Faster delivery/upgrade - Craig's orders

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "slower"? If I'm hearing you correctly and supposing I'm number X in the queue, unless I pay another GBP70 I have to wait for at least 2X or so new orders to come in before mine will ship? If I don't upgrade and people don't buy enough, my order disappears into the aether?

The production problems couldn't be helped. I understand that. Still, it's hard not to see a similarity to a ransom. "We have your Pandora. If you want to see it alive, send us an additional GBP70."

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "slower"? If I'm hearing you correctly and supposing I'm number X in the queue, unless I pay another GBP70 I have to wait for at least 2X or so new orders to come in before mine will ship?
Pretty much.

If I don't upgrade and people don't buy enough, my order disappears into the aether?
I don't know exactly what would happen to old orders if new ones stopped coming in. Knowing these guys, they would find a way to ship if it meant going hungry. But the good news is, new orders and upgrades are happening. I put an upgrade request in ten days ago, and I haven't had a payment request yet. This makes me think that they are processing quite a few, and I'm in a mini-queue-upgrade-queue (heh). Which seems to be a good sign.

The production problems couldn't be helped. I understand that. Still, it's hard not to see a similarity to a ransom. "We have your Pandora. If you want to see it alive, send us an additional GBP70."
I certainly don't blame anyone for seeing it that way, even if we do know it's not the case.

Fuck yeah, after waiting over 3 years my pandora was sendt from germany today..

Been waiting since 2008 in craig s line, then i ordered one from evildragon few weeks ago and now its on the way :D

I thought this day would never come.. so close now, only a week :)

This diserves a doobi, thnx evildragon a hit for you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to keep the status page on the website up-to-date, so you could check there.

Production spit out a bit over 300 Pandoras so far (100 more are currently being assembled and tested), about 70 have gone to old preorders (more following) and about 180 to new preorders.
On the one hand, I have some disappointment that this means you're probably going to miss the 1000 per month target by a fairly wide margin. That could be my fault though, I've no idea where that 1000 figure came from and I may have simply pulled it out of my posterior.

On the other hand, the fact that production IS actually going on with no halts, even if it is slower than I might have expected it to be, is still an awesome feeling, even by proxy. :D

I'm trying to keep the status page on the website up-to-date, so you could check there.

Production spit out a bit over 300 Pandoras so far (100 more are currently being assembled and tested), about 70 have gone to old preorders (more following) and about 180 to new preorders.
On the one hand, I have some disappointment that this means you're probably going to miss the 1000 per month target by a fairly wide margin. That could be my fault though, I've no idea where that 1000 figure came from and I may have simply pulled it out of my posterior.

On the other hand, the fact that production IS actually going on with no halts, even if it is slower than I might have expected it to be, is still an awesome feeling, even by proxy. :D

Shhhh....

Did you miss (or forget) this post here?

I mentioned they need to tweak the PCBs before we can go fullspeed, they're manually testing each PCB before populating.

This takes a while, as it takes 4 weeks to get new bare PCBs.

The machines can populate 250 PCBs per day, so the 1000 per month are easily achievable, once that last issue has been fully resolved.

Last edited:
I got my shipping notice! Should be in by Monday, luckily I have both Monday and Tuesday off work...

Damn. So close I can feel it.

You said earlier you were number 30 in the upgraded queue. I'm number 32 and have no shipping notice. So close.

I got my shipping notice! Should be in by Monday, luckily I have both Monday and Tuesday off work...
Damn. So close I can feel it. You said earlier you were number 30 in the upgraded queue. I'm number 32 and have no shipping notice. So close.
\

Yeah, Craig wrote that he sent out 36, so I guess 6 of those were older orders or something like that.

On another note, UPS shows that the package is currently in Koeln, Germany... Oh the delicious irony.

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "slower"? If I'm hearing you correctly and supposing I'm number X in the queue, unless I pay another GBP70 I have to wait for at least 2X or so new orders to come in before mine will ship? If I don't upgrade and people don't buy enough, my order disappears into the aether?

Don't worry, if you don't upgrade, you'll get your Pandora anyway. And maybe you'll even be able to get it before the end of the year; But I seriously doubt it.

Congrats! Two days off may not be enough time to appreciate the awesomeness that is the Pandora...

Don't worry, if you don't upgrade, you'll get your Pandora anyway. And maybe you'll even be able to get it before the end of the year; But I seriously doubt it.

It is a conundrum to be sure. I've already put down appx 330 Euros toward my Pandora back in the day. Another ~85 to upgrade would mean spending more (in total) than placing a fresh new order. "In for a penny, in for a pound" may apply here, but I still need to give myself that extra push.

How much sooner would I get it if I upgrade?

It's tough to answer that as we don't know (i) how long you would wait without upgrading or (ii) how many upgrades are being processed. I think it would be safe to say your wait goes from months to weeks.

Have a look through both upgrade threads and see who is receiving units, if/when they upgraded etc. That should give you some idea.

http://boards.openpa...-craigs-orders/ (this thread)

http://boards.openpa...ion-2012-03-06/

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'll hang in there for a while longer then.

Firstly as I don't want to pay more money just to end up in another queue, I'd want instant gratification. (will the original pre order upgraders be put before or behind the new pre pre orderers by the way?)

Secondly as the old Omaps run out the chance of getting a faster one gets increasingly higher and that would make the wait worthwile. I think I remember something like 4000 of the 600Mhz ones being left or so and seeing as I'm in Craig's queue those will certainly have to be sold before my batch1 order gets sent out.

A 1Ghz Omap and the 512MB combined might sway me to upgrade though. If it would be sent as soon as I paid. I could sell that concept to myself. :)

Or think of it this way.. if you're later in the queue, all the issues are going to be worked out making the units in front of you.

Hinge cracks, bulging batteries, purple screens, lazy nubs, sticky shoulder buttons, misaligned touchscreens, etc. All of these and other issues (hardware or software) have been solved already, and the process only gets better over time.

As Gruso said, it's difficult to tell. Maybe you can get it in a week or two if you upgrade instead of two years. Maybe you'll get it in one year instead of one year and a month. Maybe you'll get it in two weeks instead of three...

As Gruso said, it's difficult to tell. Maybe you can get it in a week or two if you upgrade instead of two years. Maybe you'll get it in one year instead of one year and a month. Maybe you'll get it in two weeks instead of three...

Pulling numbers out of thin air doesn't help anyone.

Maybe there's a monster under my bed.

Maybe there's a giant space duck we need to be making sacrifices to.

Back