Firmware Is Out

DaveC posted on Feb 17 2006 at 09:06 PM said:
I am no GPL freak.  In fact I was pissed about the militant ones making all kinds of threats that could kill the GP2X.

But even I am getting annoyed at them for not releasing the source.  While I am not going to go off on the whole stolen code bit, the source needs to be released to improve the GP2X.  I can't say it any other way except Dignsys sucks cock.  All of this waiting and the FW is not really much better.  Terrible boot times, awful washed out gamma on the screen, buggy apps, BAH!  If the source was out some REAL developers in this community could make some genuine progress.  It is obvious that dignsys is inept and the firmware will still be crap in 6 months from no if they are still doing it.  Just think, with all of the L337 coders from here the FW could be much better.  Fast  boot times, good apps, a screen gamma that doesn't look as faded as 20 year old jeans,  and more SD compatibility etc.  Release the source dammit!!
Ummmm. read my post above your's (or the GPL thread). The source has been released.
And did you get payment for my cap ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ingrin posted on Feb 18 2006 at 03:12 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 17 2006 at 09:06 PM said:
I am no GPL freak.  In fact I was pissed about the militant ones making all kinds of threats that could kill the GP2X.

But even I am getting annoyed at them for not releasing the source.  While I am not going to go off on the whole stolen code bit, the source needs to be released to improve the GP2X.  I can't say it any other way except Dignsys sucks cock.  All of this waiting and the FW is not really much better.  Terrible boot times, awful washed out gamma on the screen, buggy apps, BAH!  If the source was out some REAL developers in this community could make some genuine progress.  It is obvious that dignsys is inept and the firmware will still be crap in 6 months from no if they are still doing it.  Just think, with all of the L337 coders from here the FW could be much better.  Fast  boot times, good apps, a screen gamma that doesn't look as faded as 20 year old jeans,  and more SD compatibility etc.  Release the source dammit!!
Ummmm. read my post above your's (or the GPL thread)?
And did you get payment for my cap ;)

Oh that is real source? Like complete and everything? In that case nevermind.

Yes I sent out the cap.

DaveC posted on Feb 17 2006 at 09:14 PM said:
Oh that is real source? Like complete and everything? In that case nevermind.

Yes I sent out the cap.
Well, I'll leave it to the devs to declare it complete, looks a bit better than before though.
and YAY! on the cap, I await it with baited breath (and a broken stock cap... grrrrr)

Gandalfjip posted on Feb 17 2006 at 07:14 AM said:
New version finnaly, http://gp2x.co.kr/

1.4.0 same kernel but different patch ;)

Was wondering if MAME 1.5 or 1.4 is still working with the firmware update. Also, I'm a little nervous about updating mine. Mine came with 1.2.1. Is it risky to try the update? Is there a chance that I'll break my GP2X?

naples39 posted on Feb 18 2006 at 12:38 AM said:
One other thing--has anyone else tried TileMatch? The sound is all messed up on my unit after upgrading. It's too fast/high pitched. What's going on there?
Naples, I've been told that something has changed inside the sound driver and it affects to some apps using SDL_mixer. As soon as I have 1.4 installed, I'll try to solve it, but it's not going to happen before Feb 20th as I'm working on a new game that will be sent to the GP2X Coding Competition. In fact, I guess it's going to have the same problem as it uses SDL_mixer as well (Craigx or Guyfawkes, if you see this, please check this message I've sent asking which firmware version you're going to use to try the entries - thanks).

frank.burcaw posted on Feb 17 2006 at 08:18 PM said:
Gandalfjip posted on Feb 17 2006 at 07:14 AM said:
New version finnaly, http://gp2x.co.kr/

1.4.0 same kernel but different patch ;)

Was wondering if MAME 1.5 or 1.4 is still working with the firmware update. Also, I'm a little nervous about updating mine. Mine came with 1.2.1. Is it risky to try the update? Is there a chance that I'll break my GP2X?
As long as you have full batteries and a compatible SD card, you should be fine. There's an updater application somewhere in the archive I think that will make it easier if you're really worried about it. Judging from the reactions to 1.4 so far, though, I wouldn't be in a huge rush.

miq01 posted on Feb 17 2006 at 11:20 PM said:
Naples, I've been told that something has changed inside the sound driver and it affects to some apps using SDL_mixer. As soon as I have 1.4 installed, I'll try to solve it, but it's not going to happen before Feb 20th as I'm working on a new game that will be sent to the GP2X Coding Competition. In fact, I guess it's going to have the same problem as it uses SDL_mixer as well (Craigx or Guyfawkes, if you see this, please check this message I've sent asking which firmware version you're going to use to try the entries - thanks).

Okay, thanks for the update. Fortunately the rest of the game works fine because I don't know if my gp2x could survive for too long without tilematch!!

Ravnos posted on Feb 18 2006 at 03:16 AM said:
It's not complete, it's just the kernel by the looks of things. It's the most important piece, though.

Not complete? Well in that case GPL freaks, commence bitching ;)

Ravnos posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:21 PM said:
As long as you have full batteries and a compatible SD card, you should be fine. There's an updater application somewhere in the archive I think that will make it easier if you're really worried about it. Judging from the reactions to 1.4 so far, though, I wouldn't be in a huge rush.

