :pandora1: ? (Tailored to the core8 and Pandoras hardware and not x86 based, of course)
It would be tremendously great for running apps under Amiga OS. It could boot the Amiga OS directly.
... probably not completely compatible with Amiga games, though. But maybe even good for game emulation when used as an underlying layer?

Babrios said:
hobbyman II said:
@Pleng
Remember the Amithlon amiga emu on PC?
It was based on a heavily modified x86-Linux-Kernel.
The Amiga-OS accessed the hardware directly via drivers, and there was a translation layer for the 68XXX code.
That made it much faster than any other Amiga-Emu. You could boot directly into it and not only did you have a much faster Amiga, but with the drivers you had an Amiga with superb graphic/sound/network-card.
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/emulators/amithlon.
http://www.garycvl.f2s.com/about.html
http://x86amiga.awardspace.com/

Could that approach to Amiga emulation be considered for the :pandora1: ? (Tailored to the core8 and Pandoras hardware and not x86 based, of course)
It would be tremendously great for running apps under Amiga OS. It could boot the Amiga OS directly.
... probably not completely compatible with Amiga games, though. But maybe even good for game emulation when used as an underlying layer?

Amithlon was more than an emulator, it actually had recompiled sections of AmigaOS for the x86. Since AmigaOS isn't open source, a better option might be porting hosted AROS to the Pandora and using endian swapping as necessary.

edit:
AROS Linkys:
AROS-Exec forums, AROS homepage

Samurai_Crow said:
Amithlon was more than an emulator, it actually had recompiled sections of AmigaOS for the x86. Since AmigaOS isn't open source, a better option might be porting hosted AROS to the Pandora and using endian swapping as necessary.
Didn't know about that recompiled sections of Amiga OS. Yes AROS would be a much better option then.
What I find so fascinating about the Amithlon project is the principle of really taking over the hardware instead of just emulating a system on top of an OS. I remember, a friend of mine had turned his laptop into an amithlon system and I was completely stunned when I first saw it. He had Pagestream, Lightwave and Samplitude (yes that started on the Amiga) running at an incredible speed. Something like that on the Pandora would be sensational and a big selling point too. Could be a whole alternate OS.

Babrios said:
Samurai_Crow said:
Didn't know about that recompiled sections of Amiga OS. Yes AROS would be a much better option then.
What I find so fascinating about the Amithlon project is the principle of really taking over the hardware instead of just emulating a system on top of an OS. I remember, a friend of mine had turned his laptop into an amithlon system and I was completely stunned when I first saw it. He had Pagestream, Lightwave and Samplitude (yes that started on the Amiga) running at an incredible speed. Something like that on the Pandora would be sensational and a big selling point too. Could be a whole alternate OS.

Since were all ready way out in la-la-land, how about having OS 4 available for the pandora natively, especially when hooked to a larger screen. Reading their website and certain features of the OS, I really like the way it works. One thing that I really like is the concept of using system wide drivers for file types. You can install a .doc driver and then all native applications will know how to deal with .doc files. In that way you can use your favorite word processor and it doesn't have to support a particular file format. Using this method, you can probably open websites with any document software. It also makes embedding various types of data in the same document possible, again without the software supporting it directly. That's just 1 example of many things I read at their website describing their new os (If it ever gets released widespread). It's a shame that this piece of software has been held up in legal disputes and battles for so long and with Apple abandoning ppc, we can most likely assume it will not see widespread distribution. Personally, I'd like to see it released for x86. I would definitely give it a shot. But the Pandora might actually be a good platform for it to run on. But I wouldn't hold my breath:)

Chris

Back