Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

Austin25

Wow. We were able to take a thread of randomness and give it topic. Reverse 4chan.

edit: nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stradian

Wow. We were able to take a thread of randomness and give it topic. Reverse 4chan.

▲ ▲

Don't do

Don't try to triforce this way ^. unless you are running linux or osx

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
Don't try to triforce this way ^. unless you are running linux or osx
Or unless you are running in a VM.

I snapshotted, just in case I want it back later.

It's Windows XP, not sure what service pack. Maybe 3.

First, it asked me if I was sure about "c:\WINDOWS\system32\*". The asterisk must mean a triforce, so yes, I'm sure.

Then it said "access denied" for a bunch of things.

Then after a while the window just closed.

So I went to open Firefox. Instead I got this dialog saying some important files had been replaced with "unrecognized versions", and I should put in the Windows CD to fix them. Nope.

Solitaire is still working great. Aw, I lost.

Actually, scratch that, Firefox just started and Qt Creator did too. They seem to be working okay. Wikipedia loads...

But no triforce

And when I restart, it says, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: (Windows root)/system32/hal.dll" except the slashes are backslashes, because it's Windows. "Please re-install a copy of the above file"

Prometheus

^ Make it so! [/Not Red Dwarf]

Then post pictures!

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
If only there was ad-block for tv...
I've been thinking about this for a while now, too.

I also recently got DirectTV, so I simply need a device that can intercept composite or component video, be trained to recognize the video (or audio? might be simpler) patterns of commercials, then automatically replace them with a "Lame commercial goes here" image and music of my choosing.

If I knew more about the algorithms needed, and had a lot of money to drop on electronics equipment, I would do it.

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site

I also recently got DirectTV, so I simply need a device that can intercept composite or component video, be trained to recognize the video (or audio? might be simpler) patterns of commercials, then automatically replace them with a "Lame commercial goes here" image and music of my choosing.

If I knew more about the algorithms needed, and had a lot of money to drop on electronics equipment, I would do it.

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
Buddha Cat b/w cherry tomatoes
Yeah but I don't know that much about programming microcontrollers, much less getting one to read a video signal. I think the cutting-off could be done with a relay, should be the simplest way for someone who doesn't understand electronics well, and would make cool noises.

Austin25

I think it would be simpler with sound. I would try a voice recognition algorithm. Also, with a DVR, it would be a good idea to automatically fast forward.

Prometheus

I'm happy to report that there's this great bit of pre-existing technology that can already be applied to the purpose of blocking television advertisements, guys.

It's called a "remote control". :p