Anybody considering picking up an Oculus Rift..?

I would guess you have relativly large hands :)

Correct!  ^_^

I even had no issues with the original (western) XBox 1 (not ONE XD ) Controller, you know, the big one. :D  However, after that, all following Controllers were designed smaller, to fit better in the hands.  I can't imagine that the current XBox Controllers are still to big for adult people but for myself, PSX Controllers were always to small and the design notthat great imho. I never could stand the separate 4 button D-Pad for example.

Oh, I also found the Dreamcast Controller pretty comfortable, at least compared to it's bulky appearence. This controller was better than it looked.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118246586&postcount=177

somebody noticed the Carbon team holding a rather unique looking (as in not currently being used on other systems) controller from the acquisition press release photo, and someone on the Oculus subreddit decided to make a render of what they think this prototype might look like in more detail.
3yDjcKy.jpg

Looks like a good start - your hand gets tracked in VR space, you can feel something you pick up (a gun, say). This, of course, is only a render based on a brief glimpse - I can't see the game buttons there being useable at all, but the trigger and analog stick yes!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118246586&postcount=177

somebody noticed the Carbon team holding a rather unique looking (as in not currently being used on other systems) controller from the acquisition press release photo, and someone on the Oculus subreddit decided to make a render of what they think this prototype might look like in more detail.
3yDjcKy.jpg

Looks like a good start - your hand gets tracked in VR space, you can feel something you pick up (a gun, say). This, of course, is only a render based on a brief glimpse - I can't see the game buttons there being useable at all, but the trigger and analog stick yes!
I aggree regarding the buttons, these should just be additional triggers for the other fingers.

They've only just announced DK2 shipping is to start, but before it does they've weeded out 'large numbers' of preorders that they believe were intended for resale - all in China, for now:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-04-oculus-halts-dev-kit-shipments-to-china

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/4/5870577/oculus-rift-dev-kit-sals-suspended-in-china-due-to-extreme-reseller

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/04/oculus-rift-suspends-sales-to-china-because-of-extreme-reselling/

All suspected preorders cancelled - and China is now removed from the order site.

I wonder if this bumps some of the rest of us up the list.... though I suspect they must have known for some time and did nothing until now to avoid giving the resellers an opportunity to try again.

I still don't see the point why everyone hypes that Oculus VR so much.

I tried one (ok, it was the 720p dev kit).

It was Ok.

Using my head for camera.

Nice once, maybe for some usage.

I still can't see why that should be so special.

Don't see why I would want to play any random game in a first person Oculus mod.

Even if a lot people say the Wii U Gampad is a failure I say that's how I like to play.

With the Nintendo DS Series I got used to the second screen so much.

Map, inventory, extra features that miss some buttons.

No problem for the touchscreen.

I want to sit down and have some nice gaming.

Hopefully that Virtual reality thing will not become mainstream but fail as Kinect did.

There are so many ways to improve gaming.

Why has it to be VR?

All it does is it encourages devs to make even more first person shooter and mod 3rd person games to first person.

I definitely don't need that.

Booooo hissss.

I want vr to succeed, and not for first person shooters. I dont even like FPS.

Vr is the future...

Edit: it boggles my mind when people are unable to grasp all that will be possible with vr.

Seriously.

^ +1 to Askarus' and -1 to Faeminx's.  I've never had the urge to finish a first-person game.  I always like to see my entire self in action not just my hand or my foot.  I got bored the first 10min for any first-person game I've played.

I still can't see why that should be so special.
VR has been called "the final platform". It becomes possible to simulate any experience. You can play a retro game on a virtual TV screen as if it were a real TV that you were playing on, complete with raster lines and surrounded by cheesy 80s style furniture. You can go to a virtual theater to watch a movie that has been out for decades. You can walk through a foreign city to familiarize yourself with it before going there for real. The possibilities are literally limitless. There's no new paradigm, everything that comes after this will just be improvements on the technology.
Don't see why I would want to play any random game in a first person Oculus mod
You wouldn't. No one would. That's not the point.

All it does is it encourages devs to make even more first person shooter and mod 3rd person games to first person.
Actually, one of the things that keeps coming up in Oculus dev talk, is that traditional FPS games are not universally suitable candidates for VR, though they are an obvious one (Half Life 2 in VR is almost a religious experience for some). A first person view in sim-style games (Elite, Flight Sims etc) is where it really makes the most sense, expect fewer shooters and more 'adventure experience' games to come.

