The Cases

So how long till people who paid money start getting their Pandoras?

ferg said:
So how long till people who paid money start getting their Pandoras?
On december 31th one customer will probably receive his MK0 pandora, just so OP can say it got released in 2009 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon that mine will make a good Apache web server to run my dev wiki, which means I'll use it until the information super high street is obsolete =P That is of course once I grow up and stop playing retro games.

Closer and closer.
Not worried about the delays if it means getting the device as perfect as they can. I'm going to be using this for an extremely long time and would hate to see it fall apart within a year.

borgqueenx said:
I think il be using my pandora for about a year.
Really? Every handheld I get has a long life, even when it falls out of daily use I still play it. I still play my GPA SP every once in a while. The Pandora will have a longer life for me because of the computer functions so I'm looking at about 4 or 5. If Craig makes the Pandora2 board function in the Pandora one case I'll update it but if not I'll just stick to my Pandora1.

Creature XL said:
jb0yx said:
I tried to repair a laptop once that had a similar problem (very old, very floppy) in the end it just ended up not being worth the effort in repairing the hinges on the lcd. Fastener screws were fine, it was the hinge it's self that was stripped. If it had a "click" at a certain degree in the open possition it would have lasted a lot longer.
Can you define "very old"?

An honest question to all of oyu:
How long do you think you will use your pandora REALLY?
We all think we will use it fro years. However, most are tech geeks. In two years (or earlier even) there will be another device. With another kind of processor. When we get used to the fast-for-mobile but lame-compared-to-desktop-GPUs SGX graphic, we all want more. Face it.

So, if the hinge is dead after two years? I do not care. If there won't be a better device, i will just buy a 2nd Pandora.

And, you can be certain, if that kind of device really has such a big market as we all hope, then there will be competitors. That is really bad for OpenPandora, however, i guess when they start making money with the 2nd batch and there maybe will be a 3rd batch...

has anyone done the calculation? 4000 * 250EURO its 1 million EURO. 1st batch is 0 incoming. however, the following batch COULD make them rich. and take off the costs for material I think it is A LOT of money for 2 or 3 years of hard work. :)

Don't get me wrong. They earn that! But there is no room for pity if there will be a competitor in 2 years.

Still drive a '77 car, carry a palm IIIc pda and give presentations off a dell c640 laptop, not everyone throws stuff in the trash as soon as the shine wears off.

greendots said:
Chinese New year is approaching...

Year of the tiger starts Feb. 14th which gives us... two months.

Creature XL said:
An honest question to all of you:
How long do you think you will use your pandora REALLY?
We all think we will use it fro years. However, most are tech geeks. In two years (or earlier even) there will be another device. With another kind of processor. When we get used to the fast-for-mobile but lame-compared-to-desktop-GPUs SGX graphic, we all want more. Face it.

So, if the hinge is dead after two years? I do not care. If there won't be a better device, i will just buy a 2nd Pandora.

And, you can be certain, if that kind of device really has such a big market as we all hope, then there will be competitors. That is really bad for OpenPandora, however, i guess when they start making money with the 2nd batch and there maybe will be a 3rd batch...

has anyone done the calculation? 4000 * 250EURO its 1 million EURO. 1st batch is 0 incoming. however, the following batch COULD make them rich. and take off the costs for material I think it is A LOT of money for 2 or 3 years of hard work. :)

Don't get me wrong. They earn that! But there is no room for pity if there will be a competitor in 2 years.
The Story of Stuff

Mweston's new pics compare a final Pandora and DS:

Edit: Please do not link directly to MWeston's photobucket account. He has finite bandwidth per month, and if he runs out, we don't get any new pics. Use a free image host instead. - Chip

@Chip. As the first person to link to these on the forum, it was reasonable for me to link to them at the source. To prove where they are from, and also as the accompanying text is always important for context. You've really been bringing the 'My will is law' since you came back to the Pandora board.

Sphinxter said:
greendots said:
Chinese New year is approaching...

Year of the tiger starts Feb. 14th which gives us... two months.
Hmmm, I though the year of the "Panda" was coming. ;)

+1 for the Story of Stuff! My friend and I are trying to do something locally about this problem of rapid consumer electronics obsolescence, so don't worry the Pandora will always have a home. I'll post some of our results/website one day.

fischju2000 said:
Mweston's new pics compare a final Pandora and DS:
Have you noticed that he took the rubber of the screws on the DS?

How f**king awesome do those Pandoras look compared to the DS??!!?

I cant freakin wait to get one :) :)

(Yes you read correctly, TWO smilies)

I'd still like to believe a 2009 delivery is possible but what with western holidays coming up in rapid succession, I'm not holding my breath. Still, it's good to know which problems have been identified and which ones have already been fixed. Any chance of a final final case production decision being made before christmas? If I understood correctly, the boards being finished before christmas shouldn't be a problem?

so the Christmas chances are out the window, but even that's not entirely true the "top" devs are receiving theres in a few days, this will be awesome as technically this will put the last nail in the coffin for the "vapourware" as that actually ran the risk of showing it's ugly head again. Technically the devs that receive them would no different than anybody else receiving them in the eyes of people ho aren't fully in the know. Plus they can dev way more comfortably, and show anyone.

@Pandora/NDS pic
The large screen is gorgeous.
*imagines endless dual nub Quake action*

Back