Next XenForo version will support IPB4.0/IPB4.1 migration

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I just received the information from the XenForo team that the next version of XenForo (which will be released in about 2 weeks) will support IBP4.0/IPB4.1 migration!

It should import our forum data nicely, since they used the actual data of our forum (which I sent them) to develop the importer and test it :D

As long as it just works, why not. I still have to fight with quotes, however, they are already better handled than the first ones but there is still no preview function (or did I missed it?) and no alternative simple bb-code mode yet.

is this weird XenForo widely used? Can't imagine it, to many bugs and to crazy behaviour.

is this weird XenForo widely used? Can't imagine it, to many bugs and to crazy behaviour.

And what weird bugs and crazy behaviour might that be?

Can you let me know some examples where you had these issues?

I've been using their boards for a while, and they seem fast (even with the Pandora), very similar to the old IPB version, very flexible in configuration.

The only thing I think is not that optimal is that the quotes ALWAYS show as BBCode, the editor doesn't have a proper preview for that yet.

It's made by former vbulletin members (before vbulletin went down the same drain as IPB).

Yes, unless I'm missing something we have not been able to embed videos in the forum, only the links could be pasted.

Anyways all will be good soon enough.

We could even migrate faster, as I will get the importer tool upfront so I can test everything is working.

But I'll take my time, first, I'll setup the new site how I think it should be (with all extensions), then I'll migrate the forum (without switching yet) and will test everything and do more tweaks.

In the end, when everything is working, we can switch :)

Any user is welcome to help me test and improve everything before we go public :)

And what weird bugs and crazy behaviour might that be?

I wrote an long text here but due this bugs it's gone. 3rd try to write  something here...Enough already? ;)    Not only, the cursor jumps  here on it's  own will, it deletes stuff it shouldn't, it does not delte stuff it should (in quotes for example, it always marks all or nothing) and the instant quote due marking text is not good when I want to use my instant translator plugin (mark a word to translate it, the quote function deletes the marking).  The function to keep the text in the editor is nice but it also makes it hard to delete all by closing the Tab, etc... And it does not help when I want to keep text that is accidently deleted due mismatching cursoe, like I already wrote.

It took some time to find an insert functuon for pictures, it's a little bit hidden. Overall, I don't like this unresponsive editor. At least it does not work well enough compared to "oldschool" forum editors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you meant bugs here, not with XenForo :)

I'm talking only about the post editor. ^^" Outside of that, most works fine... well I have not found a "my content" function yet to see all posts I wrote something in, but this may bot be a bug...

@Fusion_Power you seem to be missing ED's point.  We don't have XenForo yet.  The broken system we currently have is IBP 4.1.   XenForo is the prospective solution to these issues.

-Neelix

We could even migrate faster, as I will get the importer tool upfront so I can test everything is working.

But I'll take my time, first, I'll setup the new site how I think it should be (with all extensions), then I'll migrate the forum (without switching yet) and will test everything and do more tweaks.

In the end, when everything is working, we can switch :)

Does that makes sense?

I would test the importer first and then set up the rest?

If you set everything up and migrating is the last step then it's a waste of time if that migrating step fails.

Hm, am I the only one, who finds is quite ironic to use an unfree board software for an open handhelds community? Version 4.1 seems to run well and imo the community has way bigger problems than some flaws of the recent IP version...

When the open world is also better, its also quite moronic. I thought I was the only one who noticed all the bugs and inconsistencies, but with 4.* it seems IPboard has nailed it in terms of disservice.

Some part of me hopes XenForo is equally bad so that we finally can land on something stable and good.

@Fusion_Power you seem to be missing ED's point.  We don't have XenForo yet.  The broken system we currently have is IBP 4.1.   XenForo is the prospective solution to these issues.

-Neelix

Ah, OK. I thought he used XenForo before.  But these bugs here are somehow similar  to the older version ED used,  at least in my case. But it's already a little bit better.

Back