New Open-source Forum

Cew27

hey guys im not sure how this forum is about me posting about another website, but seing as it isnt a competitor site i assume its ok.
i made a forum a while ago with the intention to create a friendly linux community (not arrogent like other forums who flame n00bs) at the moment it is in somewhat of a functioning beta. the theme needs tweeking (currently the arch bbs theme that was given to me, i plan to alter the colour scheme to change from the arch colours.) the logo is getting re-done and its partner site fosspedia needs starting really.
what i need are members to join and chat, ask about problems with linux and help others with problems.
i am also making toe forum not to dictate but to let its users decide what is is. there is an ideas section to let users comment on how they wish the forum to change.

i am also in need of a partner/superior mod to help me run the forum. no web design knowlage is needed but it is preffered.
i have already payed for hosting/domains and will continue to myself.

if you are interested in helping me please email me at Ciaran27 [at] googlemail [dot] com
and if you wish to join go to www.fossforums.com

Cew27 said:
hey guys im not sure how this forum is about me posting about another website, but seing as it isnt a competitor site i assume its ok.
It's also in the correct forum, so no need to move it :)

Not joined yet, but I'll keep an eye on it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So how is this different to linuxquestions.org besides not being well established?

i hope its going to be a more friendly layed back forum that still helps people as best as it can but isnt so uptight about having fun in the appropriate sections, also it isnt just about linux is foss in general

So basically it has absolutely no community, nothing to offer, and the person running it isn't even a skilled linux user. I hope your derivative content-free website crashes and burns like the thousands that have preceded it.

Cew27 said:
i hope its going to be a more friendly layed back forum that still helps people as best as it can but isnt so uptight about having fun in the appropriate sections, also it isnt just about linux is foss in general
Yep, sounds exactly like linuxquestions.org.

ha, off course it has no community, forums dont start with hundreds of members. and everything starts somewhere.....

Orkie said:
Cew27 said:
Yep, sounds exactly like linuxquestions.org.

if you dont want to join then dont join if you prefer linuxquestions.org then go there but i intend to make a forum run by the users for the users (sorru for the clieche (sp))

Rico said:
So basically it has absolutely no community, nothing to offer, and the person running it isn't even a skilled linux user. I hope your derivative content-free website crashes and burns like the thousands that have preceded it.
almost forgot to add this, what makes you think i know nothing about linux? do you know me? i am rather new to linux (used it for well over a year) but i dont consider myself a linux n00b.
its these snide comments i wish to keep out of forums as although you may not know it a forum can deter people from a product. i am getting a pandora regardless of what people on here say before i wasnt so intent and if i didnt like the community it made me strive away fromt the product.

Cew27 said:
i intend to make a forum run by the users for the users (sorru for the clieche (sp))
As opposed to??

if someone doesnt like say the colour scheme, i would make a poll or a vote and whatever wins would be chosen.

Because someone making a website that turns out to be insignifigant will blow a hole in space time, right Orkie? :rolleyes:

May well do, may well do. However, any more of this kind of thing on GP32x will drive me clinically insane :p.

I must say, there has been a fair number of people opening forums with the same kind of comments. They stay open for between a day and a month.

You have to ask yourself, "What can my forum do that another already popular forum does not?". What will make people visit your forum instead of gp32x or linuxquestions?

i agree that most other forums have a software project to back however i do not develop software (well) but if there were any new apps out there that needed a forum i would happily accomodate them and run the forum for them saving them hassle and time that they could be spending developing an application.

Back