"estimated" Release Date

Would you rather wait for a completely working pandora or not?

• Yes! I need fully working wifi!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, the updates will do.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

If everything is tested and fully functional, there shouldn't be a problem. Like everyone else I hope to receive one as soon as possible, I just had the impression Craig was telling the crowd what they wanted to hear.
Product should be rock solid when it is shipped. A couple of software updates for the gui is no problem, but batterylife, sound, graphics and wifi should work out of the box or with minor tweaks.

@RX Shorty - if you really think the Freerunner is working fine, you are disqualifying yourself as a trustworthy reseller. It is barely usable as a daily phone, gui is slow as hell with a lot of quirks. That there are people using and praising the phone is because of the openness and not for the functionality, because that sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak to the balance of probabilities, but surely the law of averages says something has to go horribly right soon.
I'm not a lawyer of course, but I do have a suit.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) a lot of things have gone wonderfully right. Most recently, the newest nubs, working exactly as they should in the latest video Craigix posted. Perhaps more prominent examples would be the switch to 256 MB of RAM and the addition of bluetooth at effectively zero cost.
Of course, when things go right, you don't really pay much attention to it. When things go right, it's usually because they've gone exactly as planned; when things go wrong, it's because the plan has failed. A well traveled and direct path is not usually as memorable as the detour off a cliff.

@RX Shorty - if you really think the Freerunner is working fine, you are disqualifying yourself as a trustworthy reseller. It is barely usable as a daily phone, gui is slow as hell with a lot of quirks. That there are people using and praising the phone is because of the openness and not for the functionality, because that sucks.
I am not a Openmoko Reseller, I am glad I a not.
Sadly I own a FR myself, Qtopia/QT Extended works pretty well, but for a daily use it's a no go because of the GSM sadness.
I never said it was usefull for a phone (read, GSM function is not working proper as stated above!)
But Debian runs pretty nice on it.

The system itself is pretty nice, but it misses the keyboard.

So don't say I am disqualifying myself as a trustworthy seller.

it will be alright.
ehm... should I remember you about the needing for >MANUALLY< soldering a capacitor to get the GPS and the SD working properly with no major interferences? (for the very first users). That was an example of not-very-well-tested hardware. They only tested it against a fake GPS signal and not in everyday situations!

But we don't have GPS, so the only thing I might still be scared about is audio interference when I plug my earphones and the pandora is plugged at home with 50Hz AC-DC adapter. (actually my Dell laptop suffers from those interferences... -.-')

it will be alright.
ehm... should I remember you about the needing for >MANUALLY< soldering a capacitor to get the GPS and the SD working properly with no major interferences? (for the very first users). That was an example of not-very-well-tested hardware. They only tested it against a fake GPS signal and not in everyday situations!

But we don't have GPS, so the only thing I might still be scared about is audio interference when I plug my earphones and the pandora is plugged at home with 50Hz AC-DC adapter. (actually my Dell laptop suffers from those interferences... -.-'"]
[/quote]Ahh yes, that problem I didn't have but heard of it indeed.
But I am saying that could run linux/unix on it pretty well.

Then again we have some vids showing us what the Panda does and can. :)

Just wait and see what you will get...

But Debian runs pretty nice on it.
The fact that it runs Debian, doesn't mean anything. If you sell something as a phone it should work as such.
I liked the youtube comparison between the Wiz and Dingoo from Craigix, don't hide anything just show what is good and what is wrong.

I expect the same from my Pandora. It should function as it is sold: with great gaming input, decent battery life, wifi, sound without buzz or echo and good build quality. That is how it was presented, so this is how it should be delivered.

The fact that it runs Debian, doesn't mean anything. If you sell something as a phone it should work as such.
I liked the youtube comparison between the Wiz and Dingoo from Craigix, don't hide anything just show what is good and what is wrong.

