Gp2x Have Many Bugs!!!!! :(

Ah, the famous Sony UMD catapult? :rolleyes: Mind the buttons, I hear they had problems with those at launch... And don't commit any crimes with it, that shiny surface is a forensic experts dream...

They have. My O button squeeks when pressing :(

hello ? Battery life ? SD card ? Screen bug ? :p When the PSP was released there was a LOT of whining people because they had "3 little dead pixel" ... this is nothing compared to the GP2X problem. Ok now if everything is only a problem of driver and firmware i appologize but if that was as simple as this why they didn't wait 1 or 2 more week for sell it ..

Okay, I'm one of the early PSP buyers.
And I've never seen such low quality-device.

The O-button squeeks terrible, I have over 10 stuck multicolored pixels in the middle of my screen (and at one place, so they can be seen pretty good!)
The stuck-pixel-fixer don't work.

I couldn't send it back, because it was an imported one.

Problem: This is NOT fixable, whereas all the firmware bugs in the gp2x are fixable.

Last edited:
I think they should of ironed out all the bugs before release, make sure the thing works straight out of the box.
Then the only thing that we would of had to wait for would be some decent emulators.
I think they released it early for one reason only and that is to get it out for the christmas market.
Microsoft did the same thing with there 360, Sony in europe did the same thing with PSP and Apple did with there Nano & iPod Video.
Who know this time next year it might be worth a buy, but right now it is like a lame duck.

OMG I can't believe all these problems now coming up.

I have just cancelled my order, will try and sell my 2GB SD Card to my m8 for his camera.

What a bunch of amatures, gonna pick up a PSP now instead.

damn - this is gonna go on for months...

do your homework noobs - this is not the same as buying from sony...

its like buying a bespoke suit - you have to get a fitting first - 6 months down the line for a select few thousand this little thing will turn into a way of life... just like my beloved gp32

untill then - chill out or go away...

begineth the cull

sPaCe :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery issue does make me giggle, I'm ignoring it all until someone with proper 2000+mAh batteries come along and says 'It only lasts 2hrs' then I maybe concerned.

I bought one of those cheapy SD handheld video cameras on holiday, I had some Sony branded batteries I bought in a Poundland shop (for anyone that isnt from the UK, It's a shop that sells everything for £1) so I paid £1 for about 8 of these batteries, Put 2 of them into this camera and started recording etc 5mins later the batteries are dead! try another pair, 5mins later they are dead too! Use my fully charged 2000mAh ones from my digi cam and 2hrs later it's STILL recording.

In otherwords normal batteries are shit.

The rest of the issues I see as firmware faults and will be fixed ASAP so not fussed at all.

Batman2 said:
Who know this time next year it might be worth a buy, but right now it is like a lame duck.

Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

So far everything I've seen is exactly what I expected, possibly a little better than expected as there are NO hardware faults reported at all.

I'm getting more excited by the day. Better order mine soon :)

No, christmas rush for preorders would be up to first week in December. Knowing my 2X will need new firmware and that it's not perfect at release, I'd STILL preorder, even if I had to spend a bit more time waiting.

And GPH are NOT in this for a couple quick bux, they've been trying to save us money, by not including every bloated feature out there, for a start.

Okay, some more information about why they released it.

GPH didn't think about christmas. Nope.

They once announced they will produce a new handheld.
Then everyone asked "When? When? When?"

GPH said "It should be ready by October". They never said it WILL be ready.

Well, time flew, they were developing, preorders started... the people who preordered wanted the device for their money.
So GPH said "Okay, we'll do it until October 17th!" - knowing this will be quite hard.

Then they delayed it until November, because the firmware was too buggy to release.
Some people cancelled their preorders.

Then they rushed everything, leaving some minor bugs in the firmware.
They couldn't wait any longer, because A LOT OF PEOPLE told them they will cancel their preorder, if they don't get it now!

So, what could they do? GPH is not such a big company as Sony, who doesn't care about a few preorders. Cancelled preorders could mean their death - and we would most probably never see a homebrew handheld again.

