Release First Images Of Cnced Pandora

I'm glad the silence has broken from the great land of the N.
?
Will this (MWeston clear piped) complete Pandora prototype be the one used for FCC/CE testing purposes?

Once the keymat works with this case, will the keymat then go into production?

Look forward to that bomb! (can I type that in an airport?)

Peace

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
'j.pickens' said:
Just a suggestion for the video.
Turn off the autofocus and auto brightness control.
Set them manually, and you should get some good clear video.
Run a video out to a monitor to verify your focus.

Good luck!

And make sure if the video gets uploaded to Youtube to encode it so it'll be shown in HD quality. (see sig ;) )

'Eniko' said:
'j.pickens' said:

Good luck!
And make sure if the video gets uploaded to Youtube to encode it so it'll be shown in HD quality. (see sig ;) )
Nice guide, does that always work?

'MWeston' said:
Sorry everyone, Fatih emailed me this morning to tell me the cases are being shipped to me today so I will be lucky to get them next Monday, perhaps Tuesday. The delay was waiting for clear light pipes to arrive so it could all ship at once to me. They didn't follow my instructions and made them solid white the first time. I wanted the complete package to do the tests right and completely. I also have no shortage of work this week so it isn't like I am twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to arrive. :)

When I do get everything I will try hard to do up the demo right since I agree it might be an important milestone. I will have to get some proper video editing software or send video chunks to Craig for editing. A big part of the challenge is getting software devs to add the internal game support to their work even though it isn't as easy or enjoyable for them to test it on their own. Playing the Quake games with the nubs and shoulder buttons would be a dream come true for me!
and just in time for St Paddys

Next week is going to be all about the case pictures from MWeston and just as high profile ish the work being done by the original NullDC developers in producing a half-decent Sega Dreamcast emulator for the Pandora.

What week it should be - can't wait

'RajTakhar' said:
Next week is going to be all about the case pictures from MWeston and just as high profile ish the work being done by the original NullDC developers in producing a half-decent Sega Dreamcast emulator for the Pandora.

What week it should be - can't wait
Pictures? You mean vids! But indeed , last week was an awesome pandora week and next week will be even better. Btw again: The case looks really awesome and high quality (I expected that) and the screen is way bigger than I thought (it looked really small on the mockup and EDs vids.

'kin' said:
Lol I admin I like the white colour. Would be great to have non-painted pandora cases for us artists..
I believe admin = admit?

The white color is the cnc material and white is better for stress testing the case. The final version will not be painted, it will be black plastic. Thought many have wondered if they could get a custom case (and I expect they would like to make any profits they can, so might consider alternate case colors), but certainly not in the first batch. More likely an after sale accessory some time in the future (if it happens). E.g. you buy an alternate case replacement, not a pandora ready made in the alternate case... same as you can do with the other portables.

Remember though, even if you had a white one and you painted it, you could very well add enough material to the keyboard holes to render the keymap unusable.

Did anyone notice that the back of the top lid, actually looked thinner in some of the pictures on the blog

http://www.pandoratr.com/images/gallery/prototype/main.jpg

I kind of think this was done to produce an Apple Laptop effect - with the backlight LCD used to highlight the Pandora logo

At least that why I think it looked lighter - either that of Faith has a dodgy digital camera

I kind of hope on the production unit we get something like this - I mean a shiny black case - but when the lid is lifted and you flick the Pandora on - the backlight emits and the back of the top case has Pandora logo Glowing

Anyone see what I'm seeing or have I just been at my PC for too long?

I see what you are saying too, RajTakhar. It looks like there is a small square's worth of space that is thinner than the rest. This can either be for what you are talking about with the backlight showing through or it may be used for some part of the lcd controller (or antenna?), where more space is needed in that one area than the rest.

'RajTakhar' said:
Did anyone notice that the back of the top lid, actually looked thinner in some of the pictures on the blog

I kind of think this was done to produce an Apple Laptop effect - with the backlight LCD used to highlight the Pandora logo

At least that why I think it looked lighter - either that of Faith has a dodgy digital camera

I kind of hope on the production unit we get something like this - I mean a shiny black case - but when the lid is lifted and you flick the Pandora on - the backlight emits and the back of the top case has Pandora logo Glowing

Isn't the final unit going to be black?

'quartercast' said:
'RajTakhar' said:

Isn't the final unit going to be black?

Aye, it is.

(naw)mcx posted on Mar 15 2009 at 06:22 PM said:
Aye, it is.
Doesn't mean you can't have some kind of apple-esque thin lit-up plastic logo on the back. In fact, the black plastic would make such a logo even easier to spot.
I doubt that's what's going to happen, however. The LCD probably comes with some kind of reflective backing for the back light or something: to get it to shine through would require extra work. But we shall see.

'WizardStan' said:
(naw)mcx posted on Mar 15 2009 at 06:22 PM said:
Aye, it is.
Doesn't mean you can't have some kind of apple-esque thin lit-up plastic logo on the back. In fact, the black plastic would make such a logo even easier to spot.
I doubt that's what's going to happen, however. The LCD probably comes with some kind of reflective backing for the back light or something: to get it to shine through would require extra work. But we shall see.
You're making me cream at all of the modding I'm going to be doing to this baby.

That recession is for the LCD connector and speaker wire solder points. That's where the flex cable from the LCD connects to the flex cable that goes through the hinge.

I did place unpopulated components (two resistors, one FET and one LED on the cable so someone could add an LED that is connected to a GPIO on the OMAP chip (no PWM control unfortunately). It is right in the middle of the Pandora logo on the back. Not that this would be an easy mod though.... :)

That extra GPIO on the lid could also be a mod for an extra button too. This little addition was added quite a while ago due to some discussions I read here on the forum.

'Username' said:
'Eniko' said:
'j.pickens' said:

Good luck!
Nice guide, does that always work?
Hasn't failed me yet.

Nope, now I am told it ships tomorrow and one set of ABXY and dpad parts is missing. Good times :)

The good news is that Pickle is working on making the internal buttons and analog nubs work in Quakes so this should help the timing match up better between finished code and the delivery of parts. I would expect to see something next weekend based on delivery estimations and depending on Pickle's success with the code.

Back