Damn, This Is Gonna Be Close!

So much depends on whether the Chinese company gets the first 1000 approved cases out before the CNY. I wouldn't bet that they manage that.

It would make them unique, based on my other experiences with being told "the product you want is perfect now, we can start manufacturing as soon as you OK the latest samples", if they actually had the conviction of their statements and went ahead and started MP of the cases before the go-ahead. If the molds are perfect then they can't be improved, and they could actually have 3000 or more cases ready to ship by the time MWeston gave the "go" word.

But life's rarely like that, and supplier's 100% is rarely the same as customer's 100% - and no-one is willing to take the risk and start MP when the product could turn out to be still not good enough :( Business smiles brightly whilst holding a shield over its R's :D

UPS, you suck balls! :p

1 extra day isn't a super big deal, we where all shocked the cases would arrive so quickly, now the reality sets in. If the cases are good, there is still no reason the mould factory can't get the 1000 done and shipped out well before the holiday. They should also be able to produce the remaining amount, and have them ready and waiting to ship as soon as all the holiday hold ups clear!

This just goes to show once again, that even in the home stretch, we are destined to trip over a hurdle before the finish! I would expect 1 or 2 more before it is all said and done! ;)

Chris

user47alpha said:
craigix said:
We are not going to try to get the full 4000, rather just 1000 shipped well before the New Year to make sure it does not ship but then get stuck in China.

So they will ship 1000 and then 9000? How long are the holidays for the factory? UPS has 3 days. ( http://www.ups.com/content/hk/en/resources/ship/imp_exp/operation.html ) So if the factory has two weeks or something like that, maybe we (or you or someone) should rater risk that the paket get stuck in China (for max 3 days) then waiting the whole factory holidays for the rest...

Just my 2 cent...

They don't ship in batches, I think. They ship each one when it's done, so:
1000 Cases in
Sends out 950 all in line
Recieves new cases
Keeps shipping as they're finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, not impossible yet. That's only Monday, and a lot of us weren't expecting the package to reach MWeston before then. Even though there must be half a day or more out of synch between MWeston and China, there would still be room for a few thousand cases to be made and shipped *if* one were to allow for OpenPandora-like optimism (i.e. "If nothing goes wrong then...").

If MWeston were to Ok them Monday night, after work, then Shina should hear about it early/mid Tuesday their time. So maybe up to 1000 cases Tuesday and ship, 1000 cases Wednesday (and ship if they didn't get any made Tuesday), 1000 cases Thursday, 1000 cases Friday.

Tight. Damn tight. About as likely as finding chicken teeth in the street, but possible ;)

Is it the intention to make the Keymats/AV Cables at the same time, or have they been done already?

Well, considering the start of business on the 8th was the cut off to get 4000 done and shipped before the holiday(based on mould company estimates), it should still be possible to get those 1000 done and shipped in time. Getting the moulds on monday, and given approval late in the day will put the factory about 1-2 days behind! They say they are prepared and ready to start spitting them out, so all we can do now is hope, pray, and wait. B)

Chris

So, now is weather in way. I expecting snow falling (about 1 meter) and strong blizzard in Canada at Sunday. So no delivery at Monday :-(
---
Just kidding, don't take me seriously ;-)

Is there any guarantee that the factory is just sitting on their hands waiting for Michael to say go?

Looking pretty unlikely that they'll ship completed cases before CNY. I'm in the top 250 so I'd love even if they just shipped a few hundred, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm just asking myself right now: Which timezone counts for the cutoff date? The difference between Canada and China is something like 17 hours.

mali said:
I'm just asking myself right now: Which timezone counts for the cutoff date? The difference between Canada and China is something like 17 hours.

It's pretty much got to be in China hasn't it? As that's where the info is coming from and the holiday is held.

