Forum software switch...

whatever the outcome is, it would be great if i could use
quote and edit my posts again using my trusted cli
javascript-less browser w3m. it worked ok in the last
forumsoftware version, so here is hope it will work again!

i like the idea of integrating the other boards.
for now a 4.1 update is a good idea imho, as this seems
to be a bugfix release hopefully fixing lots of stuff
without too much work.

ah, and re-add the rss-feed for new topics pretty please,
as my rss-feed-reader feels soo lonely without 'em. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to use the second text area (outside the noscript tag and hidden by default) to edit a post. The board software seems to ignore the noscript field when the other has content (which is the case when editing). You just have to find a way to unhide it (e.g. user style targeting textarea.ipsHide).

Reactions: rSl
@Levi

1. Glad you agree

2. I tend to agree also,I made a new thread in the Improvements area just now.

3. Fair enough but this is something that everyone will probably have to deal with, surely there's simple bug trackers out there.

4. The new forum software that's proposed, I had a play with it. Everything looks consistent. 

@_jr_
wow thanks! just found this little textarea, it's even
shown by default here, now i can edit my posts again, yay!!
:)

-update-
as ed has now updated the boardsoftware, it even works now
in the regular textarea, woohoo!

Okay, upgrade happened, I know I need to work on some more things, so no need to post any bugs yet, I'll work on those tonight :)

Testing quotes:

Well, certainly don't wipe them... great treasure trove of information here, much akin to the gp32x.de forums that are still a good read for their tasty, tasty knowledge :p

IPB4, MyBB and XenForo offer tabbed forums, so my plan is to integrate gp32x.de and the german boards as it's own tab, so everyone can find them but they don't get in the way of other users.

With XenForo and MyBB, an import would work, with IPB4, there's no importer yet (but I still could add them into the site as menu topic, setting them to ReadOnly...)

The German boards are pretty much dead, sadly, so I am thinking adding german and french sections here (again, as tabs, so that the forum doesn't get cluttered).

I've got some ideas to make the site more structured, but all of them include switching to IPB4 (heavily improved menu system), XenForo or MyBB.
Okay, upgrade happened, I know I need to work on some more things, so no need to post any bugs yet, I'll work on those tonight :)

quotes aren't nested automatically, but nesting them manually seems to work fine, that could get really tedious though

thanks for upgrading, seems it went smooth.
*whispers* ...rss-feed for newtopics... ;)

-update-
just found the discover-unread-rss-feed, i think i can live
with that too! ;)

OK, I don't see much difference to be honest. Well, the Forum is red again but besides that... ^^

I still see no preview options for postings or a switcher to plain BB code here in the editor, at least the editor still works. Oh, and the page numbers are bugy (the green ones), at least under Opera. I don't see any page numbers except the current page.

And the cursor sometimes jumps wildly here, had this before. This editor has it's own will, scary! 
default_ph34r.png

Oh, and the page numbers are bugy (the green ones), at least under Opera. I don't see any page numbers except the current page, not so great.

I confirm, same browser anyway... also if I click on the quoted text I can't place the cursor, I have to go there with the keyboard

The PM function has improved a lot, the menu system also is usable again, I'll make use of that :)

Also, the new activity function is useful, everyone can create his / her own favourite unread-Stream... I will add some useful defaults as well.

I finally managed to make a stream that works like the old "New content" page. Still have those annoying date splits though, can't seem to get rid of them. 

Show Me: Content Items only

Content Types: All content

Read status: Content I haven't read

Ownership: Everything

Follow Status: Everything

Time Period: Since my last visit

Seems to work well, just those annoying date splitters to get rid of. Might have to adblock those.

D.

Seems to work well, just those annoying date splitters to get rid of. Might have to adblock those.

Can you make a screenshot of what you mean?

I can edit the theme and want to make it cleaner, just haven't looked at the stream setup yet :)

Sure!

You can see the "Past Hour" and "Today" markers - totally unnecessary, as are the icons to the left which denote the type of entry (though they're unobtrusive and don't get in the way, so it's probably not worth it to remove them). 

I actually really like this new upgrade, but there's one thing missing - I have to go to "activity", then "My activity streams" and then click on my "New content" stream to get an updated list of new posts. The old forum had a single button at the top of the page which did the same job. Unfortunately, with the new streams setup, you can't really have one generic "new content" button, as each user's preference might be different to mine.

Overall though, this is vastly improved. You could certainly teach WorldOfSpectrum.org a thing or two about how to choose a forum that's easy to use and nicer to read with this layout...

D.

Pandora.png

Yes there is,  it's just been renamed so that it's now listed as "unread content"  you can actually see it in your screenshot.   The icon that used to go with it (a star?) seems to be missing though.

-Neelix

Yes there is,  it's just been renamed so that it's now listed as "unread content"  you can actually see it in your screenshot.   The icon that used to go with it (a star?) seems to be missing though.

No, that's not the same thing at all. "Unread content" lists posts with previews which takes up a huge amount of room, and also lists all unread posts, not just the ones made since my last visit. As such there's pages and pages of it. I much prefer my custom stream - just need a way to get to it that doesn't involve navigating a menu or setting a bookmark.

D.

Back