A More Advanced Roadmap Please

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
OK, cases are green lighted.

For my understandings, the cases are in mass production, but will not be completed this month, thanks to chinese holidays.
But what if all the 4000 cases are shipped to the OP team? What then?
Is it all? assemble all pandora's and ship them?

Or are there more parts awaiting shipping, or mass productions? You already got the 4000 tv cables, 4000 carry cases, 4000 boards, 4000 screens, 4000..............

what can go wrong? a ETA?

A more advanced roadmap would be nice people :)

I think, now that we are a bit more relaxed, we shouldn't build up another hype that will transform to anger because of missed deadlines. Personally I would wait for confirmation that those cases actually ship before CNY and that they are of the expected quality.

What I gather at this point is there are going to be 500 cases produced & shipped to Texass. Cases will meet their boards & other components in the assembly plant. Some will ship within the US, some with ship overseas.

The other 9500 cases are not going to be reality until after the CNY. 4000 is the 1st batch, however, the order is for 10K.

Timeframes: US people in the first 500 might see Pandori by the end of February IMHO
Rest of the world soon thereafter

The other 3500 should start seeing things by mid-late March.

But who the hell knows what could happen?

Ciao,

Link

Can anybody answer?
1. How many cases was ordered and when its expect to come?
2. How many OP developers can assemble per day?

svs-57 said:
Can anybody answer?
1. How many cases was ordered and when its expect to come?
2. How many OP developers can assemble per day?

+ 1 we definitely need some more info here.. The suspense is killing me!

Last edited by a moderator:
500 cases were ordered, they hope to ship from China to Texas on Friday the 12th, arriving in the US sometime next week.

Assembly will be slow to start, especially if there are any issues with hinges & video cables, maybe someone can answer the ? on production per day?

Peace & honey oil,

Link

Just wait and see. Either the silence from the team is good news or bad news. I think it's the first alternative.

borgqueenx said:
ah, enough things that can go wrong :(

Yes so lets list them all and make a fuss when one of them actually goes wrong.

we.gif

Mjlink said:
500 cases were ordered, they hope to ship from China to Texas on Friday the 12th, arriving in the US sometime next week.

Assembly will be slow to start, especially if there are any issues with hinges & video cables, maybe someone can answer the ? on production per day?

Peace & honey oil,

Link
Hey Mjlink, not saying your wrong, but has that been confirmed?
Last I remember was the 500 was due to the perceived issues with the sample cases that was received. I.e. build 500 for people that are willing to take them in that state.
If their happy with everything bare the finish they may revert back to the original plan.

Edit:
Seems has been confirmed here Surprised they didn't just see how many they could produce in the given time frame. 500 seems a bit low all things considered. As in, even the financial cost for the the factory to produce such a small batch.

Na-Noo said:
Mjlink said:

Peace & honey oil,

Link
Hey Mjlink, not saying your wrong, but has that been confirmed?
Last I remember was the 500 was due to the perceived issues with the sample cases that was received. I.e. build 500 for people that are willing to take them in that state.
If their happy with everything bare the finish they may revert back to the original plan.

When they can make 1000 per day, why just make 500 until friday?
I don't get it.

Edit: There are 1000 boards waiting to be put into the cases. Until then they will only cost more storage-fees.

There is a difference between can and will. The chinese factory will be hammered this week by all their customers so I think the amount and timeframe has to be realistic for them.

craigix said:
Well all that is needed is the cases. The boards are sitting populated and ready.

We are pushing them to ship us 500 on friday.

craigix said:
The factory have already been instructed to get on with it, we should hear something today. We don't know if they will manage it, but we hope they will. They have told us pretty much every customer makes this week hell for them.

mcobit said:
Na-Noo said:

I don't get it.

Perhaps the answer lies in what you quoted? Maybe - just maybe - OpenPandora have caught a case of healthy skepticism, and instead of confidently rushing full ahead are treading a little more carefully, and are indeed treating the first 500 cases as a larger samples batch that will be used for MP. but will also be used to judge what (if anything) needs to be changed for the next sub-batch of cases?

Bosbeetle said:
There is a difference between can and will. The chinese factory will be hammered this week by all their customers so I think the amount and timeframe has to be realistic for them.
Considering what you have to go through to do a run I would've thought that would be more reason not to do such a little one.

Monk said:
mcobit said:
Na-Noo said:

I don't get it.

Perhaps the answer lies in what you quoted? Maybe - just maybe - OpenPandora have caught a case of healthy skepticism, and instead of confidently rushing full ahead are treading a little more carefully, and are indeed treating the first 500 cases as a larger samples batch that will be used for MP. but will also be used to judge what (if anything) needs to be changed for the next sub-batch of cases?
This I can understand, but if they where only really concerned with the finish and was willing to do a 500 run with the option for people to change their case later on, I'm just surprised they didn't go for say a 1000 to match the already assembled boards since they have been reassured that the finish wasn't done, etc
Not that I would second guess OP. Was just surprised, by both the factory willing to do such a small run in such a busy week, and for OP not running with it. Guess the 500 is just another sample, but still.

Hasn't it already been established, several times, that the bottleneck in getting the cases to texas isn't actually producing them, but rather packing them up properly? It would be no problem to make the machines spit out all the cases before friday, but then we'd have 4000 gleaming cases sitting in china until after CNY. And we do want them gleaming cases to be properly packed up for the trip, and that takes time.

So, if the number of cases that can actually reasonably be expected to be packed and shipped before friday is 500 or whatever, it makes sense to produce just that amount. That means that we get as many cases as can reasonably be expected, and that Mweston et all can take a long, hard look at the finished mp cases and make sure whether some small parameter needs to be tweaked for the 3500 that is left.

Ne?

Moxie said:
Hasn't it already been established, several times, that the bottleneck in getting the cases to texas isn't actually producing them, but rather packing them up properly? It would be no problem to make the machines spit out all the cases before friday, but then we'd have 4000 gleaming cases sitting in china until after CNY. And we do want them gleaming cases to be properly packed up for the trip, and that takes time.

So, if the number of cases that can actually reasonably be expected to be packed and shipped before friday is 500 or whatever, it makes sense to produce just that amount. That means that we get as many cases as can reasonably be expected, and that Mweston et all can take a long, hard look at the finished mp cases and make sure whether some small parameter needs to be tweaked for the 3500 that is left.

Ne?
That's why I said whatever the factory can produce, sorry meant produce and send. So whatever that figure is. I thought that 500 was due to the last sample cases looking so bad, not based on what could get shipped?
As you've pointed out I would've thought it would have been better to have as many cases as possible in Texas so they can continue to build the Pandora whilst CNY is going on and not have to wait for them to come back to work, produce, package and ship out more.
So are you saying it makes sense to produce whatever they can ship out, which is what you seem to be saying in last paragraph? If so, that was my point sorry.

Spot on Moxie, I'd actually forgotten about that little detail. Here's MWeston's quote:

MWeston said:
The major part of making cases isn't necessarily molding the parts, but carefully packaging up the parts for shipping. Final parts don't get shipped like samples do which is crammed into plastic bags inside one big box. Regardless of how many cases can be made next week, the limitation is on how many can be safely packaged and shipped. That is why Craig wants to pick a reasonable number to ship before the CNY.

What Moxie said. Also, don't forget that we want them to take the time to do proper Quality Control... we don't want that rushed.

True, true, true.. :) I'm beginning to become used to waiting.. I really don't think I'd mind waiting another full month to be honest. I was most concerned about the caase production, but now we have the green light I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. I really hope everything goes well and there are no or little hold ups from now on.

I'd say it's just a matter of time now.

Back