In my opinion, abandoning the gp2x because of firmware issues (and they even are only MINOR issues), that can and will be fixed, is the most stupidest thing anyone could do right now.

They basically built what we wanted, accepted suggestions and put these in - now we've got the device, and we KNOW it will rock!

I have... :(

Totally unusable. :(

Because I sold it. :(

Can't use it. :(

Woe is me. :(

My GP2X is also unusable. :(

I can't even put batteries or SD into it, and I can't feel the buttons. :(

Nor can I hear anything. :(

What's a lame duck? I've heard Mr. Bush's second term described as "lame duck"...

Ehehe, Jarska, don't write such stuff - some people here may actually BELIEVE EVERY WORD YOU WRITE...

George W Bush said:

Anyways, yeah, I'm not too worried about firmware problems, flashing things isn't the hard bit.

However, I am a bit worried about possible hardware problems, and whether I'll be able to get a replacement, because everyone knows what happened to the first batch of iPod Nanos. And Apple couldn't care less. Of course, I know it's within my rights to get a full refund or replacement from GBAX, which I will do if there is a serious problem, but still, it could be possible that it would be blamed on me being an early adopter and I wouldn't like that.

Bah. *goes back to waiting by his letter box*

Ehehe, Jarska, don't write such stuff - some people here may actually BELIEVE EVERY WORD YOU WRITE...

But it's true. I have the same problem. But only because I haven't received mine yet :p

I think the firmware problems are blown out of proportion because a lot of people didn't know what they were buying. They basically thought they'd get a PSP with offical homebrew support :rolleyes:

My standpoint is: As long as the hardware is good I'm cool with it. The firmware will be fixed :)

If I recall correctly the gp32 wouldn't last 2 hours with standard batteries.. I only ever used panasonic powermax 3s (concentrated alkaline) until I moved ot rechargables... and my 2000mah lasted much longer than even the powermax 3s.

nohing new there, and i dont see a problem with the lcd.
also most of that is fixable.
no windows 98 support is the fault of windows 98 wich dosnt support usb host, there are some drivers for it anyway, use google.

I'm pretty sure that my win98se has usb mass storage but is not available as default. I think the unofficial service pack has it included, but when I originally put it on it was faulty, but got a patch from the microsoft site. Its probably fixed now in the latest unofficial service pack. :). I had to so this to get slubmans firmware + gpdrive to work, it didn't work under linux for some reason, but I got it to work under 98se with this.

I obviously can't do a test now because it works??

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

O.K. you guys have talked me in to keeping the GP2X, will hope they resolve all the problems soon.

Have emailed www.gbax.com back telling them not to cancel my order :)

As long as I can watch some films on it and play a little MAME & SNES I will be happy.

I hope all you geniuses are gonna be ready to help out when I need it. :lol:

May I just say, "so what" about these problems, they will just make the whole experience more fun as stuff gets fixed and ports get better and better with HH etc...

I was one of the people threatening to cancel my pr-order.
I don't feel responsible in any way for any of the bugs the unit currently has.

Any new technology will have bugs, regardless of how long it is tested.
The USB issues seem to be aimed at Windows 98 & friends -they are notoriously flaky and require the USB updates. Try www.softwarepatch.com, should have a link for that fix.

Battery problems seem to stem from using cheapo batteries - use better as recommended on numerous topics in these very forums.

Am hearing reports of some mysterious white coating on battery terminals - manufacturing boo-boo. Also hear scraping said white substance off fixes problem.

AFAIK there are only two reports of bad video screens - mass production slipups - return for replacement.

Slow bootup times, low available RAM when linux is running, sounds to me like someone at GPH is just starting to learn about linux kernel compiling and has set initrd ramdisk to too high of a cache.

As an early adopter, I am fully aware that the system will arrive with bugs requiring tweaking. GPH could have held back system for another two months testing & tweaking it to satisfaction, and it STILL would have arrived to the end-users buggy.

I'm a little disappointed that there are so many postings inferring that anyone who complained about the long delays CAUSED these bugs.

Still eagerly awaiting delivery :ph34r:

Back