Can we keep this forum permanently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TaG said:
benjiro said:
Also, the Pandora crew have no control over the gp32x forums as we see now.
Nor were GamePark or GPH in control of the community forum at GP32X.

Right. I think the real deal behind GP32X is that its community is superior to any other's. GP2X has official forums, and yet GP32X is the dominant place to get support.

These forums going to hurt the existing community already in place. Unless there are any long-term reasons I haven't seen yet (and being official isn't one of them - GP32X proves being "official" doesn't have any bearing on how effective the community is) I'm still against these forums.

I might add that I will use these forums instead of GP32X if that's what craigix decides. I'm not that stubborn. ;)

TaG said:
Would the GP32X mods mind moderating here? Is it just a case of ED or someone setting them up?
I think the current situation is, if any moderator from GP32X wants to moderate, they can.

I think the fact that gp32x is successful even though there are gp2x forums proves that we should keep these forums. People aren't going to leave gp32x for this, it would just make there be more places available to talk about the pandora.

If we take this as the official forum, the gp32x pandora section won't die out magically. Many members in the pandora section are there for other sections as well, and I, for one, would gladly use both.

It's not about splitting the community, this isn't a religion, you don't have to choose between two. You can simply go to both. If someone, for some reason, doesn't feel comfortable going here or to gp32x, they will have an alternative, and this forum also has the advantage of being completely controlled by the P-Team, so in case something like this happens again, no temporary forum will have to be set up as one already exists, this one.

It also looks better to have your own forum for support and such. The P-Team being admins here and being in charge of who becomes mod and who becomes whatever is another advantage. They can modify the forum in any way to have it just they way they want/need it.

Kyosys said:
It's not about splitting the community, this isn't a religion, you don't have to choose between two. You can simply go to both. If someone, for some reason, doesn't feel comfortable going here or to gp32x, they will have an alternative, and this forum also has the advantage of being completely controlled by the P-Team, so in case something like this happens again, no temporary forum will have to be set up as one already exists, this one.

Browsing two forums would be a major pain. Searching through two forums, then trying to decide which one has the most knowledgeable people, would be a major pain. Double-posting (in which a thread gets duplicated across the two forums) would be, you guessed it, a major pain, especially to anyone browsing both.

Having one central location is efficient and convenient.

Kyosys said:
It also looks better to have your own forum for support and such. The P-Team being admins here and being in charge of who becomes mod and who becomes whatever is another advantage. They can modify the forum in any way to have it just they way they want/need it.

I'll admit, it does look better. That is one positive that I can't argue. :p

Heh, funny. I actually like the looks of gp32x better :D

Anyway, I guess it depends on personal preference. I have a lot of time on my hands so I always appreciate another place I can post/lurk on. The spread of information is a valid point, though I doubt it would be a problem.
After all, we have a pandora wiki that will provide all the information you need, and that's independent from both of the boards. Not to mention that if information appears on one board, it will most likely also appear on the other, if it's worth mentioning, that is.

WarmFluffyUK said:
GP32X forums are down because of a DDOS attack. Please lets not turn our backs when they need us most.
seriously?

look at all those new forums added. looks like these are permanent.

I still don't see how just using both is turning our backs on them.

So it was a DDOS? Like, a targeted attack? I figured it was just slashdot...

WarmFluffyUK said:
PoisonedV said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
GP32X forums are down because of a DDOS attack. Please lets not turn our backs when they need us most.
seriously?
Yep, seriously. I just got an email off Hando. The forums will be back up as soon as the ISP kills the attack.
i dont see any reasoning behind that, maybe the host is just misconstruing massive am mounts of traffic as a DDOS?

I really hope Gp32X comes back online. There are a wealth of posts there which cannot be recreated since they go back to the GP32 era!
From a personal PoV I have bookmarks to specific posts, that have useful dev information, etc.

And yikes... hope they sort it soon.

Nice forum, speed is fantastic and it looks great. Would be nice to have the old forum back though, for reference.

PoisonedV said:
i dont see any reasoning behind that, maybe the host is just misconstruing massive am mounts of traffic as a DDOS?
Would be a nice idea, but the fact a person, or persons have taken it on themselves to attack the forum. No worries as it is being taken care of and they will be blocked very soon.

More news soon as I get it,
Clare.

WarmFluffyUK said:
PoisonedV said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
seriously?
Yep, seriously. I just got an email off Hando. The forums will be back up as soon as the ISP kills the attack.
Thank you for the report!

That's pretty sad if it's true about the DDOS attack, though. Who would want to do such a thing?

One thing I noticed: the GP32X forums still worked fine when it was on the front page of Digg. But once it was posted on Slashdot, they crashed very quickly (within the hour).

Is Slashdot's audience that much bigger than Digg's, or can we assume that the person who started the DDOS attack is a Slashdot reader? :ph34r:

I would think he was pretty un tech savvy to attack a board not mainly focused on the pandora than the place people could buy one if he wanted to hurt pandora sales.

I would say that seeing it on slashdot is not a good reason to attack a forum for anyone.

So I doubt this attack is slashdot or digg related

javaJake said:
Kyosys said:
Browsing two forums would be a major pain. Searching through two forums, then trying to decide which one has the most knowledgeable people, would be a major pain. Double-posting (in which a thread gets duplicated across the two forums) would be, you guessed it, a major pain, especially to anyone browsing both.

Having one central location is efficient and convenient.
Kyosys said:
I'll admit, it does look better. That is one positive that I can't argue. :p
I agree with javaJake. The thought of spending time reading through almost identical posts, where some people would ask dumb questions in various threads across two forums. Uegh! Not everybody has the time or inclination to search two forums. Those that are anti-Pandora would possibly not come here. A simple solution could be if Hando lets ED be an admin (especially it it moves to ED's server).
bob said:
Nice forum, speed is fantastic and it looks great. Would be nice to have the old forum back though, for reference.
I should hope it is fast - there are relatively few users and a very small database at the moment. There aren't multiple users searching etc as the content isn't there. It is also on a new server, which ED has offered to let Hando use to host GP32X which would also even it up.

WarmFluffyUK said:
PoisonedV said:
Would be a nice idea, but the fact a person, or persons have taken it on themselves to attack the forum. No worries as it is being taken care of and they will be blocked very soon.

More news soon as I get it,
Clare.
Thanks for updating us. It seems amazing that anybody would want to take out the forum, but I guess that was the main focus of communication. Perhaps it was easier to attack than the official Pandora sites.

Anyway, hope the admins can get it sorted.

Kyosys said:
I would say that seeing it on slashdot is not a good reason to attack a forum for anyone.

So I doubt this attack is slashdot or digg related

I suspect Quasist. He's anti-pandora enough, and certainly dumb enough to think that a DDOS attack on gp32x.de would hinder pandora sales :p

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyosys said:
quasist doesn't hate gp32x, just the pandora
so he should be happy that gp32x is now starting to become seperate with the pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back