Can we keep this forum permanently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
roberto.cr said:
I agree on this becoming the official forum, it's better and it's directly linked to the openpandora home.
"gp32x" wtf?
the soon-to-be-huge pandora user base will only want to discuss the pandora anyway!
did people only want to discuss the gp2x after it came out? no, there was still gp32 activity.

Sorry I'm just finding this topic. Frankly, it's horrid that someone chose to DDOS the other forums. I agree, I think both sets of forums are just fine. I'll support both by visiting both. I hope whoever took down the GP2x one gets dealt with. It's unneeded idiocy.

Peter R said:
I dont care about it being official. Suppose there is some big pandora flaw (this is purely theoretical) if I post about it here then Craig or some other Pandora team member can censor it. On a third party site, GP32x, this is not possible.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all week. What do you think craig will do? Make a big sticky saying "Those units aren't actually broken, they're special editions", and ban anyone who disagrees?

PoisonedV said:
roberto.cr said:
I agree on this becoming the official forum, it's better and it's directly linked to the openpandora home.
"gp32x" wtf?
the soon-to-be-huge pandora user base will only want to discuss the pandora anyway!
did people only want to discuss the gp2x after it came out? no, there was still gp32 activity.

I don't know why people insist that the gp2x will die, it's a great console with a big library of games and applications, why would it die? There are people who just want to keep playing with their gp2x, whether it's just because they want to, or because they don't want/can't afford a pandora. The gp2x will not die.

And lastly, one thing I like about this forum, despite being relatively empty and thus some of "the" questions being asked again is that it is specifically aimed at the pandora (I don't know why we have the other sections, seems kind of out of place on the pandora forums...), and having much more categories for it, as well as having more moderators taking care of everything (you're welcome! :D)

I want the old forums back, I don't know who half you people are, and the wealth of information from the gp32/gp2x days should not be wasted, if old devs return to the scene and find it dead they will move on. If they come back and find the pandora as the natural progression they may consider buying one and devving for it. The gp32x forum is the scene that created the pandora. Are we going to abandon it because of some DDOS attacks and a recent speight of n00bs with idiotic questions?

I say hell no...

HELL NO!!!!

Bring back the gp32x forums and return pandora discussion to its rightfull place. This place as nice as it seems is just wrong and should be deleted or merged with gp32x when it returns.

I didnt bother reading the whole thread btw... no use, its like 6 people posting over and over they have mod status here so obviously they want this place to remain.

I still don't see what the problem is with keeping both. Let me make one thing, I am absolutely against wiping out the pandora section of gp32x or even gp32x altogether, I just see no reason for not keeping both

Kyosys said:
I still don't see what the problem is with keeping both. Let me make one thing, I am absolutely against wiping out the pandora section of gp32x or even gp32x altogether, I just see no reason for not keeping both

Because stuff gets discovered on one and then has to be passed onto the other second hand, Why should devs have to post news to two forums, read feedback and bug reports on two forums, it is redundant. The only people wanting both or this one are new people who dont appreciate the pandora's roots and want to turn it into something else and people who were previously un heard of and have mod status all of a sudden. The scene is too small to be split over two forums, others have tried and failed. The only reason this forum has posts is because gp32x is down. If it were still up this forum would be completely dead.

gp32x is the pandora's home, a wretched hive for scum and villany but its home!

This place is too surgical and neat, and it smells of peroxide!!!!

That's not true, I respect gp32x as root of the pandora, and I won't leave it. I just so happen to think that having two would be good. This one would be the official forum, and the other one would be... what it's always been, gp32x.

The advantage of this forum is that it is more focused on the pandora, and this site's staff reflects that. It has more sections and is actually owned and lead by the pandora team. The past few days have shown that the pandora team does not actually have any control over gp32x, so while I am absolutely in favor of keeping it, it'd be nice to have a forum that the pandora people can control, even if it's just a "what if gp32x goes down again" or even a "what if gp32x goes down forever somewhen" sorta situation. By having this forum and the other forum, no information will be unavailable when one goes down, even if one goes down permanently. The amount of information contained in gp32x that we could really use right now is amazing, and having this forum prevents something like this in the future.

Why not get GP32X back for general discussion of everything pandora related, basically how it was, and then tone down this into a a small official pandora support focused forum.

Kyosys said:
That's not true, I respect gp32x as root of the pandora, and I won't leave it. I just so happen to think that having two would be good. This one would be the official forum, and the other one would be... what it's always been, gp32x.

