Analog Joystick

.Gogeta§§J4BR.

that brazilian guy =`]
Website
robertocr.com
In the latest Blog post, you can see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdJ2V7ltxg
what do you guys think? I find it weird that it can rotate around the thumb plane :( and I also think its ackward that it can get bent towards the system, as if it could scratch the pandora case.
As if the analog nub (the place where you place your thumb) isn't very fixed to the axis. what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i thinks its really the only option for mobile systems, the psp has one ( but it sucks) because the normal type of joystick would be too thick to build in, or at least, that's how i learned it, please, if I'm wrong do correct me.

Does this joystick act as a button when you press down on it? (like the PS2 and PS3 joysticks?)

no button on the joystick they decided to add more room rather than add a button (or rather we decided that as a community through polls and they implemented it)

It's much better than the 1.5mm that we were going to have, but I must say, the fact that it can rotate is a bit odd, I agree that it may make gameplay in fast-paced FPS games like Quake 3 awkward. The fact that this one lacks the rubbery/textured grip of the original is also quite disappointing, IMO. I'm sure that the stick will inevitably touch the case over time, but so did the PSP stick and I really didn't care then.

Overall, I'd call it a good recovery from a bad situation. :p

CronoTriggerfan said:
... this one lacks the rubbery/textured grip of the original is also quite disappointing, IMO. ...
You could just throw some duck tape onto it for a more textured feel. Not pretty, but it could work. :p

I'm more worried about its height/thickness than anything else to be honest. It seems as like there will be a lot of wasted space due to the room needed to fit the analogs.

The rotation could be a good thing. A bit of give means your thumb will stay in place on the stick without sliding, if for example you adjust the position of your hands slightly while playing (something I do sometimes due to RSI).

Tinnus said:
I'm more worried about its height/thickness than anything else to be honest. It seems as like there will be a lot of wasted space due to the room needed to fit the analogs.
I think it is alread figured out: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43741

I notice that the battery is the reason for most of the depth :D.

nubie said:
Tinnus said:
I think it is alread figured out: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43741

I notice that the battery is the reason for most of the depth :D.

Yes, I actualy got my impression strenghtened when I looked at these renderings...

the psp analog doesn't rotate, and it certainly is very annoying to play with rotating analogs over time (believe me, I used to play psx at my uncle's with a rotating-analog like this and it was pretty annoying)

at 0:23 you can clearly see it can get seriously bent to scratch the pandora surface. the problem is that the friction will cause your movement to stop, and this is horrible to experience (because everytime you'll have to keep thinking about it, because you don't want that hadouken to fail)

some answers:

schnitzelboy: wrong, beeing a portable doesn't mean it needs to rotate, nor bend that much, loot at the psp analog.

CoMiKe: it may not bend that much (to touch the pandora), but it definitely bends a lot (from 0:23 to 0:28 he SHOWS it).

DAP/Ashwin: they have chosen one that doesn't click (center button) but has a longer travel(you can pull it further).

CronoTriggerfan: it definitely can ruin your gameplay. cmom, you are emulating systems that DON'T have a rotating analog! grip is everything.
"I'm sure that the stick will inevitably touch the case over time, but so did the PSP stick and I really didn't care then" - well, the psp did it but thank god it wasn't that much, because its awful to play with an analog that gets stuck (and the psp one didn't ever get stuck). plus, the psp analog is easily changeable, for anyone tastes ;)

javaJake: oh yeah, as if I was supposed to make my mind over what the developers say, and not what I have used to play with my whole life.

magicman5421: which old one? the one with center click and shorter travel? well, I don't care, the problem is that the final analog stick that was chosen has those problems!

Defo: I'd hate to have to mod it as soon as it arrives... sounds too gp2x'ish

Tinnus: I'm definitely more worried with something that is crucial when it comes to gaming: the controls. I hope no one gets sad to receive a hell of a nicely-planned product like this with an analog that sucks.

Gruso: the rotation certainly isnt a good thing, it's painful and annoying to play with a rotating analog. you can enjoy it for a small time, maybe get used to it, but it certainly is worse than a stable analog (like the psp, ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox, 360, n64, gamecube, wii, etc) (they haven't kept the design for no reason, right?)

