Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm glad to see that this issue got a response.

Hando, I'm more than happy to donate to this site. Why should you handle all the costs alone? That's not much of a community effort, is it?

I don't read or speak Polish very well, but I sent a paypal donation to hando@gp32x.de. I hope it comes through okay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much, Hando!

The apostrophes can be fixed by enabling Rich Text when I post, but the links are still broken for those who don't use Firefox (I do, but I don't really want to install a script).

'PoisonedV' said:
'x68000' said:
Hando, you are the Godfather round these parts, and when Chip went behind the Godfathers back, it was always gonna get messy!

Let us know what kind of costs are involved in maintaining this site, so we can make sure that we have you financially covered for the foreseeable future.

Hando already excused chip (for the time being), leave it alone

It's not like you to back away from confrontation PoisonedV!

I just find it dispicable the way it was dealt with, without the backing of the majority of the mods and the many forum members of this site.

EDIT: It's great to see this whole debacle has brought out some of our most respected members! Hando, Sensi, Rico etc! It's like when you go to a funeral and see all those relatives you never see for years until a crisis occurs!

Sensi is spot on though, we really did need a kick up the backside. This site means too much to too many people for it to just go up in smoke.

It was never my intention to "go around" anybody.

I had sent three emails to both of Hando's listed email addresses since the latest bugs hit asking if there was anything we could do to help. After three months of no answers and no posts on the board, I asked Craig if he or ED had heard anything. When he said that nobody has heard from Hando in quite a while, I became concerned that the board was completely without administration. I proposed moving everything over to the openpandora.org board before this one went down for good, but with support for more platforms and with a less Pandora-speciffic domain name. Craig said go for it, so I did.

It is unfortunate that it turned into a clusterfuck of this magnitude, but if that is what it took to get Hando back on board, then it was worth it.

Things will be fixed!

That's great. Would've been a shame to give up this community.

Chip said:
It is unfortunate that it turned into a clusterfuck of this magnitude, but if that is what it took to get Hando back on board, then it was worth it.

I have to agree. I'm just glad that it ended well.

But Chip, for next time, please keep in mind that neither Craig nor ED speak for this whole community, so if Craig says "go for it", it doesn't necessarily mean that you should. It may not have been your intention, but you did "go around" the other moderators, as this was obviously a surprise to them.

Anyway, a big thanks to StreaK for getting through to Hando!

What a joke. Chip, this isn't the end. Anyone who ISNT a sheep now sees your true colors. You won't stop till you take over as head of the interweb, will you? Well, I'm not a blind sheep!

im-watching-you-focker.jpg

Calm down dcgm :) It's only an forum :lol:

Imagine the whole place disappeared and OpenXile was the number one forum. You and your rebel mates would have won but just remember this
starwarsbwfotografc3ada.jpg

OpenXile WILL be the number 1 forum. Know why? Look at the name. It's an EXILE for those who are not sheep!

In all seriousness, oX isn't supposed to be a gay clubby forum. We're all working to make it very respectable.

'daclassicgamingmaster' said:
OpenXile WILL be the number 1 forum. Know why? Look at the name. It's an EXILE for those who are not sheep!

In all seriousness, oX isn't supposed to be a gay clubby forum. We're all working to make it very respectable.
I looked at the name and it sounds great!. Good luck with it. I will sign up once I'm told to by Chip.

This may not belong in this topic but kinda relates to raising funds and perhaps making this place even more interesting. (May have been suggested before?)

A V.I.P. forum for donating members only.

I frequent a forum that has a private board which you can only gain access to by donating some money.

This is how it could work; Five levels of subscription

Forum Supporter - minimum donation to get access - say $15

Bronze Supporter - $25

Silver Suporter - $50

Gold Supporter - $75

Platinum Supporter - $100

Once the paypal payment has been processed your forum membership will automatically be upgraded to the appropriate level. The entire process is automatic and your account will be upgraded instantaneously. subscription lasts 1 year. (I don't know how they do the nitty gritty but I'm sure someone round here will).

Perks of membership?!

- Obviously access To The V.I.P. Members Only Forums

- A special Forum Plaque, a bit like the XTeam plaque, that says whatever level membership you have and is the colour of your level of membership i.e.. bronze, silver, gold, platinum colours, basic forum supporter in white.

- other perks could perhaps include the following; ability to totally customise your profile page, increased file size and dimensions of your avatar, other stuff, embedding of videos. I'm sure more can be thought up. More perks depending on level of membership.

OK content of the V.I.P. zone?

Hmmmm this is where it could all fall apart. The forum I frequent is fitness related, the sub boards of the V.I.P forum includes a private media gallery, Private journals, a "lounge" and something called "The Wasteland" one big long continuous thread, a lot of great humour, subject changes from one post to the next, anything goes content, (within reason and within the forums' terms and conditions) a new Wasteland thread is created at the start of each new year, the admin puts up a list of the top ten Wasteland posters at the end of each year, whoever has made the most posts in that thread is the winner for that year.

Strikes me as a great alternitive for the "The Discussion Cube" or "Slipzone"

The whole point to this, is to raise funds and give incentive to donate, and with the creation of a Wasteland type area of the forum keep other areas of the forum a bit more on-topic. What it should not be is somewhere for people to just take there shit out on each other, harmless banter, and mock flaming yes. I would suggest though no religion or politics (imo perhaps that should be a rule for the rest of the board as well)

so what does every one think? I definitely think we need something to make this community a bit more dynamic. (Mod if you don't consider this post relevent to this topic please move to it's own thread in suggestions, ta.)

That might just segregate us, kinda what we don't want. We'll have the old timers donating, and acting all up and that. Another flaw.

a lot of great humour

I might donate. Then what will happen, we start classing penis jokes as great humour? I say we just donate, maybe a name colour change, or something, to make you stand out, [EDIT: DISREGARD THAT] but I don't like the whole VIP forum idea.

Just my opinion though, so, most likely the opposite of the rest of the community..

Oh dear, ok, well perhaps some people here just aren't ready for that level of coolness. Seriously it's worked great, there is no segregation. People will still share info in the respected platform boards, so its not like people are going just stop posting, It's certainly not a secret little club, if you want to join, you donate, remember - your money goes to making this place sustainable.

Haha did you edit your post after you saw PV's? ;)

'bazt' said:
Oh dear, ok, well perhaps some people here just aren't ready for that level of coolness. Seriously it's worked great, there is no segregation. People will still share info in the respected platform boards, so its not like people are going just stop posting, It's certainly not a secret little club, if you want to join, you donate, remember - your money goes to making this place sustainable.

He's my love slave, I told him he must do it or I wouldn't let him pleasure me
anyway, I'll donate specifically so that gp32x DOESN'T turn into a korean mmorpg

'bazt' said:

Aha, not quite, not quite.

EDIT: What he said.

EDIT2: Explain the Korean MMORPG thing.. are we talking about the free to play, pay to get the good shit idea?

EDIT2: Explain the Korean MMORPG thing.. are we talking about the free to play, pay to get the good shit idea?

Yeah I didn't get that bit either.

That's a great idea..you know, for people with invisionfree forums that discuss how great nintendo and dragonball Z and harry potter are.

GLOWING MEMBER TITLE FOR 5 DOLLARS, YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back