The Cases

The boards will be done before Christmas, there is no delay there.

At least the Chinese don't have christmas in the way of their work.

They are already working on fixing the issues. We expect an update on Saturday.

craigix said:
Michael has been building units and testing everything the last 36 hours, Here are the findings on the cases.

The cases work as cases, from the outside you cannot tell there is anything wrong at all, but as you know we have to live with these for the next 2 years at least, so any issues no matter how small have been noted and the factory know:

The lower part has a tiny bit of shrinkage on the back edge, but we already knew about that and it has been fixed at the factory already.

The LCD cable slot is TIGHT, it needs to be more open to make assembly faster (although it does work in the current form but is fiddly to get though).

The shoulder buttons need a tweak to be perfect (travel distance feels as if it needs to be a fraction more for better feedback).

Plus some shaving here and there internally which the factory told us to expect to be needed.

Apart from the shoulder buttons these issues are on one piece, the lower base.

We are waiting to hear from the factory about how long this will take to fix. We are hoping we can get a batch from them around the 17th.

Frantic times indeed!

Oh and units have started shipping to devs. I'll be making many new videos next week.

i wouldn't mind any of these. just send me the board and the case parts and i'll do the rest.

oh well, i'll wait another month then never mind. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious how long the tweaking will take. Guess about 2 weeks or something like that. Can the OP team give us some insight?
Will this mean all 4000 pandoras will ship desame time or will you order 1000 cases once they are fine?

*sigh* pandora-less christmas #2, at least it's gonna be damn perfect by the time we get it.

Craig, do you think this'll be the last round of tweaks? (ie. has every nit-picky bit been caught) Also, will this require another batch of test cases be sent to MWeston? transit seems to be where a lot of the time has been lost.

Well here is another hold up, but since Ive already spent the money, it wont matter about waiting,as Im use to waiting.

One thing that I have noticed in the videos is that the screen can be moved about ~180° till it snaps in (180° means: screen is on one vertical line with the device body where the keyboard etc is).

I think that most people wont put the screen 180° back when using the device. So why dont you let it snap in for example at 160°?

The problem I see on this (device-)case is that after time passes the hinges of the display may loosens a bit (just a little bit perhaps). Is it possible then that the display wont stay stable anymore where you want (f.e. 160° where no "snap in point" is)?

On the Nintendo DSi (or Lite) the display snaps in at about 160-170°, but can be pushed further if you want, to the "second snap in point" at 180°.

Dont misunderstand me, youve done a nice job, congrats.
Usoppe

But I have to say, too, that I dont want to make a bigger problem than it is.
Notebook displays neither have snap in points and it works good, for most, even when they become older.

Depending where it ships from, I expect to get mine after Christmas (I'm in 700-800 bracket), as shipping from either texas or the UK will be atleast a week.

I don't entirely mind though, the shoulder buttons are going to be pretty important for me personally so a usability tweak like this over rushing and having a flawed first batch is preferable, what's another month ontop of the previous 15 or so? Maybe there'll be some good deals on 16gb-32gb SDHC cards on boxing day.

Usoppe said:
One thing that I have noticed in the videos is that the screen can be moved about ~180° till it snaps in (180° means: screen is on one vertical line with the device body where the keyboard etc is).

I think that most people wont put the screen 180° back when using the device. So why dont you let it snap in for example at 160°?

The problem I see on this (device-)case is that after time passes the hinges of the display may loosens a bit (just a little bit perhaps). Is it possible then that the display wont stay stable anymore where you want (f.e. 160° where no "snap in point" is)?

On the Nintendo DSi (or Lite) the display snaps in at about 160-170°, but can be pushed further if you want, to the "second snap in point" at 180°.

Dont misunderstand me, youve done a nice job, congrats.
Usoppe
It snaps at 170 degrees, just like on the DS. You and I were obviously watching different videos...
(we weren't watching different videos, you were just mistaken :p)

Elanzer said:
Depending where it ships from, I expect to get mine after Christmas (I'm in 700-800 bracket), as shipping from either texas or the UK will be atleast a week.
It looks like you could live in the factory and still expect to get yours after Christmas.