I expect the same from my Pandora. It should function as it is sold: with great gaming input, decent battery life, wifi, sound without buzz or echo and good build quality. That is how it was presented, so this is how it should be delivered.
True it should be useable as a phone, that is why I don't use it at the moment, just catching some dust.
But I may asume most people now know that the FR is just not usable for phone usage.
If you leave that behind the FR has a pretty nice hardware for a touchscreen PDA ;)

I agree with the expectations for the Pandora. But I believe that will be just fine :)

strange...people are willing to wait for the pandora to be released, to fix some bugs that can be fixed with software updates... not my choice...
If they are sure the bugs are only software bugs, that's fine. The tricky part is when they are not sure and still release. It is complicated stuff and there are a lot of examples that after launchdate hardware needed to be revised.
I am pretty positive about the openpandora team and that they want to create a great product, but I'm sure it is tempting for them as well to take a risk if the community demands it.
My opinion is that they need to be 100% sure everything is working properly and only then, release the product.

@RX - my last comment about the FR, don't want to hijack this thread with my FR frustrations ;)
The FR was sold as a hardware finished product and was also sold as a working (although basic) phone. They didn't sell it as a pda or a non working buggy phone. That is the problem.

Well I think it is going to work all just fine. Ofcourse they never can be a 100% sure.
:p

The FR is also in my eyes a failure... :(
They needed to release a good working OS first then release the FR...

If they are sure the bugs are only software bugs, that's fine. The tricky part is when they are not sure and still release. It is complicated stuff and there are a lot of examples that after launchdate hardware needed to be revised.
ED just said that the wifi was "working" in that it gets a signal and connects, the problem is getting the OS to recognize the connection in a sane manor.

lets just all hope, that the pandora will be shipped early in July...its already June the 7th, so i hope they can make that date happen.

So many delays and problems....will we finally get our pandora's next month?

lets just all hope, that the pandora will be shipped early in July...its already June the 7th, so i hope they can make that date happen.

So many delays and problems....will we finally get our pandora's next month?
I really DO hope that the July estimate is accurate and there has certainly been ALOT of progress recently. The team considering they all have day jobs have done an awesome job getting this far. But I still feel the need to take the July estimate with a little salt.

I'm going on vacation the third week of July, I really hope I get it by then..

I would rather wait for the wifi to be fully working and make sure we can download applications and updates through wifi out of the box so we won't have to sync it with a computer. This would be a major thing for me because I like how the pandora in theory won't need to be hooked up to another computer and be a self controlled product. There's pluses and minuses to each choice but if you all waited this long you can wait a few more weeks to get the wifi working fully. It probably wouldn't take that long anyways.

I would rather wait for the wifi to be fully working and make sure we can download applications and updates through wifi out of the box so we won't have to sync it with a computer. This would be a major thing for me because I like how the pandora in theory won't need to be hooked up to another computer and be a self controlled product. There's pluses and minuses to each choice but if you all waited this long you can wait a few more weeks to get the wifi working fully. It probably wouldn't take that long anyways.
you gotta be kidding:S i want it because then il have loads of fun on the holidays.
i also like every console to be a kind of computer, that doesnt need a notebook or desktop pc to sync with.
But if we can get the pandora one week earlier, and have no wifi capability for one week...thats really fine by me!

you gotta be kidding:S i want it because then il have loads of fun on the holidays.
i also like every console to be a kind of computer, that doesnt need a notebook or desktop pc to sync with.
But if we can get the pandora one week earlier, and have no wifi capability for one week...thats really fine by me!
True, i guess it would be nice but i have always hated syncing things.

I've "waited this long and can wait just a few more weeks" for over 6 months now, and I'm still without a Pandora. I don't want the software side of things delaying things, period (since, unlike hardware work, software development can be worked on while we all have our Pandoras in hand). How about they ship the Pandoras when things are done hardware-wise, and you just leave your Pandora unopened while waiting for WiFi to be fully functional? If you waited this long, you can wait a few more weeks to get the WiFi working fully. It probably wouldn't take that long anyways ;)

Back