Faster delivery/upgrade - Craig's orders

Just a question about upgrading to a Ghz unit.

(the 1 Ghz thread is closed and they didnt show the price for this option)

Since the price for a new 1Ghz unit is $699, and the preorder price in my case was $330, would I then be able to upgrade my order to 1Ghz unit by paying $369?

I know the upgrade price from old units are $500, but that are used pandoras that cant be sold as new anyway, so I think it would be fair to pay less than $500 for upgrading from an undelivered order.

Just a question about upgrading to a Ghz unit.

(the 1 Ghz thread is closed and they didnt show the price for this option)

Since the price for a new 1Ghz unit is $699, and the preorder price in my case was $330, would I then be able to upgrade my order to 1Ghz unit by paying $369?

I just upgraded my order and I was charged $369.

My English and Deutsch Pandoras, and my N900, run happily and stable at 1GHz under load, using the highest OPP level and a correct kernel.

Are there in fact any confirmed reports of Pandoras which cannot overclock to 1GHz, if it's done right?

Anyway, I would not recommend paying extra for that, you will likely be able to clock up to 1GHz anyway. Perhaps some chips can clock higher to 1.2GHz, you can pay extra for that if you like.

Perhaps 1.2Ghz could be achieved with any random pandora, using OPP 6. My N900 is stable up to 1.15Ghz, with an old Maemo power kernel.

That's an interesting point sswam. Are these chips actually different or are they just guaranteed to run at a higher speed? I was under the impression that they were actually different (and so I guess could overclock nicely too) but it would be cool if someone could clarify. Thanks.

My English and Deutsch Pandoras, and my N900, run happily and stable at 1GHz under load, using the highest OPP level and a correct kernel.

Are there in fact any confirmed reports of Pandoras which cannot overclock to 1GHz, if it's done right?

Anyway, I would not recommend paying extra for that, you will likely be able to clock up to 1GHz anyway. Perhaps some chips can clock higher to 1.2GHz, you can pay extra for that if you like.

Perhaps 1.2Ghz could be achieved with any random pandora, using OPP 6. My N900 is stable up to 1.15Ghz, with an old Maemo power kernel.

hum, what about DSP speed GPU improvement? and what is the consumtion of a 3530 at OPP5 vs a 3730 at OPP3? and the lifetime? the upgrade is really costly but it's not useless at all...

it's 379$ for an unshipped pandora? doesn't seems bad...

Edit: it's not just a CPU speed bump... with both chips at stock chip reports seems to give a 50% speed upgrade and when both chips are overclocked a 30% speed difference still seems to exist according to the first reports

Last edited by a moderator:
My one Pandora does 900Mhz under heavy load but not 1000Mhz. The other happily does 1000, but not 1100. Neither runs above 850Mhz when NEON comes into play, like with PSX emulation. Of course, PSX emulation is about as perfect as it can get, or so I find, so there's no benefit perceived benefit to clocking higher.

The SoC is improved in almost all areas:

CPU is 1Ghz (overclockable)

GPU is now 200MHz instead of 110MHz

RAM is now 512MB instead of 256MB

Memory is clocked at 200MHz instead of 166MHz

CPU L1 cache increased from 16KB/16KB to 32KB/32K

Case is new stronger silver version

And overall, even at the same clock speed, the new one will be faster and use less power - and of course overclock more.

Last edited by a moderator:
And for anyone feeling jealous that they will only get a 700MHz 512MB version, you are getting it cheaper than the 1GHz buyers, even when the new chips are mainstream.

Got my shipping notice for my Pandora (Upgraded First batch - Queue # 81) this morning. I already have one Pandora that is functional but has damaged right button due to evil dogs crazy actions. Looking forward to the memory upgrade and sexy silver case. When I get my new unit, I am going to send this old one back for the upgraded 1 GHz unit.

A lot of the latest units unfortunately have shoulder button issues, related to the new case, I'm fixing them now.

Hey Craig, whilst you're here... any word on how often you're getting units shipped from ED? Seems like you got at least 20 out today which is awesome, would be nice to forcast when we can expect delivery :)

The 1Ghz sales are really helping things get in to top gear now, I'm not too worried about the future anymore, I think things will go well for the rest of the year.

Back