WizardStan said:
It snaps at 170 degrees, just like on the DS. You and I were obviously watching different videos...
(we weren't watching different videos, you were just mistaken :p )
I think I saw what he saw as well. If there was a click it wasn't the kind I was hoping for (think moto droid, now THERE'S a click!) I tried to repair a laptop once that had a similar problem (very old, very floppy) in the end it just ended up not being worth the effort in repairing the hinges on the lcd. Fastener screws were fine, it was the hinge it's self that was stripped. If it had a "click" at a certain degree in the open possition it would have lasted a lot longer.

I would also like a confirmation from MWeston or someone that actually gets a chance to hold one these to confirm this won't be an potential issue. Not just speculation from a youtube video.
Fix it now while they're changeing crap if it has the possibility of wearing out.

EDIT: 170 degrees is almost completely flat back and that would be great for holding it while you're gaming. I think we're talking about is two different end states.... I'm talking about like 90-135 degree area. Normal viewing angle when sitting on your desk/table/lap. In addition to the flat back locking possition.

The DS has two snap points, it's a bit of a concern for me that it only snaps to the full back position like the DS has, while I mostly use the closer position on mine. If the Pandora is too heavy to be played comfortably in the full back position for long periods, it does look as if the hinge is stable enough to hold it as varying angles.

jb0yx said:
I tried to repair a laptop once that had a similar problem (very old, very floppy) in the end it just ended up not being worth the effort in repairing the hinges on the lcd. Fastener screws were fine, it was the hinge it's self that was stripped. If it had a "click" at a certain degree in the open possition it would have lasted a lot longer.
Can you define "very old"?

An honest question to all of oyu:
How long do you think you will use your pandora REALLY?
We all think we will use it fro years. However, most are tech geeks. In two years (or earlier even) there will be another device. With another kind of processor. When we get used to the fast-for-mobile but lame-compared-to-desktop-GPUs SGX graphic, we all want more. Face it.

So, if the hinge is dead after two years? I do not care. If there won't be a better device, i will just buy a 2nd Pandora.

And, you can be certain, if that kind of device really has such a big market as we all hope, then there will be competitors. That is really bad for OpenPandora, however, i guess when they start making money with the 2nd batch and there maybe will be a 3rd batch...

has anyone done the calculation? 4000 * 250EURO its 1 million EURO. 1st batch is 0 incoming. however, the following batch COULD make them rich. and take off the costs for material I think it is A LOT of money for 2 or 3 years of hard work. :)

Don't get me wrong. They earn that! But there is no room for pity if there will be a competitor in 2 years.

jb0yx said:
I think I saw what he saw as well.
On three votes of "opened completely" I looked again, and then compared it to my DS at first lock, and then at second lock and I still think y'all are nuts. It looks the exact same angle as the first lock to me, definitely not a 180 degree full open, at least.

Creature XL said:
jb0yx said:
I tried to repair a laptop once that had a similar problem (very old, very floppy) in the end it just ended up not being worth the effort in repairing the hinges on the lcd. Fastener screws were fine, it was the hinge it's self that was stripped. If it had a "click" at a certain degree in the open possition it would have lasted a lot longer.
Can you define "very old"?
it was about 4 years old at the time and just completely worn down.

I still use my phat psp from 05' area, the pandora is going to replace what I was useing the psp for (emulation). If the pandora continues to function I'll use it till it breaks, then buy something that suits those needs that is smaller/faster/lighter. I would just like to extend that time out as long as possible.

fischju2000 said:
The DS has two snap points, it's a bit of a concern for me that it only snaps to the full back position like the DS has, while I mostly use the closer position on mine. If the Pandora is too heavy to be played comfortably in the full back position for long periods, it does look as if the hinge is stable enough to hold it as varying angles.

I posted about this issue right after the video was posted and you guys are only noticing it now?

Back