Quick update and summary

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Feb 6, 2019.

1. spud42

spud42 Very Active Member

30 is not a typical speed used with Kmh... 40,50 are now used to slow you down near schools 60,80 and 100 are the most common open road speeds.... at least here in Australia. some highways go up to 110 on longer stretches ...

2. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Here in Germany 30 km/h is the go to slow-you-down speed, standard in towns and such is 50, on some streets 60 or 70 is explicitly allowed, outside towns and such 100, and on the Autobahn you may do Mach 7 or whatever, if you can.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 12, 2019 at 2:26 PM, Original Post Date: Mar 12, 2019 at 2:16 PM ---
    Oh, I missed the point, I guess.
    Speed signs you may see here: 10, 20, 30, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, <no limit>.
    The latter looking like that [​IMG]
    It may have the content of the restrictive sign it cancels greyed out, if it's meant to be more specific.

spud42 likes this.
  3. spud42

most suburbs are 40 here too , not that most slow down . suburban streets used to be 60 and too many people still go that fast. in the Northern Territory it used to be unlimited on the main north south highway but i think in recent years that has been limited to 140. fastest road legal speed in Australia.

4. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Apropos Australia - the Woolshed in Cairns still standing?

5. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Maybe, but I would rather look to the things that have changed already. Bags of sugar are now stated as being 450g which is slightly smaller than a traditional imperial pound, but close enough, although more recently they seem to have become 500g due to larger bags simplifying to 1kg (rather than 900g) and even bigger ones becoming 2kg (rather than 1.8kg). Beer bottles used to be pint sized (some 568ml to the nearest ml), but are far more commonly 500ml these days, in the other direction.

I suspect the same will happen to doors in time. A 76cm door will fit a 30 inch frame with only an extra 2mm on the gap at the bottom, and presumably a smaller gap at the latch side which is unlikely to cause any problems in latching. Granted, if you were building a frame for an older 30 inch door and you assumed it was 76cm, depending on how close to the standard the door was, it won't fit, but it's a poor carpetenter who makes a door frame without measuring the door first.

Maybe windows would be a better example, but as far as I've found those are generally specifically cut to size by the glazer, because the holes in building can and are in practice almost any size and shape.

Djoga'Ro likes this.
  6. ible

ible one using vim and i3

Thrice in CA, twice in ND, once in the NL
    In some sense, Fahrenheit is more "precise" than Celsius, since each degree of Celsius is 1.8 degrees of Fahrenheit. i prefer this extra precision if we are only allowed whole numbers for setting the thermostat. (it is the reverse for inches and cm, obviously).

but the limit of this argument are units that are infinitesimal, which is obviously not ideal. i do think that Fahrenheit, with the idea of putting reasonable things within the range 0-100 (general range of temperatures experienced by humans), is nice.

km/h is another more precise unit of measurement compared to mph, but here i feel like it is unnecessary precision, since highway speeds exceed 100 km/h (80 mph = 129 km/h), and neighborhood speeds (25 mph) are already way up at 40 km/h.

of course i may have inherited bias...

levi likes this.
  7. spud42

no idea. havent been to Cairns for over 10 years.. even though Brisbane and Cairns are both in Queensland, Cairns is an 19 hour drive away 1608 Km almost 1000 Miles..

8. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

That I've been was so long ago, I have no feel for Australia's size no more. But I remember that the flight there in economy class was torturously long.

spud42 likes this.
  9. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Then you get into perceptual measures.
    In the US, 100 miles is a short distance and 100 years is a long time.
    In Europe, 100 miles is a long distance and 100 years is a short time;

levi, gpsqueeek and Djoga'Ro like this.
  10. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

but 2 months are perceived the same everywhere

Grench, gpsqueeek, Kuro and 1 other person like this.
  11. Binky

Binky Death's Steed Staff Member

Apparently some roads have them:

roi_ni_speed_limit_border.jpg

spud42 likes this.
  12. jacob martinelli

jacob martinelli Newbie

I was basically trying to make a joke, instead of show me your boobies tifa, show me your pyra or something, I was probably intoxicated or hung over

13. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

uh... is that in ON Topic or OFF Topic units?

2 unlimited!

My first thought was a doom wad: Hmm.. that would make an awesome doom map.

Show me your nubs, Pyra!

Djoga'Ro likes this.