Craigx Twitter Update Cases This Weekend!

I think the devs deserve the first ones more than the rest of us and a few for the press is really not a big deal. I mean how many pandoras are we really talking about here?

Building hype and interest is always a good idea anyways. Probably more so when the pandora is not available. You know, the old want-what-you-can't-have thing.

OMG, hope they finally get shipped, btw i also think that review units should also wait a bit becuase there are "none or near none" units left for sale for at least maybe 6 months?

btw they never answered my question about the silkscreen.

is this being sent with the cases already marked (in china)?
or we wil have to wait more test now for the silkscreen two weeks(tm)?.

also how are they going to print it since real "silkscreen" would be impossible to use on the models showed before?

(srry i went offtopic, but since craigx seems to be answering this thread i hoped it caught his attention)

MonkeyChops said:
Building hype and interest is always a good idea anyways. Probably more so when the pandora is not available. You know, the old want-what-you-can't-have thing.
That's one of the reasons why they should wait before giving them to press!
At least give us a chance to road test them first,
iron out silly bugs,
wont be vapour wear just hard to get hold off. (You gotta remember it's been coming in 2 months for a year now, so they'll still be sceptical even with it in their hands)
They can't deal with the enquiries as it is.
And I could go on, a few weeks for the press to wait can make all the difference to what they get to review.
I understand the eagerness to show it of but the amount of publicity from users will be a lot better than a reviewer saying it'll be nice but it's buggy as it is etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Na-Noo said:
...You gotta remember it's been coming in 2 months for a year now...

lol, I ordered in the first 1/2 hour of pre-orders, the ONLY thing that can make me forget about the wait is a pandora in my hand.

The wait has literally turned my into an obsessive F5 machine.

Forget?! :lol: that's rich!

It's actually more to do with the fact the press won't get the keep them and we need to remove the 'vaporware' myth. It's likely we will use the well tested boards in them - I'd rather not give them to customers.

craigix said:
People in the Dallas area are welcome to come and help us build these as they come off the production line (as long as we get permission), it would speed things up.
Seriously Craig if I get to meet y'all or ED or MWeston I will skip class and drive up to Dallas and be there with y'all. That would be amazing. Please actually look into this, because I'd love the experience of helping out with the Pandoras. Plus you'd save on shipping mine :p I'm in the first couple hours of orders.

craigix said:
It's actually more to do with the fact the press won't get the keep them and we need to remove the 'vaporware' myth. It's likely we will use the well tested boards in them - I'd rather not give them to customers.

I guess proving the doubters and naysayers wrong will be nice for you and the team. Looking forward to the next few weeks "I gotta feelin whoo hoo"

craigix said:

Makes sense. Good way to use the test boards actually.

MonkeyChops said:
I think the devs deserve the first ones more than the rest of us and a few for the press is really not a big deal. I mean how many pandoras are we really talking about here?

I don't disagree about the devs. I do disagree with giving the press some of those first units. To me there is nothing to gain from sending out units to the press before sending them out to us paying customers. What exactly is press coverage going to buy the team at this point? They aren't selling anything right now, so why drum up a lot of demand? To me, it would seem a better idea to wait to send units to the media until closer to the second batch pre-order. They have already locked in support for the first batch, and the best way to keep that support is to start sending units to actual customers. If they decide to send out units to the media before sending them to us, this is what will happen:

Several websites do reviews of the hardware. It's awesome, everything they expected, great reviews, they will complain that it doesn't run crysis, whatever. People who have been following the project through these other sites will get interested, and will think, 'ok, i've been waiting to get in on this, but now that it definitely isn't vaporware, I'll put down the cash.' They will find their way here and see a lot of pissed off customers still waiting to get their first batch units that they paid for over a year ago. A good number of those people will see this and have second thoughts about buying. Another good number will see the boards and realize that they have no chance of buying a unit sometime next year, with a delivery date of next summer at the earliest. That, together with the fact that they haven't shipped to first batch customers yet will turn away another good chunk of potential customers. And of course some minority will be willing to put up with all of this, and hang on and buy one anyways.

This isn't to say that when pre-order time comes around again that they won't have enough interest, but rather that it probably isn't the best way to maximize interest, which is the point here.

An alternate route would be sending it to customers first, and picking a good, strategic time to send units out for review (after all paying customers have received their units). The boards will become a happy place after a majority of us get our unit, and software will evolve. Units for review can wait to be sent out until there is an apparent lull in gadget news, such that the pandora will really be getting the kind of attention that it deserves. Again, it will probably get really good reviews, still doesn't play crysis, again, whatever. eople who have been following the project through these other sites will get interested, and will think, 'ok, i've been waiting to get in on this, but now that it definitely isn't vaporware, I'll put down the cash.' They will find their way here and see a lot of satisfied customers. They will look a little further and see that it will be a while before the second batch ships, but they will also see that OP was able to meet the demands of the first batch customers, even though it took them a long time to do it. They will still lose some people due to the wait, but not nearly as many as they would by rushing the attention.