Just downloaded it. Do I copy the three files (gp2xkernel.img, gp2xpatch-1.4.0.gpu, and gp2xpatch-1.4.0.tar.gz) to my SD card. Turn on the GP2X, goto the Utility menu, select the gp2xpatch-1.4.0.gpu file? Was hoping to see a readme file in the archieve. I'm not a power user like most of you - I just have a fond appreciation for the games I played in the 80's.

BTW - Not to fan the flames, but mine booted in 27 seconds with 1GB SD Card, week old, 2600 MaH batteries. But I don't do much with mine besides playing MAME, Stella, and Frodo games.

Also want to thank those who have posted help in the past. These forums rock!

What if stuff only works with 1.4 and you don't want to upgrade? Will there be a way to use these programs with the proper sound and older FW? I hope so because the screen gamma on everything after 1.01 is TOO WASHED OUT!! I wish GPH would get it through their thick skulls that bright washed out colors is NOT good :rolleyes: Morons.

DaveC posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:33 PM said:
What if stuff only works with 1.4 and you don't want to upgrade? Will there be a way to use these programs with the proper sound and older FW? I hope so because the screen gamma on everything after 1.01 is TOO WASHED OUT!! I wish GPH would get it through their thick skulls that bright washed out colors is NOT good :rolleyes: Morons.

I'm tired of you saying that.

So here's the solution to your "problem" that I use all the time when it's too bright.

regular5ey.png

Here's your GP2X probably as you see it now.

Here's what you should do:

tilt2uq.png

TILT IT BITCH!

*take this with a pinch of salt, and some pepper please...

DynaMight posted on Feb 17 2006 at 08:23 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 17 2006 at 08:15 PM said:
So does the battery still read "Midium" when you check it in Settings?

Nope, Actually says Medium now! but the Music player still says Stero :(

Hmm, somethings odd for me..

When i get to the loading screen when booting, it says v. 1.1.0

But on info it says 1.40 and i have the LCD option, hmm ;S

You've loaded the patch correctly but havent flashed properly yet. Try copying the IMG file back onto the root and turn on, Funnily mine didnt read the img file until I loaded the patch.

I'm experiencing the same problem and I tried Dynamight's solution to fix the unchanged splash screen. Is there anything else that may be able to fix this? And if worse comes to worse, is there a difference if it's just an unchanged splash screen?

I sure would love to see an option in the firmware that allows you to choose whether you want the backlight on or off. Like how now it sets the clock speed to a default everytime it loads the menu, maybe it could do that with the backlight too, and we can change what is the default.

devestation posted on Feb 17 2006 at 11:34 PM said:
I sure would love to see an option in the firmware that allows you to choose whether you want the backlight on or off. Like how now it sets the clock speed to a default everytime it loads the menu, maybe it could do that with the backlight too, and we can change what is the default.

Backlight cannot be turned off. Only the LCD can (which means it is like looking at the GP2X turned off completely).

Shikaku posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:45 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:33 PM said:

I'm tired of you saying that.

So here's the solution to your "problem" that I use all the time when it's too bright.

regular5ey.png

Here's your GP2X probably as you see it now.

Here's what you should do:

tilt2uq.png

TILT IT BITCH!

*take this with a pinch of salt, and some pepper please...

its basic color theory that you don't put white text on pastel colors like they are doing. it does look pretty unprofessional.

mrpham posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:56 PM said:
DynaMight posted on Feb 17 2006 at 08:23 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 17 2006 at 08:15 PM said:
So does the battery still read "Midium" when you check it in Settings?

Nope, Actually says Medium now! but the Music player still says Stero :(

Hmm, somethings odd for me..

When i get to the loading screen when booting, it says v. 1.1.0

But on info it says 1.40 and i have the LCD option, hmm ;S

You've loaded the patch correctly but havent flashed properly yet. Try copying the IMG file back onto the root and turn on, Funnily mine didnt read the img file until I loaded the patch.

I'm experiencing the same problem and I tried Dynamight's solution to fix the unchanged splash screen. Is there anything else that may be able to fix this? And if worse comes to worse, is there a difference if it's just an unchanged splash screen?

i've got the same problem, mine still show 1.2.1 on the splash. its probably just a minor bug in the update that will be fixed with a .1 release.

EDIT: i formatted my SD and put the .img file on it all by itself. put some fresh off the charger batteries in and started up. it updated the firmware. i screwed up and ran the patch before i updated the actual kernel image but it still seems to work fine and now I get 1.4.0 reported at boot and in the settings / info.

DaveC posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:30 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 18 2006 at 03:16 AM said:
It's not complete, it's just the kernel by the looks of things. It's the most important piece, though.

Not complete? Well in that case GPL freaks, commence bitching ;)

these guys really shouldn't mess with the linux kernel copyright owners. i dunno what the courts are like where they make these things but it would take very little to get an injunction placed on sales in europe. i'm sure the fact that the code has been provided will end up on slashdot which will mean lots of eyes looking at it to see if its complete. honestly I don't really know what could be proprietary about this hardware to the point that they need to withhold any kinda code.

I just hope that its all there so the pro-kernel hackers start messing with the code. I'm sure they'll find tons of ways to improvements.

Back