The Cases

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Michael has been building units and testing everything the last 36 hours, Here are the findings on the cases.

The cases work as cases, from the outside you cannot tell there is anything wrong at all, but as you know we have to live with these for the next 2 years at least, so any issues no matter how small have been noted and the factory know:

The lower part has a tiny bit of shrinkage on the back edge, but we already knew about that and it has been fixed at the factory already.

The LCD cable slot is TIGHT, it needs to be more open to make assembly faster (although it does work in the current form but is fiddly to get though).

The shoulder buttons need a tweak to be perfect (travel distance feels as if it needs to be a fraction more for better feedback).

Plus some shaving here and there internally which the factory told us to expect to be needed.

Apart from the shoulder buttons these issues are on one piece, the lower base.

We are waiting to hear from the factory about how long this will take to fix. We are hoping we can get a batch from them around the 17th.

Frantic times indeed!

Oh and units have started shipping to devs. I'll be making many new videos next week.

sigh, im leaving on vacation at the end of December, and I still had a little hope that I would have my Pandora by then...
well, at least we have some good news

craigix said:
Oh and units have started shipping to devs. I'll be making many new videos next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Michael has been building units and testing everything the last 36 hours, Here are the findings on the cases.

The cases work as cases, from the outside you cannot tell there is anything wrong at all, but as you know we have to live with these for the next 2 years at least, so any issues no matter how small have been noted and the factory know:

The lower part has a tiny bit of shrinkage on the back edge, but we already knew about that and it has been fixed at the factory already.

The LCD cable slot is TIGHT, it needs to be more open to make assembly faster (although it does work in the current form but is fiddly to get though).

The shoulder buttons need a tweak to be perfect (travel distance feels as if it needs to be a fraction more for better feedback).

Plus some shaving here and there internally which the factory told us to expect to be needed.

Apart from the shoulder buttons these issues are on one piece, the lower base.

We are waiting to hear from the factory about how long this will take to fix. We are hoping we can get a batch from them around the 17th.

Frantic times indeed!

Thanks for the update. These are indeed the final litle stages before our long wait is rewarded. Keep up the good work craig ! :)

craigix said:

Thanks for not rushing, and for doing it the right way, despite from how much we all want to get done with it! And hopefully there's still a good chance on pre-Christmas shipping!

So, does this mean we're going to have to wait for another batch of samples, or will these corrections be small enough that there doesn't need to be further testing? I'm guessing the former though. Such a pity have to wait another week for such tiny tweaks :p

I knew there'd be more delays but at least it looks like after these tweaks it'll be done.
question: can these changes be done at the factory and then the cases mass produced, or do these changes have to be made, then a few samples shipped to mweston again for checking, and THEN mass production?

edit: looks like the guy above me had the same question ;p

Paradox said:
I knew there'd be more delays but at least it looks like after these tweaks it'll be done.
question: can these changes be done at the factory and then the cases mass produced, or do these changes have to be made, then a few samples shipped to mweston again for checking, and THEN mass production?

edit: looks like the guy above me had the same question ;p
And i also have desame question :)

also, whats your defenition of "many"? :D

Thanks for the update, it's very appreciated :)
Good work, good luck and all the best!

One thing the GP2X never had was a good amount of travel on the action buttons, so i'm pleased to hear that the similar problem with the Pandora shoulder buttons is being addressed.

A Positive post in my view B)

Craig, that is great news! Not from the "wanting by christams" stand point, but from the "quality, over quantity" stand point! It's good to see even this close to the end, that the team is willing to wait and get it right the first time, instead of releasing several revisions down the line! My only worry at this point is with the silk screen process(as no one has seen it applied yet?). I've read Michaels post that the factory keeps saying "no problem", but I would hate to see the cases arrive, and that portion isn't up to the rest. I would guess they have said "no problem" in the past, but I'm hopeful! Thanks for the post, hopefully everyone will be content until Christmas week!

Jumpman

Cool. It's bad they're not perfect, but good the issues are being addressed.

Also, I have this really cool idea. It's called not quoting the long post that's at the beginning of the topic that we have all already read.

MDave said:
2009 still on, or out now?

2009 still seems very possible, but the mould factory would have to move with some speed, and get the revisions made, and new test cases sent out ASAP! But based on the factories last 3 months, I would say it will take a miracle to get the Pandora in customers hands by Christams at this point! But tis the season ;)

Jumpman

Back