Latest Keyboard Layout

'Alpha2' said:
Actually the thing that got me was al this talk of sticky keys. I figured you'd simply tap the shift and the next key you press would be the shifted keypress and the same for the FN rather than holding anything down to hit the next key.

Yeah. That's what sticky keys is...
Most implementations I've used *also* let you hold-and-press using both thumbs, so both options should be available. When the key and modifier are on opposite sides of the board, it is quicker and easier to position both thumbs, then *click-click* for the keystroke. Using the sticky-key feature on adjacent keys involves moving the same thumb to press each, and is significantly slower. Not a big deal, but less convenient. So on the example keys, typing : should be faster than typing <, whether using the sticky feature or not.

to be honest I dont even use the FN button on my keyboard so I'm not really familiar with how or why it's used because my laptop keyboard only show FN icons on the F keys.

On your laptop it is probably only used for things like screen brightness control and the like. On the Pandora you'll be using it to type almost all punctuation symbols, so it's a *bit* more important.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Alpha2' said:
Actually the thing that got me was al this talk of sticky keys. I figured you'd simply tap the shift and the next key you press would be the shifted keypress and the same for the FN rather than holding anything down to hit the next key. I mean frankly I dont see why you'd ever really need to pres two buttons at one time with sticky keys

Pressing down two at once is for those who prefer not to use sticky keys, otherwise you've got it right =]
Beat me to it ;P

'Alpha2' said:
I just want my pandora and I want it confortable for everyday use.

Amen to that =D
&@ Steve - lol

'RavenX' said:
When I started looking at the latest layout, I got concerned about one little thing. It looks to me like Shift-Insert will be very hard to press or even impossible due to the 2 simultaneous keypresses limitation and this is pretty important combination as it serves as "Paste" in many shell terminals. I know that I use it far more than Ctrl-V for pasting, and I do a lot of copy-pasting when programming, lol.
Am I wrong?
Totally, set -o vi will fix that and make your shell work correctly.

'Kagato' said:
Yeah. That's what sticky keys is...
Most implementations I've used *also* let you hold-and-press using both thumbs, so both options should be available. When the key and modifier are on opposite sides of the board, it is quicker and easier to position both thumbs, then *click-click* for the keystroke. Using the sticky-key feature on adjacent keys involves moving the same thumb to press each, and is significantly slower. Not a big deal, but less convenient. So on the example keys, typing : should be faster than typing <, whether using the sticky feature or not.

to be honest I dont even use the FN button on my keyboard so I'm not really familiar with how or why it's used because my laptop keyboard only show FN icons on the F keys.

On your laptop it is probably only used for things like screen brightness control and the like. On the Pandora you'll be using it to type almost all punctuation symbols, so it's a *bit* more important.
I guess it's just the wierd way I learned to type makes it less intuative to me. Makes me horrible at fighting games too.

'Sphinxter' said:
'RavenX' said:
When I started looking at the latest layout, I got concerned about one little thing. It looks to me like Shift-Insert will be very hard to press or even impossible due to the 2 simultaneous keypresses limitation and this is pretty important combination as it serves as "Paste" in many shell terminals. I know that I use it far more than Ctrl-V for pasting, and I do a lot of copy-pasting when programming, lol.
Am I wrong?

And just how does setting vi-style command line editing help me when pasting from shell window to shell window when I have side by side editor windows or I am using a tabbed terminal?

'RavenX' said:
'Sphinxter' said:
'RavenX' said:
Am I wrong?

And just how does setting vi-style command line editing help me when pasting from shell window to shell window when I have side by side editor windows or I am using a tabbed terminal?

First you'll have to realize it isn't windows, under X just highlight and click, no copy needed.

Back