Bringing the case and PCB together

About the 2 vertical shoulder buttons, I'm wondering if ED checked how they felt when the lid is opened? Because with the lid opened, your fingers don't have much space to sit between both fingers. I'm wondering what's the plan to press both of them at the same time when you need it for certain games

Love to see the redesigned shoulder buttons, reminds me of the GBA ones, which are great to press and comfortable (and the Pandora ones aren't) imo.

The new keyboard design also looks promising, keep it up! :)

OT: How did you manage to export a png from FreeCAD?

Greets

I'm also preparing some Pyra merchandise. T-Shirts, the logo as pendant for a chain, etc.

If you got any other ideas for merchandise, let me know.

I will sell them at the DragonBox shop, and of course they'll also help financing the Pyra.
You could offer inexpensive short stacks of business cards with your logo, links and some tentative Pyra information. Interested people can purchase from your shop then hand them out to whomever they want: coworkers, trade show attendees, wherever they may be on the globe. 

I'm also preparing some Pyra merchandise. T-Shirts, the logo as pendant for a chain, etc.

I will sell them at the DragonBox shop, and of course they'll also help financing the Pyra.
You could offer inexpensive short stacks of business cards with your logo, links and some tentative Pyra information. Interested people can purchase from your shop then hand them out to whomever they want: coworkers, trade show attendees, wherever they may be on the globe.
It would probably be easier for people to print these out themselves as needed.

It would probably be easier for people to print these out themselves as needed.
I disagree. Self-printed cards look terrible, have perforations around the edges, and are are usually a pain to get aligned just right.

These shoulder buttons need to be very good to convince me.

They have some real strange form now.

I'm curious how the ones we have now will feel.

Overall, it looks pretty good already. :)

I still find the logo not to big, however, the edges could be a bit sharper like the original, if that's possible.

The shoulder buttons work fine physically, but I want to change the design to be more comfortable and easier to use.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20140705_021343.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140705_021448.jpg

The lower buttons should go around the corner and and have a small slide where you can rest your fingers in.

The upper buttons should have a small (smooth) lip which should make it easier to feel and press them.

I've made some small models using FreeCAD how I can imagine them and sent them to the designers.

It's pretty ugly, but it's just meant to be a small dummy to show the way I'd like to have them - the designers job will be to make them look and feel good (... and I've never done any CAD before ;) )
Did I missed something? I thought that you agreed that vertical shoulder buttons don't work and you have choosen a horizontal solution. At least for my hands I see no chance to reach the upper button with opened hinge comfortably... :/ At least they are not straight above each other, the little shifting seems to be a clever idea.

Mostly flat, but probably slightly curved inward (similar to laptop keys) so you can feel them better.
The gaming buttons should be curved outwards like the old ones, makes it easier to slide from button to button. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would advice you to make the part with the red circle a bit longer (more into the case).

It's pretty close now.

Might add a little more stability and there won't be the risk of a little gap.

Just 1-2 mm would be enough to make it look better to me.

Pyra shoulder button.png

Pyras keymat will consist of a transparent silicone with black plastic keys glued on top.

The plastic keys will be produced with they're own mold, so they can freely be designed to be similar to laptop keys
That sounds like it could be possible for users to buy the silicone mat and the key tops separately from you for them to glue together in whatever layout they want.
On top of that, could the silicone part have two separate supports for the space key so someone could glue two separate key tops on top of them? (edit: given that I'm pretty sure you mentioned the PCB already is planned to have two separately usable pads for space)

Pyras keymat will consist of a transparent silicone with black plastic keys glued on top.

The plastic keys will be produced with they're own mold, so they can freely be designed to be similar to laptop keys
That sounds like it could be possible for users to buy the silicone mat and the key tops separately from you for them to glue together in whatever layout they want.

On top of that, could the silicone part have two separate supports for the space key so someone could glue two separate key tops on top of them? (edit: given that I'm pretty sure you mentioned the PCB already is planned to have two separately usable pads for space)
I doubt we will glue the Keymat.

It will come in one piece, the gluing will be done by the manufacturer I think.

I doubt we will glue the Keymat.

It will come in one piece, the gluing will be done by the manufacturer I think.
That's why I expect too, but I also expect the manufacturer to sell you some sets of parts unglued if you ask for it which you could sell on. Needs to be checked like the rest.Would just be really nice if possible.

Did I missed something? I thought that you agreed that vertical shoulder buttons don't work and you have choosen a horizontal solution
In one of the last couple updates he mentioned that the company had come up with a way to have them horizontal that they were proud of and ED agreed to get a sample done up to see how it felt. Presumably this is that sample and it is working well enough that he just wants some tweaks.If the lower button does end up extending around the corner then it seems to me it'd be the best of both: you could click the "lower" with your knuckle and the "upper" with finger tips, as if they were horizontal.

The question that remains is if the upper button can be pressed with modestly fat fingers without accidentally pressing the bottom one too. Does anyone know how big ED's fingers are?

4. The Battery

Well, I'm still waiting for the new sample from China (why is it that these companies always need months to send out a sample...?), but I'll receive another battery next week from a different company.

Same size as Pandoras one, but 1cm thick... ouch. Will probably be too thick for us to use, but I've decided to send it to the designers anyways. Maybe it can be made to fit somehow with thinner plastic or the battery cover integrated into the battery.

I'll let you know as soon as I've got any news.
Any idea about the future of Pandora batteries? I don't think I'll need a replacement for at least a year or two (I last charged it in mid-March and it still has 50% left, absolutely amazing), I'm just curious.

Back