Can we keep this forum permanently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
roberto.cr said:
I agree on this becoming the official forum, it's better and it's directly linked to the openpandora home.
"gp32x" wtf?
the soon-to-be-huge pandora user base will only want to discuss the pandora anyway!

I would like to be able to discuss both the GP2X and the Pandora, seeing as I have both, and so do a large portion of the Pandora's userbase.

roberto.cr said:
gp32x has served its purpose.
I think the pandora is big enough to have its own forum now, so I totally support this forum as the official.

That doesn't make sense. What was GP32X's purpose, if what you say is true?

atomicthumbs said:
roberto.cr said:
I agree on this becoming the official forum, it's better and it's directly linked to the openpandora home.
"gp32x" wtf?
the soon-to-be-huge pandora user base will only want to discuss the pandora anyway!

I would like to be able to discuss both the GP2X and the Pandora, seeing as I have both, and so do a large portion of the Pandora's userbase.

roberto.cr said:
gp32x has served its purpose.
I think the pandora is big enough to have its own forum now, so I totally support this forum as the official.

That doesn't make sense. What was GP32X's purpose, if what you say is true?
I agree. Smiting gp32x or it's pandora forums is the worst possible solution

My biggest problem with the gp32 forum is its speed and downtime. This forum is really snappy, in fact the fastest of a couple of forums I regularly visit.
Of course this forum has to prove itself over a longer period of time.
IMO keep both and see who "wins"

bob said:
My biggest problem with the gp32 forum is its speed and downtime. This forum is really snappy, in fact the fastest of a couple of forums I regularly visit.
The forum is relatively new and empty, that might just change. Also, gp32x won't die, neither will it's pandora section. This is really not a matter of "gp32x or this" but a "gp32x or gp32x and this"

Kyosys said:
bob said:
The forum is relatively new and empty, that might just change. Also, gp32x won't die, neither will it's pandora section. This is really not a matter of "gp32x or this" but a "gp32x or gp32x and this"

Evildragon offered to host the board to Hando and said his server was fast. I'm sure he didn't tell that without reason. Right now there are not much more visitors at gp32 than here and sometimes I can't even connect because of time-outs.
Pretty sure the openpadora forum is hosted on a faster server with a bigger bandwidth.

That said I don't want to see gp32 off-line. Just like to see a fast forum, don't really care if that is this or gp32. And it is always nice to have a back-up server/site so keep them both alive is a good idea.

I personally think having two forums is a bad idea. Here's what I would like to see:

*Move GP32X over to Ed's server.
*Restructure GP32X Giving GP32, GP2X, Wiz and Pandora their own separate sections.
*Import posts from this forum into GP32X.
*Close this forum, or if it has to stay open restructure it so that it doesn't compete with GP32X but offers something else, such as fault reporting to the OpenPandora team, it might make it easier for them to have this kind of information in a separate place.

If there are two forums offering the same thing, then you are definitely going to split the community and you're going to get rivalry. Searching for information and answers is going to be twice as hard as you're going to have to search two forums. For dev's it's going to get annoying as to keep up we're going to have to post on two forums, and keep an eye on two forums in case questions need answering.

This forum was nice to tide us over through all the hassle, but please don't split the community when there's absolutely no need. After all Hando has done for us over the years, don't turn you back on him now. If it wasn't for the GP32X forums, we wouldn't be here today, and I bet the Pandora wouldn't even exist!

Or maybe make this board a dev board and the other a 'general purpose' board...

WarmFluffyUK said:
I personally think having two forums is a bad idea. Here's what I would like to see:

*Restructure GP32X Giving GP32, GP2X, Wiz and Pandora their own separate sections.
*Close this forum, or if it has to stay open restructure it so that it doesn't compete with GP32X but offers something else, such as fault reporting to the OpenPandora team, it might make it easier for them to have this kind of information in a separate place.

If there are two forums offering the same thing, then you are definitely going to split the community and you're going to get rivalry. Searching for information and answers is going to be twice as hard as you're going to have to search two forums. For dev's it's going to get annoying as to keep up we're going to have to post on two forums, and keep an eye on two forums in case questions need answering.

This forum was nice to tide us over through all the hassle, but please don't split the community when there's absolutely no need. After all Hando has done for us over the years, don't turn you back on him now. If it wasn't for the GP32X forums, we wouldn't be here today, and I bet the Pandora wouldn't even exist!

Hando has always been a great guy, but lets face it he is becoming a tad slow lately ;)
But you're probably right, hope Hando accepts the generous offer of ED.

shadow.8 said:
That will cause exactly what I said in my previous post, a split in devs between systems. Some people dev on more than one system. I write Fenix games and they can run on 3 systems, so I for one would prefer it all in one place.

WarmFluffyUK said:
shadow.8 said:
That will cause exactly what I said in my previous post, a split in devs between systems. Some people dev on more than one system. I write Fenix games and they can run on 3 systems, so I for one would prefer it all in one place.

Thats a good point, I guess I don't think like a developer... :confused: It seems to me that there should be one solid place to get information and to discuss things. I personally don't want any kind of rift between the community, thats the point of a community.

I don't mind which forum we end up using but for heavens sake lets make a decision soon and stick to it. IMHO it's incredibly stupid to split the community when there is no need or desire to do so.

Loon said:
I don't mind which forum we end up using but for heavens sake lets make a decision soon and stick to it. IMHO it's incredibly stupid to split the community when there is no need or desire to do so.
I think it's already been decided that GP32X will be hosted here and posts from this forum are likely to be merged into GP32X.

well i'm very new to this scene, just got my preorder in.

As everyone is saying, its better to have all things together, in one central place.

Someone important just make a decision and do it, sooner the better

WarmFluffyUK said:

I completely agree with this post.

Okay I think that having one forum is agreed, and is already in motion.

Posts here will eventually me merged with GP32X. What we are doing with accounts has not yet been decided as if we simply move you all over we will have a bunch of duplicate accounts. it will not be fair to tell everyone to renew who have joined during the interim.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Okay I think that having one forum is agreed, and is already in motion.

Posts here will eventually me merged with GP32X. What we are doing with accounts has not yet been decided as if we simply move you all over we will have a bunch of duplicate accounts. it will not be fair to tell everyone to renew who have joined during the interim.
We could set up a system where people pick if they already have an account on GP32X
if they do, they have to enter it here, verify it from their account at gp32x and then the accounts will be merged

If they do not, their account will be moved over, if the name already exists an "imported_" will be stuck in front of it, and they get to pick a new username

Wouldn't it be easiest just to lock this forum into read only mode for reference purposes and tell everyone to go to gp32x and leave it at that?

Are all the posts here REALLY that important? It's only a few weeks worth. Most arguments pop up again as fresh threads after a while anyway and it's not like anyone ever seems to use the search function properly. XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back