@mali

I would assume Go needs to happen this Tuesday or Wednesday the *absolute* latest. Canada-time.

shunun said:
Monk said:
No worries shunun - but I think the chances are reasonably high you'll have more than 2 weeks to wait :(

What I meant was I hope I won't be waiting to weeks longer than the people who are from 0-1000 etc. Personally I don't think the cases will be shipping until sometime after the Chinese new year, because getting everything done in the last couple of day's is just so optimistic. but that's just my opinion ;)

Considering that the people in the top 1000+ have been waiting over a year, you have a lot of room before you will have waited "to <two> weeks longer".

I ordered over a year ago. My rough estimation puts my order somewhere in the 3,000 +/- 500 range. I haven't bugged them about it. Yes, sooner would be good. However, I do not hold a grudge for those who will receive theirs first. Instead, celebrate that this thing is finally going to start shipping.

/IMHO [We're all working on the assumption that the cases are "right" on this evaluation run and that the production run will maintain that level of quality. For the test run I could see where the factory may run off 1000-2000 cases, hand select the very best 100 or so of them and send them for evaluation. The other 1900 would be thrown in the batch of 4,000 - meaning that they would only have to produce another 2,100 to meet the shipping quantity.

So, I'm hopeful for them getting 4,000 out the door before the holiday. I'm a bit concerned that the production quality may not match to the evaluation sample. I would not be surprised if 10-20% of the case parts received will have to be binned. See the section of that "Brits get rich in China" video where the guy is evaluating his counter tops. The product put forward for inspection is almost certainly going to be better than the bulk of the product.

Hopefully the OpenPandora team negotiated into their contract that any goods delivered out of spec would be refunded or replaced.] /IMHO

So, you've only been at this for 3 months. Cool your jets and relax. Even if you're still "Two Months" from getting yours from when the first people get theirs, you will still have waited 10+ months less than they did.

naples39 said:
Is there any guarantee that the factory is just sitting on their hands waiting for Michael to say go?

None.

naples39 said:
Looking pretty unlikely that they'll ship completed cases before CNY. I'm in the top 250 so I'd love even if they just shipped a few hundred, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

That's the attitude to have IMHO - if you get nothing, no shock, if you get a Pandora, huge smiles!

mali said:
So the "go" has to come on Sunday Canada-time.

I hope not, because they aren't scheduled to get to him until Monday - and I assume (possibly incorrectly) that he'll be at work for much of the day, so may not see them until late Monday (assuming that he can collect from UPS or whoever on a same day basis) or... too many variables, but he won't have them if the ED twitter is accurate and UPS won't deliver until Monday.

However, if the cutoff day for shipping is the 12th, say, that still gives China several days to knock out some cases, pack them, and send them off. Not beyond the bounds of possibility IF the cases are as good as we all hope.

I'm in the top 300 or so and I will be absolutely shocked if I receive my Pandora before April. How anyone around these boards can actually think the best case scenario is going to play out and they'll start shipping Pandoras in a couple weeks is beyond me. We've seen this movie before about a dozen times.

MooTheKow said:
I'm in the top 300 or so and I will be absolutely shocked if I receive my Pandora before April. How anyone around these boards can actually think the best case scenario is going to play out and they'll start shipping Pandoras in a couple weeks is beyond me. We've seen this movie before about a dozen times.

...and worn the pizza, and eaten the t-shirt. I think I have an annual pass to the movie and possibly the book rights. It's still kinda nice to see the optimism this side of the CNY news though - heartening that some folk can still have faith regardless of any evidence they've seen to date.

I can't really care about when it arrives anymore, it'll be either during of after my trip to Japan. I'd really hope to have it before though, but leaving next thursday, I could as well ask to land that plane when it arrives in Tokyo....

I'm guessing I'm about number 3995 or so... Hell, maybe even last place! :)
Didn't get an official # from Jacquelyn, it's probably not worth wasting her time to ask. I only ordered a month ago. I will be patient. I have a very slim amount of hope I'd be able to show it off at a gaming convention I'm hitting at the end of March, but I'm not planning on that.

Back