An update of the waiting game

Pyra_curse.png

:D:-#

I'm actually getting quite optimistic about the Pyra, I'm hoping for a mid to late summer release :D!
[doublepost=1525567826,1525567739][/doublepost]I'm also guessing that it's normal for news to slowdown like this when we get near the end, right?;)

I'm also guessing that it's normal for news to slowdown like this when we get near the end, right?;)

That's the theory: less problems to discuss.

However, I'm anticipating a fresh influx of news when prototypes are built; it's going to feel like the longest time between the green light on production and getting mine, so I'll be living vicariously through videos from lucky early reviewers and software updates until then :)

That's the theory: less problems to discuss.

However, I'm anticipating a fresh influx of news when prototypes are built; it's going to feel like the longest time between the green light on production and getting mine, so I'll be living vicariously through videos from lucky early reviewers and software updates until then :)
Nothing can quite compare with the gap between Pandora prototypes going out and the majority of us getting ours. I ordered originally after I saw some of those videos of prototypes, and it wasn't until Evildragon took up the mantle of getting them made that I paid to shift to the more reliable production (and also took the opportunity to upgrade to a 1GHz model). In the interim we had a certain near-geordie going not so quietly mad, then offering the 1GHz model ahead of all us who were waiting faithfully for our CC Pandoras, and the saga of no news and 'what's your order number?'.

Not that I'm bitter. ED saved the day in the end and sold us units that outperformed even our wildest expectations.

I was, and still am, very bitter at the 'premium preorder' thing. Ordered on day 1, waiting years, waited out all the excuses and delays, then watching someone walk right up with a handfull of money and get theirs (which in all likelihood, numerically, would have been mine) in a matter of days/weeks. More infuriating is that some never ended up getting theirs, although I think most day 1 preorders ended up getting theirs eventually at least.

Completely understand the utility and purpose behind that whole thing, (insolvency bankruptcy prevention) but it didn't make it any less bullshit from a consumer perspective. That should be marked pretty high up in the top 10 things you don't ever do to a waiting fan/customer base.

To add salt to the wound I was also a icontrolpad2 backer. At least I can say I was legit conned on that whole ordeal, strange is I'm not nearly as upset with the icp2 as I was with the pandora preorder thing and I did eventually end up getting a pandora after several more years of waiting unlike the icp2. Very strange where I focus my anger.

Last edited:
Whe cant compare the situation on Pandora and on Pyra:
I remember there where years between the first Pandora Mass Produktion Units and the Unit i got ..
There is no Circuitco, no Chinese Case Factory, no Craig,
let i tbee a few months after the final prototyphs, its still faster than Pandora..

Would be nice to have it during the summer, but I will be happy to get it when it's done. I am done trying to guess when it will be out.

@SNESFAN iirc I received some (not all) money back from the ICP2 debacle. I too was a first day orderer for the Pandora, but mine was sent to me by CraigX in the very first batch.
But yes, I get where you're coming from. I didn't like the whole 'pay more to receive a Pandora first' thing either. That was a bad call imo.
Hell... I didn't like the fact that so soon after the Pandora Classic, the Rebirth and GHz came out, I felt a bit cheated on...

All ended well (for me) though.. I upgraded my classic to GHz and am still happy with my Pandora. I can't complain.

The Pyra is becoming a running joke here... People are asking me whether I have it yet almost weekly and I keep on defending it/explaining what's going on and why it's not out yet. I truly hope it won't be all that much longer anymore. The prolonged waiting is making me a sad panda...

I think the PYRA project (originally refferred to as the Pandora 2) has been running for 5 years now. .

Roughly 3 years until the start of the pre-orders and then the pre-orders have been going for 2 years

@SNESFAN iirc I received some (not all) money back from the ICP2 debacle. I too was a first day orderer for the Pandora, but mine was sent to me by CraigX in the very first batch.
But yes, I get where you're coming from. I didn't like the whole 'pay more to receive a Pandora first' thing either. That was a bad call imo.
Hell... I didn't like the fact that so soon after the Pandora Classic, the Rebirth and GHz came out, I felt a bit cheated on...

All ended well (for me) though.. I upgraded my classic to GHz and am still happy with my Pandora. I can't complain.

The Pyra is becoming a running joke here... People are asking me whether I have it yet almost weekly and I keep on defending it/explaining what's going on and why it's not out yet. I truly hope it won't be all that much longer anymore. The prolonged waiting is making me a sad panda...

hehe the same joke ran on my work about the pandora, I recently met an old collegue and he asked me about the pandora, I said I still use it but I'm waiting on the sequel... he just laughed and said that that did sound familiar to him :D

I'm still excited about the Pyra, and am glad to hear of the news that things are moving along.

While I get the point @fusion_power is making, I think the pyra being a complicated device is what we signed up for.
I can accept the argument that if the Pyra were simpler it probably would of been out the door sooner, but I think a Pyra with less features would have a harder time gaining any kind of traction.
Even with an older CPU the Pyra is still a viable device despite GPD and Psion because of the number of features and flexibility it offers.

Additionally since some of that added complexity is from the design allowing upgradeable CPU boards, an upgraded version of the Pyra should be able to be developed faster and cheaper since the design only has to focus on a new CPU board.

I think that i will get much more use out of the Pyra than the win,

more Ports,
a keyboard with back light,
a modem,
a user replaceable battery,
triple sd card slot,
hopefully a great amp (+ headphone jack),
a screen with stylus for small gui items,

etc are not all strictly necessary. But are the reason for which i plan to use the Pyra over the win2.

Also something not every device has, is such a highly skilled and active community.
For example recently i played around with bzar's FunKeyMonkey project (which builds first try, without reading any documentation).

Back