How Long Does It Take One Pandora To Be Assembled?

djcpe

Still Fresh
Hello all and Happy New Year.

I once remember seeing a video of either Ed or Craig assembling a prototype Pandora. I realize there are some forum members that constantly get pissed that people post stupid topics and state, "is it really necessary to start a new topic?" or "do a google search" or "plain lazy, ridiculous" . I do apologize as I am sort of a nube here but I do admire the OpenPandora Team as much as you experts do.

With my waiver above stated, I have a simple question. How long does a single Pandora take to fully assemble into a working/shipping unit?

Again I apologize as I do understand that just about every topic under the sun has probably been discussed on the long and eagerly awaited Pandora.

I am so looking forward to the Pandora and cannot wait to get mine as I'm sure you all are too.

Take care all. Patience is appreciated with my post.

djcpe
"Dan"

I know I am curious as well. The manufacturing doesn't take place in a factory, does it? I would assume that each team member gets supplies to build a few hundred, and then they are sent to people according to their queue number, but I could be mistaken. Nevertheless, I would also like to know how long it takes for one to construct a Pandora.

That completely depends on what you're asking. Do you mean completely from scratch and a board is printed, the components picked and placed onto it, the firmware loaded onto it, then fit into the case and included with all the additional bits and then tested. Or just a pre-populated board put into the shell.

Even then it's a question of whether it's just a one off, or whether many chinese factory workers will be doing this on a production line. Do you also want the time taken to ship the various parts required back and forth across the world?

chickendung said:
I know I am curious as well. The manufacturing doesn't take place in a factory, does it? I would assume that each team member gets supplies to build a few hundred, and then they are sent to people according to their queue number, but I could be mistaken. Nevertheless, I would also like to know how long it takes for one to construct a Pandora.

chris_r said:
Even then it's a question of whether it's just a one off, or whether many chinese factory workers will be doing this on a production line. Do you also want the time taken to ship the various parts required back and forth across the world?
The chinese factory is just making the plastics. Another one made the PCBs. Everything is shipped to a factory in Texas where the boards are populated and the cases are assembled. This is apparently a service the factory is offering to OpenPandora, the assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
chris_r said:
That completely depends on what you're asking. Do you mean completely from scratch and a board is printed, the components picked and placed onto it, the firmware loaded onto it, then fit into the case and included with all the additional bits and then tested. Or just a pre-populated board put into the shell.

Good point. To be more specific, I was wondering how long all the parts, once shipped to Texas, take to put together to make a complete Pandora unit? This should include actually putting the Pandora in its box for shipping.

I think any estimations are a bit pointless because, be honest now, how many estimations have been even remotely accurate so far? May as well just use a random number generator.

At first probably 10-20 mins. But once you get good at it maybe like 5 minutes. Just like masturbating.

Phawx said:
At first probably 10-20 mins. But once you get good at it maybe like 5 minutes. Just like masturbating.
I would say at first 5-10 mins and once you get good at it maybe 30 sec; there are only max 10 or so parts. And, no.

Phawx said:
I guess it's all in the automated muscle routine
I was once working at some place on extra car parts, where I spent 8 hours straight sawing, filing and drilling holes in metal pieces. The process eventually became so automated I could close my eyes and have 5 minute powernaps while working. (although the result wasn't so good)

dflemstr said:
Phawx said:
I would say at first 5-10 mins and once you get good at it maybe 30 sec; there are only max 10 or so parts. And, no.

Do you even have any fun? 30 Seconds is pretty quick.

I'd guess conservatively at around 60mins or less. Obviously this'll speed up once the assemblers get used to the unit, but I don't think it'll take too long.

This Pandora assembling video might help. :)

dflemstr said:
rmm21 said:
This Pandora assembling video might help. :)
ED isn't really in a hurry in that video, and he failed with the display cable, so it can't really be used as an example.

It's not an exact representation, but it gives a general idea of what is needed to make one from scratch. In a factory with several workers used to putting them together, the process shouldn't take long at all.

Assembly starts around the three minute mark.

Watched the video, it can't take longer than 3 minutes considering how he was explaining everything and it took like 6.

That's good. Sounds like assembly won't be a factor in the eagerness of waiting for our Pandoras then. Thank you all for the responses!

well if IIRC, someone said they would run 800 by day(or week?) if all the stuff is at hand. and they would ship weekly.

The Pandora is complex to build but works great on an assembly line.

4 people will be able to churn them out quickly, they will obviously get faster as they go.

If they take 3 min to assemble, that's 20 per hour. Working 8 hours that's 160 Pandoras per day. 4 people then 640 per day or 3200 per week. To make 2000 units per week they have exactly 4 min and 48 sec per Pandora, if all 4 work exactly 8 hours per day which is highly unlikely. If assembly takes 4 min and they manage to work for 7 hours then that's still 420 Pandoras per day.

Basically that translates into all 4000 units assembled in about 2 weeks. If they can work without delays.

Awakening said:
If they take 3 min to assemble, that's 20 per hour. Working 8 hours that's 160 Pandoras per day. 4 people then 640 per day or 3200 per week. To make 2000 units per week they have exactly 4 min and 48 sec per Pandora, if all 4 work exactly 8 hours per day which is highly unlikely. If assembly takes 4 min and they manage to work for 7 hours then that's still 420 Pandoras per day.

Basically that translates into all 4000 units assembled in about 2 weeks. If they can work without delays.

Or, you know, they could have more people assemble them :p

Back