Release DooM 64 EX

There is no such thing in the code. I have to hack it. I'll see if I can build something stable.
[doublepost=1478012704,1478008984][/doublepost]@Magic Sam : here is your pnd (*EDIT* removed, it's on the repo now). Sound is completly disable. Fortunatly, all sound code was just in i_audio.c, so disabling it was not too complicated or long.

Now, what I see is that the game is completly GPU-limited. (it's still uploading...)

You can try to play with some of glshim parameter. the Batch mode doesn't seem to work all the time, so it's disabled (and doesn't seem to gain or loose much anyway).
The following parameter can be changed: fb, mipmap, shrink, batch and nolumalpha

To alter a parameter, create a file in appdata/doom64ex named .parameter (so parameter with leading dot) and put the value inside. For the meaning of each paramter and the different value possibible, just check my github of glshim: https://github.com/ptitSeb/glshim

Last edited:
@ptitSeb : are you sure the URL is correct ? I get an error 404 when trying to download this file...
pandora:/media/Pandora/pandora/menu$ wget http://ptitseb.openpandora.org/doom64ex.pnd
--2016-11-01 16:25:32-- http://ptitseb.openpandora.org/doom64ex.pnd
Resolving ptitseb.openpandora.org... 5.9.50.149
Connecting to ptitseb.openpandora.org|5.9.50.149|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2016-11-01 16:25:33 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Cheers, Magic Sam

The file disapear from the server???? I tested it after completion of the transfert 10 min ago!

@EvilDragon , are you doing some kind of maintenance on the server now? It's behaving strangely for now.
[doublepost=1478018047,1478016591][/doublepost]I have removed some old pnd there, just in case.
Can you try again @Magic Sam ?

@ptitSeb : OK, I finally managed to download the file :p

FPS is exactly the same (10-15 FPS at stock clock, sometimes a bit more) on level 16, while the CPU load is pretty low (~20%) on my Rebirth unit. So yeah, I guess you're right about Doom 64 EX being GPU bound.

I'll play with the various glshim parameters you told me about and report here if I find something interesting.

At least now you know that optimizing Fluidsynth might not be worth the trouble (for DooM 64 EX that is, some other aplications may benefit from an optimized build).

Cheers, Magic Sam

Well, I already have optimised fluidsynth in the previous build. That mean I don't need to optimise it more...

@ptitSeb : I actually meant "optimize further", sorry :p I know you have already put a lot of efforts optimizing Fluidsynth, and I didn't mean to belittle your work.

Cheers, Magic Sam

/me going back to testing all the glshim options ;) (LIBGL_SHRINK looks promising, but one has to find the right value, or the game will look butt ugly...)

EDIT: @ptitSeb : setting the texture filter from linear to nearest in the menu helps A LOT (~+10 FPS).

Last edited:
Doom 64 EX and the source for its accessing fluidsynth is at: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MP2E/kexplus/pandora/src/i_audio.c.
Since polyphony is already set in this code:
Code:
#ifdef PANDORA
    Seq_SetConfig(&doomseq, "synth.polyphony", 160);
It should be possible to add the other parameter value changes to that line, such as decreasing the sample-rate, turning off reverb/chorus (this lowers cpu usage in Windows), periods=2 and period-size=256. These changes :
Code:
"synth.sample-rate", 22050
"synth.reverb.active", "no"
"synth.chorus.active", "no"
"synth.cpu-cores", 1
"audio.periods", 2
"audio.period-size", 256);
The other changes from my other post are recommended at doomworld for standard Doom and also are worthwhile testing since they subjectively improve the sound output in Windows. They apply to the fluidsynth library itself.

Hi all :)

@ptitSeb : I also found yesterday that setting the screen depth to a value closer to the one used by the desktop helps.

Maybe the engine spends a lot of time converting textures resolution back and forth (I think Odamex has the same behaviour).

On the contrary, setting the framerate parameter to "smooth" instead of "capped" lowers the performance.

Cheers, Magic Sam

That tiny red lines are probably caused by the fact textures are NPOT-sized. I think I'll do something about that effect soon.

set it to 1 first. If it doesn't help, then, yeah, 2 will fix it, but the upload of texture will be slower (not sure it upload texture ingame or at load time only)

@Magic Sam : I have updated the build (same link).
I reactivated sound, and updated gl4es (new name for my fork of glshim).

You can try BATCH mode now too (with .batch file), it may help. I played the entire 1st level with it and didn't had any graphical issue (and speed was around 30fps, but I don't have speed issue on my side).

Last edited:
Back