Firmware Is Out

iggywig posted on Feb 18 2006 at 02:35 PM said:
just upgraded to 1.4 with success. everything seems to work. anyone else notice the resume movie and the battery monitor in the video section? I'm quite impressed so far!

I just stumbled on to the resume movie function. Pretty sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:
So does the sound match in all the videos now?

If so I can really see this being worth the upgrade.

....although I will loose overclocking....

If you don't want to lose overclocking, then you can upgrade to 1.4, and then use the "gp2xmenu" executable from a previous version. You'll lose the lcd settings/etc in the new version, but it will not try and screw with the settings you apply via the lcd/cpu tweaker.

Ok I broke down and upgraded and it went PERFECT *shudders from first GP2X*

I love the new movie player because first and formost the lips and funs match! Plus I can easily underclock my gp2x for viewing videos, so longer battery life and I can resume play where I left off. Really nice

Also the fact I don't have to tweak the LCD each time is REALLY nice.

Also having a battery light is going to be nice (have not used it yet)

The new picture viewer has a much nicer zoom then the last one, a lot less jagged pixels. Although when scrolling through pics it is a little 'jumpier' but that is do to having the processor clocked down and I can live with that for some extra battery time.

The explore is now useful being that you can now MOVE, COPY and still delete.

Oh and my startup time is 28secs. Does not seem any faster or slower to me.

Megaframe posted on Feb 18 2006 at 05:56 PM said:
Well I updated my firmware from 1.2.0 "factory installed" to 1.4.0.

<snip>

Oh and it still shows 1.2.0 on the splash screen :(

Then you've not correctly updated. You're still running the 1.2.0 kernel.

where is the option for regular and low the consume for video?
Ah to me the led RED when the batteries are empty don't work, in the info i see always 1.0.1 but i see the betters, what i made for patching?
My batteries was full but for twenty minutes i saw the screen PATCHING PLEASE WAIT.
I have push start and the GP2X reset boh i don't understand, some help ?
Good night i go to sleep ^_^.

apparently the battery light is broken, it does something like go on when decoding video. -_-

DARKGATE posted on Feb 18 2006 at 04:45 PM said:
where is the option for regular and low the consume for video?
Ah to me the led RED when the batteries are empty don't work, in the info i see always 1.0.1 but i see the betters, what i made for patching?
My batteries was full but for twenty minutes i saw the screen PATCHING PLEASE WAIT.
I have push start and the GP2X reset boh i don't understand, some help ?
Good night i go to sleep ^_^.

OMG, this is insane! (when will it stop)

Did you put the gp2xkernal.img on your gp2x in the root directory? Then when you booted up did it say "firmware updating"

Oh what no? *starts to freak out and yell how stupid everyone is here*

*big breaths*
I am ok.

Is this going to happen EVERY firmware update we get?

*walks away calm*

Hmm, first time upgrading from 1.0.1 to 1.4

Upgrade took seconds. Patch took a few more.

Screen tweak sorts out the minor scanlines in the menu when using light coloured skins (tux 'n' tosh). Does it well.

Boot time is 32s.

Audio and gameplay in DrDMX is perfect.

SDL_AUDIO with HW_SDL is screwed a bit - playing fast.

Frame rate for HW_SDL has gone through the roof! Very odd. The frame rate has shot up substantially. Perhaps linked to the audio being weird.

I'm pretty pleased all told. Nothing to gripe about really as it all works as expected.

Chimpoid

How can i downclock gp2x on the videoplayer? I read that this is one of the new options but i can't find it...

Blu posted on Feb 19 2006 at 12:17 AM said:
How can i downclock gp2x on the videoplayer? I read that this is one of the new options but i can't find it...

I think when you are selecting the video in the top left corner there is a little icon that says full, normal or save etc. When you press Y it will cycle through these options. I believe that "Save" is the downclock option. Seems that way to me anyway.

I have updated and now have joined the 1.4.0 GP2X'ers, hope all goes well :eek:

DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!

Squidge posted on Feb 18 2006 at 02:55 PM said:
If you don't want to lose overclocking, then you can upgrade to 1.4, and then use the "gp2xmenu" executable from a previous version. You'll lose the lcd settings/etc in the new version, but it will not try and screw with the settings you apply via the lcd/cpu tweaker.

Hmmmm I'll have to consider doing this.

I've already went thru too much trouble just getting my system setup the way it is right now.

I'm still afraid to try to upgrade since, last I head, gp32z is incommunicado, making my warranty somewhat worthless, and I really don't want to risk bricking it to the point that I can't fix it. Too bad, too. I'd like to try dicking around with some of the startup scripts to see if I can't shave some boot time.

triton posted on Feb 17 2006 at 07:43 PM said:
hmm, i dunno ITS A FREAKIN HANDHELD! how long does it take a pda to boot? like a few seconds for most of them right. and you want to sit and wait 20-60+ seconds for what basically a game system, if a full fledged laptop PC can boot in less than 45 seconds why the hell cant this thing? i dont plan on updating untill they can acutally fix shit instead of adding more BS in the vain hope that it makes us forget that we have to wait most of a minute to play! i remember in the begigning they said it would have like a less than 20 second boot. i love my 2x but im startin to get sick of all this stuff, why cant they hurry their ass up and release the source? then we dont have to depend on them to get what we want fixed fixed and its a load off them

My iPAQ hx2700 series (624 MHz) takes 35 seconds to "boot". PDAs, unlike the GP2X, can store their states, so they don't have to boot EVERY time. I'd say 22 seconds on a 200 MHz ARM is pretty damned good.

AireTamStorm posted on Feb 19 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
hmm, i dunno ITS A FREAKIN HANDHELD! how long does it take a pda to boot? like a few seconds for most of them right. and you want to sit and wait 20-60+ seconds for what basically a game system, if a full fledged laptop PC can boot in less than 45 seconds why the hell cant this thing? i dont plan on updating untill they can acutally fix shit instead of adding more BS in the vain hope that it makes us forget that we have to wait most of a minute to play! i remember in the begigning they said it would have like a less than 20 second boot. i love my 2x but im startin to get sick of all this stuff, why cant they hurry their ass up and release the source? then we dont have to depend on them to get what we want fixed fixed and its a load off them

My iPAQ hx2700 series (624 MHz) takes 35 seconds to "boot". PDAs, unlike the GP2X, can store their states, so they don't have to boot EVERY time. I'd say 22 seconds on a 200 MHz ARM is pretty damned good.

not really. i guarantee you'll see a fraction of that for boot up once the hardcore OS/kernel developers get their hands on the full source.

Hohlraum posted on Feb 19 2006 at 09:40 PM said:

not really. i guarantee you'll see a fraction of that for boot up once the hardcore OS/kernel developers get their hands on the full source.
Already done, theoddbot's halved the boot-time for me. 15 seconds, was about 30.

I'm so happy, I'm going to tell everybody!

nickspoon posted on Feb 19 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
Hohlraum posted on Feb 19 2006 at 09:40 PM said:

Already done, theoddbot's halved the boot-time for me. 15 seconds, was about 30.

I'm so happy, I'm going to tell everybody!

there is a loss of functionality though isn't there? for example you cant install things into NAND directly anymore can you? Its a good first step for the curious here is the thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=25894&st=30 Its an amazing accomplishment in the first 2 days though. And proves my point exactly.

Back