What Is The Status Of...

Plus people and animals. They're ridden with germs. Yuk!

craigix said:
Well after reading all that I need a drink!

Good job! The first step is admitting that you have a problem. This is your oprah moment :D

Last edited by a moderator:
rmm21 said:
That's some distorted assumption there. Quite a lot going on between your ears Pleng.

I'll let my girlfriend know that I need to enjoy life and stop planning our next trip to the Caribbean this summer.
Well, you are the one who made the all encompassing "if it's not good for you don't do it" statement. Flying (and really any sort of long distance travel) isn't good for you: it's dangerous, and a terrible cost to the environment. Ergo, either there are some things that are worth the risk (contradictory to your earlier statement), or you are a hypocrite. I don't think you're a hypocrite, so we say your earlier statement was just an over generalization of your actual feelings. Once we've established that there are some things that you feel are worth the risk, it becomes a matter of opinion as to how high that risk/reward bar is set, and the entire argument disappears.

edit: broken quotes, sorry.

WizardStan said:
rmm21 said:
That's some distorted assumption there. Quite a lot going on between your ears Pleng.

I'll let my girlfriend know that I need to enjoy life and stop planning our next trip to the Caribbean this summer.
Well, you are the one who made the all encompassing "if it's not good for you don't do it" statement. Flying (and really any sort of long distance travel) isn't good for you: it's dangerous, and a terrible cost to the environment. Ergo, either there are some things that are worth the risk (contradictory to your earlier statement), or you are a hypocrite. I don't think you're a hypocrite, so we say your earlier statement was just an over generalization of your actual feelings. Once we've established that there are some things that you feel are worth the risk, it becomes a matter of opinion as to how high that risk/reward bar is set, and the entire argument disappears.
Well put, I agree. I might also add that the percieved reward as well as the degree of severity of bad consequences are also a matter of opinion. Someone may find skydiving to have too high a risk/reward factor, because he doesn't find it entertaining enough. Similarly, if you percieve small scratches to be something to avoid with all your might, even riding a bike may seem too dangerous.

aesir911 said:
over half of the deaths of russians from 1991 onwards (ages 15-54) is due to alcohol... you're screwed man... please finish the pandora first though :D !

Thats gotta be a lot of deaths too. I know the mafia was above the law for at least few of those years and killings were pretty rampant. A friend of mine from syberia told me in 99 that leaving your house was really dangerous and she had witnessed the mafia dumping bodies more than once.

Back