Nub-Settings Video

Awakening

Website
www.digitalawakening.se
You can find the latest video from ED here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV_dnjBkImo

Question:
I like the setup of using the left nub to control the mouse and the right one for scrolling, will be great for web browsing. I recall you used the thumb buttons as home, end, pgup and pgdown. Are the triggers used for anything? They would be nice to use as mouse buttons. Or since there's one direction left on the right nub perhaps that could be used to activate scroll on the left nub?

Hey guys!
I just wanted to remind you that there's a new video floating around!

Nub-Settings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV_dnjBkImo&feature=player_embedded

Awakening said:
You can find the latest video from ED here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV_dnjBkImo

Question:
I like the setup of using the left nub to control the mouse and the right one for scrolling, will be great for web browsing. I recall you used the thumb buttons as home, end, pgup and pgdown. Are the triggers used for anything? They would be nice to use as mouse buttons. Or since there's one direction left on the right nub perhaps that could be used to activate scroll on the left nub?

L and R are RShift and RCtrl. The "Activate scroll" would theoretically be possible, yes. Don't know how hard it is or if it makes it into first release, but the idea isn't too bad.

Last edited:
Looks very cool, but joystick move=button click is plain wierd (until I go play & like ;))

Surely the X&Y buttons are handily placed to become mouse buttons
are they nipples if you're using the nubs as a mouse
heh heh. He said use the nubs if you don't want to grab your stick
etc.
nevermind

typically *nix where everything is configurable so nothing is standard anymore :rolleyes:

Well, that answer the "nubs as scroll wheel" question :D
Which is what I intended to use the left one for, stylus in the right hand for tap-clicking.

gp32rich said:
Looks very cool, but joystick move=button click is plain wierd (until I go play & like ;) )

Surely the X&Y buttons are handily placed to become mouse buttons

But then you don't have page up and page down any more :)

I love webbrowsing the way it is: Use the nubs to select and click, use the DPAD and Buttons to scroll and do Page Up / Down :)

Last edited:
WizardStan said:
Well, that answer the "nubs as scroll wheel" question :D
Which is what I intended to use the left one for, stylus in the right hand for tap-clicking.
I suspect I will do something similar myself actually :) Hard to decide exactly how I want it set up.

ED:
Is there a chance of getting multiple profiles so we can switch the settings depending on the situation?

Oh, and does the windows and web browser support drag scrolling, that is dragging the stylus inside the window makes it scroll? That would be really handy for those who only want to use the stylus or their finger.

Last edited by a moderator:
nub mouse action! very nice. I like the idea of using one nub for scrolling. I agree that nub mouse click would be weird but sounds very interesting.

Question: will the web browser be capable of zooming and what buttons will control that?

EvilDragon said:
L and R are RShift and RCtrl.

How difficult would it be to redefine them as mouse buttons? My guess is that it shouldn't be too hard.

It's hard to know without having used a Pandora but I suspect it would be a lot more useful to me to have the shoulder buttons as mouse buttons, as we already have shift & control on the keyboard.

PS Nice video ED, keep em coming.

Mr Loon said:
EvilDragon said:
L and R are RShift and RCtrl.

How difficult would it be to redefine them as mouse buttons? My guess is that it shouldn't be too hard.

It's hard to know without having used a Pandora but I suspect it would be a lot more useful to me to have the shoulder buttons as mouse buttons, as we already have shift & control on the keyboard.

PS Nice video ED, keep em coming.

I'm using my Xbox 360 pad with xpadder right now to browse this forum with LB and RB as left and right clicks, using LB works great as I can browse one-handed(...err...that sounded creepy :D ).

Just changed the mouse clicks to the right analogue stick like in ED's vid...it feels weird, kinda uncomfortable TBH.

The dpad isn't fully used, you can make the left and right on the Dpad as left and right click mouse buttons, that would make more sense...
Leave the pgup pgdn functionality on the up and down and live without the middle mouse as it is mostly not very useful for web browsing and day to day operations.

Love the nub action, thanks ED!

WOW, Thanks Ed! Great vid!

I know I have said it before, but this "FUCKING THING IS GOING TO BE AWESOME"! :lol:

A big nod to all the guys who have put there heart and soul into this project. I really don't see anything coming close for awhile. Every video just shows more and more of how well thought out everything really is. The delays have been way painful, but it looks like everyone has spent the time to make something everyone can be very proud of! Great Job!

Thank You,
Chris

centus said:
Leave the pgup pgdn functionality on the up and down and live without the middle mouse as it is mostly not very useful for web browsing and day to day operations.
I might have to disagree, there - middle-click pasting is a hugely useful Linux feature... :p

EvilDragon said:
Awakening said:

Question:

L and R are RShift and RCtrl. The "Activate scroll" would theoretically be possible, yes. Don't know how hard it is or if it makes it into first release, but the idea isn't too bad.

I think that the best setup would be the following:

Left nub for moving the mouse
Right nub for scrolling
L and R for the two mouse buttons

This way, you can control everything without ever changing the position of your hands. (and I think that we'll need to use the scrolling function a lot, because most websites are wider than 800 pixels).

Is it possible to set up something like that?

In the nub mode setup screen you can choose to use your nub as a joystick. Does that mean, the the nubs normally won't be recognised as joysticks?
Or are they automatically configured as joysticks when you start a game?

Considering user interfaces: I like if programmers/designers develop intelligent standard user interactions, which the average user easily and willingly adopts, but that at the same time, as much freedom as possible is left for alternative configurations. Quoting gp32rich, "typically *nix where everything is configurable so nothing is standard anymore". ;-)

Considering control: I prefer analog (=scalar values) controls (such as the nubs) for "scalar" actions (such as movement, scrolling) and digital (=on/off values) hardware controls (such as buttons) for singular events (such as clicks).

But as often, there are exceptions to the rules, and this is where freedom comes in handy! Technically seen, positional jumping (i.e. to beginning/end/previous/next) is a singular event, but from my user logic, it is more related to "movement", hence I'd prefer to put it onto a analog hardware control.

Summarized:
Mouse position -> primary nub (freedom of choice for left/right-handers)
Mouse clicks -> ABXY buttons (my personal preference) or secondary nub
Positional jumps -> Secondary nub (my personal preference) or ABXY buttons

Back