The advantage of this forum is that it is more focused on the pandora, and this site's staff reflects that. It has more sections and is actually owned and lead by the pandora team. The past few days have shown that the pandora team does not actually have any control over gp32x, so while I am absolutely in favor of keeping it, it'd be nice to have a forum that the pandora people can control, even if it's just a "what if gp32x goes down again" or even a "what if gp32x goes down forever somewhen" sorta situation. By having this forum and the other forum, no information will be unavailable when one goes down, even if one goes down permanently. The amount of information contained in gp32x that we could really use right now is amazing, and having this forum prevents something like this in the future.

bs, you just want to stay a mod. :p ;)

icurafu said:
Kyosys said:

bs, I was arguing in favor of this long before I got my modship

Kyosys said:
icurafu said:
Kyosys said:

bs, I was arguing in favor of this long before I got my modship
no, hes right.

icurafu said:
I wasn't being serious by the way. In case it slipped by.
hey man, you had a winking smiley, if anyone cant tell it's their own fault.

Kyosys said:
Look, with 200 odd posts already you obviously have plenty of free time. Sometimes it is difficult reading all/most of the posts on one forum. Not to mention you could find yourself responding to stuff and quoting stuff that was on the other forum.

Imagine three devs. One posts here, one posts on GP32X, the third posts on both. How does that help anyone?
If some of the more knowledgeable members stick on one forum, that forum is going to get better posts. I'm guessing that's going to be GP32X. Certainly if the GP32X forum remains the home of GP2X and GP32, people with those devices are going to stay there.

Now if Hando and co can't get up and running soon, if they want this to be the new home, that's different.

PoisonedV said:
icurafu said:
I wasn't being serious by the way. In case it slipped by.
hey man, you had a winking smiley, if anyone cant tell it's their own fault.
Oh I was well aware that he wasn't serious, but this is how rumors get started...

TaG said:
Kyosys said:
Look, with 200 odd posts already you obviously have plenty of free time. Sometimes it is difficult reading all/most of the posts on one forum. Not to mention you could find yourself responding to stuff and quoting stuff that was on the other forum.

Imagine three devs. One posts here, one posts on GP32X, the third posts on both. How does that help anyone?
If some of the more knowledgeable members stick on one forum, that forum is going to get better posts. I'm guessing that's going to be GP32X. Certainly if the GP32X forum remains the home of GP2X and GP32, people with those devices are going to stay there.

Now if Hando and co can't get up and running soon, if they want this to be the new home, that's different.

I do have plenty of free time... I'm kinda pathetic. Anyway, yeah. I absolutely see your point and I agree with it, but there are other points convincing me to keep this forum (I want to keep it because I'm a mod :D)

No seriously, I'm sure things will work out and either we will lose or keep this forum, but I doubt it will split the community in any way. One or another forum will be the place where most, if not all of the devs will be. That will be the place the development happens on, that does not mean there can't be another place, this forum, discussing the pandora as well. You guys are making the consequences of having two forums sound worse than they will be. Look at the DS homebrew scene. There are multiple forums discussing homebrew, but from what I've seen, the central meeting point is GBATemp.

Think about it this way, you said I have plenty of time, enough to read both forums and that others simply do not. Well I'm sure I'm not the only one with more than enough time to read and post on both forums, and we would just inform the people on the other forums, sorta the way it works in the DS homebrew scene.

It's not _THAT_ important to me, it's something I would really like to happen, but I'd be fine with losing one forum too (if I had to choose - I'd drop this one). We could try having both for a while, and if it just doesn't work, we'll just drop this one. Trying won't hurt...

GBAtemp does have some developers and most news is posted there, but it is mainly support. Interestingly, it looks a like like this forum while the purely dev forums look lik gp32x. See what I'm getting at here? 2 forums can be a good thing. One for product support/newbs wanting to learn and one that doesn't need to be cluttered up by those questions.

I am pretty sure when the old forum is back online most will go back there. Hopefully Hando excepts the gesture by EvilDragon and uses his faster server.

fischju said:
GBAtemp does have some developers and most news is posted there, but it is mainly support. Interestingly, it looks a like like this forum while the purely dev forums look lik gp32x. See what I'm getting at here? 2 forums can be a good thing. One for product support/newbs wanting to learn and one that doesn't need to be cluttered up by those questions.
Do we get to vote who goes where? :wink:

I guess all I am saying is that there was enough anti-Pandora feeling at GP32X that having these forums could increase the divide. There are people there that I would not want to 'lose', and would not want to force a choice.

There are also some people that manage to ask the same question on every vaguely associated thread, never mind across two forums. Do you like repetition? People will choose because it will become tedious and time consuming. When the community grows it may well be worth having two forums with a different 'flavour'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back