Forum software switch...

No, that's not the same thing at all. "Unread content" lists posts with previews which takes up a huge amount of room, and also lists all unread posts, not just the ones made since my last visit. As such there's pages and pages of it. I much prefer my custom stream - just need a way to get to it that doesn't involve navigating a menu or setting a bookmark.

Yes, I can configure that as well, just didn't have time yet :)

Yes, I can configure that as well, just didn't have time yet :)

Hey, no problem. As I said, I actually quite like this new version (in as much as it's the best you're gonna get - there's really no way back to the old software, is there?) so no rush.

D.

If you open your custom stream you'll notice a greyed out tick next to the stream title.  Click that to make that stream your default stream and it will change the "Unread Posts" link to use your selected stream instead.

-Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, the icons for link and emoticon in this edit box seem to be wrong at the moment; the link button is represented by a 'settings'-style cog, while the emoticon button is represented by the link icon.  The text alignment icons also look screwy, and remove format is currently using the numbered list icon.

On further consideration, I see that the current bulleted list and numbered list icons have the bullets and numbers on the wrong side; perhaps they're the icons for a right-to-left written language like arabic?  Basically, most of the icons are a bit wrong at present.

There seems to be an awfully short session timeout set now (a couple of minutes it seems). Makes it difficult to compose an answer, but perhaps thats intended:)

If you open your custom stream you'll notice a greyed out tick next to the stream title.  Click that to make that stream your default stream and it will change the "Unread Posts" link to use your selected stream instead.

-Neelix

Oh, that's just perfect - ta!

D.

-Neelix

Doesn't seem to be working for me, when I click it it claims it saved my settings, but then clicking on "Unread Posts" resets the stream to defaults.

I'm not really happy with all those migrations, did we really have to do it? Has the 3.x line had some security issues or something that required this upgrade? The missing bbcode is a huge loss for me, and it looks like there is no solution for that.

When you are editing your stream settings you need to click "Save as new stream" (at the bottom left) instead of "Update results". (at the bottom right)  Then you should be able to set your new "Custom Stream" as the default.

I have to admit I'd rather have stayed with 3.x or gone back to it.   I rather suspect that the only way to do that though would be to revert the database back to what it was before the upgrade - i.e. all subsequent posts would be lost.

As it stands I can only hope that ED can move us over to a package which was designed by someone who wasn't intent on re-inventing the wheel before this bloody editor drives us all insane...

-Neelix

Yeah, the lack of BBCode is worrying. I tried to post with image tags, but had to resort to attaching the image instead. Other than that, I think the editor appears (so far) to be better than the last one.

Still not a patch on old-style forums (I quite like SimpleMachines atm, and my own SpecBAS forum runs on PhpBB). Why do they insist that it needs to be a miniature social network? All we need is somewhere to post messages in groups with occasional pm facilities. 

D.

Back