Release Assembled Pandora Video

mfk said:
Wasn't this video NDA? :D
Craig thought it looked too sloppy being held together with tape and wanted to wait for the "good" videos to post anything. I convinced him otherwise :)

The video without the tape and with the unit running will be great, but this at least gives people something to watch between now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on this important milestone in the pandora project! Very nice design change with the battery cover. Now you have me wondering if a few goldcaps would be sufficient to keep the pandora powered during a battery change.

Chip said:
mfk said:
Craig thought it looked too sloppy being held together with tape and wanted to wait for the "good" videos to post anything. I convinced him otherwise :)

IMO that was a good call Chip.
I really can't see this taking any of the excitement away from seeing the first full unit working and it should go a long way to easing some of the tension on the boards.
Cheers

Well done guys, this is really a nice achievement, and definitely bodes well for us Pandora-fanboix out here in the wild world looking forward to the day when we can have this little beauty in our hands!

I was a bit surprised at how 'fat' the LCD lid seems to be .. its got a bit of junk in the trunk, so to speak .. but I'm sure this will be easy to overlook once I get some code running on the thing and can be playing my games on it, live.

Really looking forward to the *next* step now, which is .. I guess .. a fully assembled prototype with games running on it? Then it'll be "sit and wait for the nice delivery lady to show up with a fat package for Daddy", heh heh ..

Just wanted to say: well done on all your perseverance and hard work, through thick and thin! With things progressing this far now, I really think 2009 is going to see the Pandora box open and all sorts of goodies spew out .. I for one will be lapping it up like its manna from the gods .. because it is! :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Chip said:
mfk said:

IMO that was a good call Chip.
I really can't see this taking any of the excitement away from seeing the first full unit working and it should go a long way to easing some of the tension on the boards.
Cheers

+1

I really hope the final case with the hardened buttons does give them more height, because the way it looks now, it's like you have to push into the system to press a button. and not only could that be a hinderance to normal function but also risk damage to the innards if you're always putting more force into the keypad to push them down far enough.

MWeston said:
Anyone notice you don't need a screwdriver to get at the battery anymore? It slides and clicks now so access is simple. :)
Yup. Mentioned that to wifey as an example of OP paying attention to their users.

MWeston said:
Anyone notice you don't need a screwdriver to get at the battery anymore? It slides and clicks now so access is simple. :)
How good is the battery cover held in Place? Stable enough to not get lost or opened by itself or when you stick the Unit in your pocket?

Chip said:
pawprints said:
MWeston (or anyone), can the screen go back so the screen and keyboard are aligned so the device is flat like a DS can go.
Yes. We're using the exact same hinge as in the DS.

:eek: :blink: Uh oh... THAT hinge?:
http://images.google.de/images?q=broken%20...sa=N&tab=wi

This looks very good. Impressively sized battery, and a design to make room for it. Good stuff.

MWeston, the battery does have a proper built-in protection circuit, right?

IMO its too thick :-||

(please bash me now, because I expressed my own opinion)

Crasherball said:

I would never bash someone for expressing their opinion. However, I'd be tempted to roll my eyes at someone who had been here for six months, made around a hundred posts in the Pandora forum, and not known until now how thick it was.

Gruso said:
Crasherball said:

I would never bash someone for expressing their opinion. However, I'd be tempted to roll my eyes at someone who had been here for six months, made around a hundred posts in the Pandora forum, and not known until now how thick it was.

Additionally, by trying to pre-emptively stop people from actually bashing you with a sarcastic, insulting comment towards them, you juts invited even more 'bashing'. Also, it's the prototype, and the developers once said that they made it thicker because the material wasn't as strong as the real case would be. I'm not sure if that still holds true, also what Gruso said.

Crasherball said:

Erm ok :-|| *bash* Do you like anything about it?

Wooh! It's looking awesome now! I bet, once those special fully-finished and working units are done, the people who were like "Oh no i am going to cancel because I expected it to be done straight away" will be regretting cancelling thier orders.

For the really first time in my life I realize how much HUGE is the battery compared to everything else. (Take as an example any handheld on the markerplace) This is why we are getting 10 hours I think :)

Back