Also, I paid for one of these things over a year ago, with a delivery promise of 11 months ago (when I ordered). I want it ASAP!

craigix said:
I'm not worried about them being worn out(Have faith in you lot), I'm talking software, yes devs done good job, but its best to let us uncover the kinks. (not saying devs are sloppy or anything either)
It's a bit late to worry about the vaporware myth, that will be gone when all the youtube vids goes up.
I'm not saying wait months, just be bit more patient. Wouldn't be surprise if the devs agree with me, couple weeks wont mean much to press, but it could mean the difference of little annoying bugs being uncovered and squashed.

[edit]
To be fair unlike emil10001 I'm talking about software as I don't think my previous post would convince Craig and I'm not at keyboard to write as good a post as emil10001

RajTakhar said:
#1 GameMaster said:
So if everything is good then all the Pandoras should ship out before Christmas right?

Christmass is a little too optimistic for all units to ship a certain proportion will ship, hopefully a shed load will ship - fingers crossed and no more tweaks needed

Bear in mind
Halloween - The states go crazy for a couple of days
Thanksgiving - Nov 4th to at least 5th another US holiday
Veterans Day - Nov 11th

If that was not bad enough

UK - Postal strikes and christmas

At least we will be okay for chinese holidays and all that
Halloween isnt a big holiday in the usa. Not govt recognized so no effect on work or postage for the most part plus Halloween is over the weekend. Second Thanksgiving is at the end of the month not at the start your days are 20 short. Veterans day is a one day thing so no worries there and besides I doubt the MP cases will even be in Texas by the 11th.

RajTakhar said:
Bear in mind
Halloween - The states go crazy for a couple of days
Do you not have halloween in UK?
RajTakhar said:
Thanksgiving - Nov 4th to at least 5th another US holiday
I can't tell if you're kidding or not. Do you guys really think our Thanksgiving is on the 4th? I mean don't get me wrong I don't even know the names of UK holidays.

Edit: OMG I waited hours to post this so I wouldn't get ninja'd and then adolobe comes along and ninja's me.

Na-Noo said:
craigix said:
I'm not worried about them being worn out(Have faith in you lot), I'm talking software, yes devs done good job, but its best to let us uncover the kinks. (not saying devs are sloppy or anything either)
It's a bit late to worry about the vaporware myth, that will be gone when all the youtube vids goes up.
I'm not saying wait months, just be bit more patient. Wouldn't be surprise if the devs agree with me, couple weeks wont mean much to press, but it could mean the difference of little annoying bugs being uncovered and squashed.

[edit]
To be fair unlike emil10001 I'm talking about software as I don't think my previous post would convince Craig and I'm not at keyboard to write as good a post as emil10001

I wasn't being fair? :p

But really, you make some good points too. The vaporware argument goes away when actual users are posting videos/photos of unboxings, etc. And the fact that after there are 3600+ users, there are bound to be some software issues that get found and fixed.

Also, in response to what craig had said about using test boards to send to the press, I think that's a great idea, but I would still suggest waiting to send those until we have gotten ours. I feel like I stated a fairly good argument against rushing to the press, and I think that it is at least worth some consideration.

We don't need to go look look I told you, to the press. Remember the responses from just the N64 vid.
Imagine couple hundred vids (well a lot anyway)
Then give the press machines, let them say we finally got hold of what's taken the net by storm.
Plus some bloggers/press are pre orderer's so not like we wont be getting any early reviews anyway

[edit] oh I agree with you, my first post was also on same lines, but I got the feeling that after so long he may not be able to stop himself, like us he feels like a vindicated kid wanting to show off his new toy, and I don't blame him for that, trying to stop him let us do it lol. Just trying to buy some time.....

craigix said:

great i would fully agree with that, those burn int test boards are somehow already "used and abused" so
it would be great since they will do perfect (tested for a lot of stuff), plus they are not intensive or long life usage so good one CraigX

atomicthumbs said:
But I wanted to post the first unboxing photos! :p

Me too! My order was in at 10:06am EST.

I'm sorry... but I want mine now. Forget the press. They can get theirs later. Can't you give us faithful people what we deserve first? I mean if you have those first few prototypes lying around then give the "press" those. But please give your customers, who have been waiting for over a year, with $300 missing out of their pocket book a Pandora! :angry:

Please...

I'm half tempted to go down to dallas. (especially if it means I can walk with mine out the door) We're actually literally planning a vacation to Texas during Christmas break... :rolleyes:

Back