It's not all first person either - one of the most popular VR game reveals of E3 was 'Lucky'sTale', which is your basic 3rd person platformer - but in VR this becomes a sort of living cartoon world:

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/oculus-luckys-tale/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ftJUrhmemLY?feature=oembed

Strategy games would look great this way - you and this enormous toy world to play with.

Games are only one use though, usefully drawing early interest and hype, my main interest is in 360 degree imagery - which I think will be huge.

I still don't see the point why everyone hypes that Oculus VR so much.

I tried one (ok, it was the 720p dev kit).

It was Ok.

Don't see why I would want to play any random game in a first person Oculus mod.

I definitely don't need that.
I think what most people (and this goes from the average guy to hardcore gamers, to game journalist, to executives) get wrong with new methods of expanding a gameing experience is that these new technologies are universal. Beeing it the Wiimote, Kinect, the WiiU Gamepad or now VR-System most people seemed to believe/expect that this is the "new way" and every genre would be compatible with it.As WizardStan and Asmo already mentioned, there are a lot of usecases (altough some seem to only make sense in a faaaar future), but I don't think that some years down the road everybody will wear such a helmet in order to play a game.

I would like it to play Games in 3D and have a really big screen.

Head tracking?

Don't need it.

Want to use the analog sticks.

As I tried it it was much too slow for me.

If I had an option to make it twice as fast as I move my head it might be better.

Actually, one of the things that keeps coming up in Oculus dev talk, is that traditional FPS games are not universally suitable candidates for VR, though they are an obvious one (Half Life 2 in VR is almost a religious experience for some). A first person view in sim-style games (Elite, Flight Sims etc) is where it really makes the most sense, expect fewer shooters and more 'adventure experience' games to come.
It's not all first person either - one of the most popular VR game reveals of E3 was 'Lucky'sTale', which is your basic 3rd person platformer - but in VR this becomes a sort of living cartoon world:

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/oculus-luckys-tale/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ftJUrhmemLY?feature=oembed
Why would I want to play this game with an awful big headset?

For me the mobile gaming is a lot more interesting.

Playing this on a (device like) Pyra would make me a lot more excited.

Putting more and more in a handheld device, even more than we did, is what is the real big thing I think.

Portable gaming with a dock for home gaming.

Compared to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Play on the 3Ds on the go and on the Wii U at home.

Simply with one device or external Dock.

But this?

I didn't wear it for long but I think it might be quite heavy after some time.

And don't think I'm against new technology.

I'm hyper excited because of the Augmented Reality (Google glass like).

That's what the future to me.

Imagine a headset which has a high quality semi transparent screen with great visibility.

Gaming on that thing would be awesome.

Imagine a headset which has a high quality semi transparent screen with great visibility. Gaming on that thing would be awesome.
Not necessarily. You then have to split your concentration on the realworld and your game.
It's fine if you don't "get" the Rift - in the same way some people don't "get" the Pandora. If it's not for you, don't worry about it.

It's fine if you don't "get" the Rift - in the same way some people don't "get" the Pandora. If it's not for you, don't worry about it.
Well, I will buy one and see if the final version will be better.

I see several nice uses for it.

I simply don't see the point why it's hyped that much.

Not necessarily. You then have to split your concentration on the realworld and your game.
But that's what I want.

I want to be able to recognize real world.

I heavily dislike closed headphones in train/ bus.

OK, I have to turn my open ones on low volume to not disturber others and I don't hear the music clear.

But it has one real big advantage: I hear everything around me.

Same here: I always see the "on the go" factor.

Playing with my 3DS ans Pandora is nice but I have to concentrate on the screen.

For me it would be fantastic of I can still see through my screen to face full awareness of about what happens.

Hopefully some headset which allows this use case will come at some time.

I know I'm on a pretty lone position here but it's what I would see the ultimate game and real world experience.

The Rift and omni combination is a nice gadget I will get at some pint.

But just for the experience, not for most games I play (still Nintendo fanboy).

For me the Future is Augmented Reality and semi transparent screens as these allow immediate interaction with real world when needed.

For me the Future is Augmented Reality and semi transparent screens as these allow immediate interaction with real world when needed.
I have my doubts that this will work out. You won't be able to concentrate on both, the "best" thing that could happen is that you get irritated by movements in the real world.

Could only find this clip from 1992's "Toys" (on youtube) in Italian -

https://www.youtube.com/embed/QAwDCblpNHA?feature=oembed

The conversation at the end of her VR rafting is, more or less,

"I love it! But I'm not sure about having to stick these things up my nose."

"They go in your ears"

Back