Emulation OF the Pandora

3_bit

I definitely do have plans to buy a pandora, but do need to run some tests on it's capabilities. Are there any programs that let me emulate the system fullspeed? (600MHz is fine) The purpose of this is to see what (Windows) games I can get running on it, and I wouldn't want the emulation of the pandora to be more than 1200 MHz.

Well, thats not possible atm. Your best bet is to ask on the forums, which games are runnable.

It'd be great if some Pandora users volunteered to demo some games. I definitely would like to see Quake 3 Fortress (seeing as how TF2 is out of the question)

Well, quake 3 on windows is out of the question, as is everything, that needs more than. An early Pentium PC, as the whole pc needs to be emulated with qemu to run windowsgames.

Quake 3 runs natively, but has some graphical problems due to the bad driversituation with the sgx and someone would need to try to add the mod for it and test.

Maybe somebody might pick up work on quake 3 again, if there is demand, but no guarantee.

While you can probably rig up something reasonably close to Pandora's OS environment running in qemu there's no way the emulation would be anywhere close to accurate enough to give you an idea of how well things would run on the real thing. AFAIK qemu doesn't even have any attempt at timing emulation at all, and will just run the thing as fast as your computer can (which is probably still far below the speed the real Pandora would run at)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're talking emulation of DOS and Windows, then you're talking about qemu and dosbox presumably.. and there are threads for those, with compatibility and performance commentary; check there :)

I forget, but dosbox on a regular pandora is running what.. approx like a Pentium 90 or less, something like that? People have gotten some tolerable performance from Win31 and Win95, but you're generally in the Win3.1 and DOS era of gaming (ie: SC2 is nearly playable, maybe playable, but nothing later than that..and probably a little bit earlier.)

The Quakes have native ports, but if you wanted Halflife1 to go for example, you're likely boned. 3D in DOS/windows emulation is hard, but 2d stuff is fairly feasible.

jeff

Back