"estimated" Release Date

Would you rather wait for a completely working pandora or not?

• Yes! I need fully working wifi!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, the updates will do.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

The hardware does all work, but the support for the wifi chip from the manufacturer has not been great, it works but it is hard to set up, there is no easy to use GUI yet.
Common are you for real?

It works, but no GUI.

Possible solution:

• Write a GUI
  • Assign the GUI to somebody else to write
  • Release the Pandora with detaild instructions of how to make it work from the command line, and let somebody else write the GUI

Last edited by a moderator:
The hardware does all work, but the support for the wifi chip from the manufacturer has not been great, it works but it is hard to set up, there is no easy to use GUI yet.
Common are you for real?
It works, but no GUI.

Possible solution:

• Write a GUI
  • Assign the GUI to somebody else to write
  • Release the Pandora with detaild instructions of how to make it work from the command line, and let somebody else write the GUI

Maybe, nobody likes to code GUI's? ^_^ Linux-coders tend to like command lines so the GUI seems to come only at the second place. Good for Linux Pros, bad for the average user (like me).
I really hope I can connect the Pandora to a normal, WPA2 protected and Fritz! Box powered WLan without writing an entire novel into a command line. ^_^

However we do have some much better code from Nokia which should fix this, but if that interface is complete before we ship is the issue.
When you having code from Nokia is that for the GUI or for the wifi chip?

Regards

André

The issue is not lack of a GUI, though that is one problem. The problem with the drivers is getting them to work with the linux kernel. They have a minimal wifi driver, designed to work at a very low-level, without linux, and it works well. However, the linux driver provided by the manufacturer does not work so well.

Also, if you've read many of the posts by any of the software devs, it's pretty clear that those guys are working very, very hard to get this thing ready to go.

Edit: This is simply a careful reading of the above posts by Craigix and EvilDragon.

The updates will do. Anything that stems from software problems will be fixed in time, I'm sure. I'd rather have the hardware now and wait for some software components, than wait for the whole package. And I'm no stranger to the commandline, so lack of GUI doesn't bother me too much when there's a real keyboard on the device. :)

On the homepae they have only crossed off 5 things and there are 7 things left. Hopefully they are just forgetting to cross some of these off or are they able to be completed these things in a month.

No, the updates will do. [ 115 ] ** [90.55%] :D
im glad most people(including me"] voted this.
Imagine the wifi problem wont be easy to resolve...then we would have to wait a month longer![/quote]
Hold your horses mate! Sounds like it's official they will be sending out Pandoras in July, but it's not.

I have absolutely no programming, command line skills or Linux experience, therefor forcing me to learn more about Linux which could be a good thing for me.

On the other hand, having a complete package is also beneficial to those who just want to get started, while not to be forced to learn those things that wouldn't interest them(or don't need).

Either way - I don't mind.

Its not that wifi and its gui will never be available... You can easily update it later on. If you need the wifi gui just don't use wifi the first weeks so those who don't want to use it or those who know how to set it up via commandline can use their Pandora as soon as possible. Delaying because some software is not done would be stupid.
The only delay caused by software I could understand would be related to drivers. Because if a driver is not done yet, don't ship! Its always possible that some hardware doesn't work yet and you can't test it because the drivers are not ready yet neither.
We still haven't seen the internal microphone for example - does that one work already, was it tested?

As soon as the hardware is good to go, they should ship them out.

Can't disagree with that :)

If the hardware is approved, tested, certified (and whatever else is needed) to be 100% working and without issues and if only the software side of things needs work, then you guys should send the Pandoras out. Period.

to be 100% working and without issues and if only the software side of things needs work, then you guys should send the Pandoras out. Period.
And that is the question... will everything be 100%? And then they release the driver... driver v0.1.. What if you have a defective WIFI on board? Is it the driver or is the hardware? Always fun fighting the bugs.
I just had one look into my damn fine crystal balls and I see trouble!

If the hardware is approved, tested, certified (and whatever else is needed"] to be 100% working and without issues and if only the software side of things needs work, then you guys should send the Pandoras out. Period.
And that is the question... will everything be 100%? And then they release the driver... driver v0.1.. What if you have a defective WIFI on board? Is it the driver or is the hardware? Always fun fighting the bugs.
I just had one look into my damn fine crystal balls and I see trouble![/quote]They've already got the Wifi hardware working in some kind of raw mode. If I understand where they're at, it's getting a connection, and data is passing between it and the router, but getting something simple in place to send and receive that data in a sensible way is not so easy. It can only be controlled low level; getting anymore high level requires a better driver.

As far as I understand it, its not the GUI thats needs work its the wireless extensions which the GUI uses to interface with the driver.
The plan is to use an existing GUI.

Back