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
the psp analog doesn't rotate, and it certainly is very annoying to play with rotating analogs over time (believe me, I used to play psx at my uncle's with a rotating-analog like this and it was pretty annoying)

at 0:23 you can clearly see it can get seriously bent to scratch the pandora surface. the problem is that the friction will cause your movement to stop, and this is horrible to experience (because everytime you'll have to keep thinking about it, because you don't want that hadouken to fail)

some answers:

schnitzelboy: wrong, beeing a portable doesn't mean it needs to rotate, nor bend that much, loot at the psp analog.

CoMiKe: it may not bend that much (to touch the pandora), but it definitely bends a lot (from 0:23 to 0:28 he SHOWS it).

DAP/Ashwin: they have chosen one that doesn't click (center button) but has a longer travel(you can pull it further).

CronoTriggerfan: it definitely can ruin your gameplay. cmom, you are emulating systems that DON'T have a rotating analog! grip is everything.
"I'm sure that the stick will inevitably touch the case over time, but so did the PSP stick and I really didn't care then" - well, the psp did it but thank god it wasn't that much, because its awful to play with an analog that gets stuck (and the psp one didn't ever get stuck). plus, the psp analog is easily changeable, for anyone tastes ;)

javaJake: oh yeah, as if I was supposed to make my mind over what the developers say, and not what I have used to play with my whole life.

magicman5421: which old one? the one with center click and shorter travel? well, I don't care, the problem is that the final analog stick that was chosen has those problems!

Defo: I'd hate to have to mod it as soon as it arrives... sounds too gp2x'ish

Tinnus: I'm definitely more worried with something that is crucial when it comes to gaming: the controls. I hope no one gets sad to receive a hell of a nicely-planned product like this with an analog that sucks.

Gruso: the rotation certainly isnt a good thing, it's painful and annoying to play with a rotating analog. you can enjoy it for a small time, maybe get used to it, but it certainly is worse than a stable analog (like the psp, ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox, 360, n64, gamecube, wii, etc) (they haven't kept the design for no reason, right?)

First off, the original stick had how much travel with the click? I thought that this was not as much as the first stick, but more than the stick they were looking at to replace it.

Second, I don't see it hitting the surface of anything, check the renders for the final case yourself: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43741

How exactly is it going to "touch the face" of the what now?

I don't think you can successfully compare it to an analog thumbstick, it is an analog slider.

Also we aren't sure what it will be like to use, or even what we would use it on (although I can see your burning need for playing ape escape PSX :) :lol: )

It is going to be tiny like the PSP right? I always felt that the PSP slider should have rotated. Trust me in a sliding configuration with the amount of movement your thumb can generate a spinning top is a very good way to go.

Just look at the physics of the situation, imagine moving with the pivot being scrubbing your thumb, it will bind and be very difficult. But with a spinner your thumb no longer performs pivot duties.

This is much different than the PSP or any of the controllers you mentioned anyway.

nubie said:
First off, the original stick had how much travel with the click? I thought that this was not as much as the first stick, but more than the stick they were looking at to replace it.
If I remember correctly, the original stick had 2.5mm of travel (and click). When that became unavailable, the choice was between this one and one that had the click, but only 1 mm of travel.

I'm still not over the reflective analog wells.
i may have to do a mod when its out, find the most reflective paint...

nubie said:
Second, I don't see it hitting the surface of anything, check the renders for the final case yourself: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43741

How exactly is it going to "touch the face" of the what now?

Take a look at about 0:22 of the new nub video, you will see that the nub tilts under pressure (presumably because, if it were rigid, it wouldn't last too long unless there was something between the base and the disc).

Conceivably, all that rubbing can wear away, and I'm not entirely trusting of that extrusion that separates the disc from the base either, personally.

I kind of wish there was some sort of click, but it certainly isn't crucial and could possibly even get in the way with a device like this (unintentional clicks). While the new stick isn't up to spec with the older one, I don't really have that big of a problem as long as it is durable, lasts, and doesn't feel crappy. I believe Craig praised how smooth the stick was a while back.

Back